Need Health insurance plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balocger8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just Got accepted, they want me to show the proof of health insurance for the matriculation. Does anyone know the affordable and better plan health insurance? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might learn something new from this thread.:D Does this mean that not all schools offer an insurance plan to those who are not otherwise covered?

Yeah I was under the impression that all schools offered insurance coverage. In the event that you wanted to waive that coverage, you then needed to show proof of similar/adequate insurance coverage. Maybe this is what the OP is doing.

Yeah I was under the impression that all schools offered insurance coverage. In the event that you wanted to waive that coverage, you then needed to show proof of similar/adequate insurance coverage. Maybe this is what the OP is doing.

Thanks. That's the way I thought it was, but when I read the post I realized that I'd just assumed for no reason except that it seemed logical to me.

OP, is that the situation at your school, or are the students required to obtain their own insurance?

I was just looking over the student "budget" and noticed they've got about $220/month listed under health insurance. I've always had insurance offered through my job at about $50-80/month for a single person...$200-300 was always the rate for a family plan (of 3-unlimited members), so $220/month for a single, healthy medical student seems just about crazy! Now the budget might actually be an overestimate to make sure students can borrow everything they need...but assuming it's not, what other insurance is available? (it looks like the EHealthInsurance site is down right at this moment).

Health insurance for people under 25 is like Social Security for people under 40. We'll never see that money spent on us in our lifetimes.

I don't know...I've used my fair share of health insurance. I've had tonsils, appendix, and wisdom teeth all removed- that's quite a chunk of uninsured dough. BUT, this of course means I'm pretty much done- what else is there? Car insurance covers accident-related health. Barring some freak pedestrian situation or a rare disease from South America I really don't foresee needing more healthcare for a while.

I don't know...I've used my fair share of health insurance. I've had tonsils, appendix, and wisdom teeth all removed- that's quite a chunk of uninsured dough. BUT, this of course means I'm pretty much done- what else is there? Car insurance covers accident-related health. Barring some freak pedestrian situation or a rare disease from South America I really don't foresee needing more healthcare for a while.

:scared: :scared: :eek: :eek:

The first time you get a needle stick, you'll need it. You haven't had a kidney stone, yet? You've still got your kidneys, right? You'll want them insured, and your lungs, heart, brain. You've still got a LOT of stuff left worth insuring.

I was just looking over the student "budget" and noticed they've got about $220/month listed under health insurance. I've always had insurance offered through my job at about $50-80/month for a single person...$200-300 was always the rate for a family plan (of 3-unlimited members), so $220/month for a single, healthy medical student seems just about crazy!
$50-80/month is your portion of the payment while the company you work for picks up the tab. $200-$300/month is about average for low end medical coverage when you're paying it yourself.

You know how you always hear on the news about people complaining about how expensive health insurance is? They're not usually talking about the company sponsored version, they're talking about how much it costs when you have to foot the bill yourself, which is true for small business owners and contractors. For $250/month you can expect a big copay, a limited network and a high deductible.

Most med schools I looked at had school health insurance programs, usually running $100-$150/month for okay to great coverage.

$50-80/month is your portion of the payment while the company you work for picks up the tab. $200-$300/month is about average for low end medical coverage when you're paying it yourself.

You know how you always hear on the news about people complaining about how expensive health insurance is? They're not usually talking about the company sponsored version, they're talking about how much it costs when you have to foot the bill yourself, which is true for small business owners and contractors. For $250/month you can expect a big copay, a limited network and a high deductible.

Most med schools I looked at had school health insurance programs, usually running $100-$150/month for okay to great coverage.

Notdeadyet has this absolutely correct.

Most pre-meds have no idea how much people are paying for health insurance (or how much of the premium is being subsidized by the employer)...a typical family of 4 who have to obtain insurance privately (not offered or subsidized through a job, or self-employed) the cost can easily run $1,000 a month...and I have read articles where people with pre-existing conditions have as their only option premiums in the $2500 a month range...

Insurance for young single women can cost more if they have "pregnancy / child delivery" coverage (or whatever it is called)...the point being that not all insurance is equal - caveat emptor...

...and I have read articles where people with pre-existing conditions have as their only option premiums in the $2500 a month range...
Yeah, pre-existing conditions is the real curve ball that folks are quick to dismiss. My wife is an ESL teacher, where she works closely with recently arrived immigrants. She was exposed to TB (not uncommon) and went on INH for 6 months. This could happen to any premed who spent a lot of time in the ER.

She's fine, no worries, but now it's a pre-existing condition and when she went to work for herself and needed to get her own health insurance, it ran her a minimum of $500/month for low end blue cross.
Insurance for young single women can cost more if they have "pregnancy / child delivery" coverage (or whatever it is called)...the point being that not all insurance is equal - caveat emptor...
Some plans give a discount to women if they are on or switch to the IUD. This way they essentially can't get pregnant so insurers love to eliminate that money pit...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, pre-existing conditions is the real curve ball that folks are quick to dismiss.

A fairly common pre-existing condition among young people that will either disqualify you for coverage or result in high premiums: a history of asthma. And even if you have not had an asthma attack in years, it still will be used against you by the insurance companies...if you have ever been treated for acne, that is another one they will screw you over with...

If you have had a childhood cancer - even if you are in complete remission, man, you are in for a rude awakening when you go off your parents' plan and have to get your own...

The first time you get a needle stick, you'll need it. You haven't had a kidney stone, yet? You've still got your kidneys, right? You'll want them insured, and your lungs, heart, brain. You've still got a LOT of stuff left worth insuring.
Oh I'm not advocating going without insurance, only that I don't foresee needing to USE it very much in the next 10 years. ANYTHING could go wrong with my body, but at 23 with no health conditions or allergies of any kind, and no family history of any serious illnesses, I simply don't have the risk factors. But again, I was never advocating going without insurance altogether.

On the other hand, most state Medicaid programs would be available if anything major happened, and even perhaps for the minor stuff too, it just depends. But anyway, going without isn't an option, as almost every medical school I know of requires proof of insurance to attend. I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way to get bare-bones (hehe, is that a pun?) coverage.

My kidney stone incident last summer cost a lot (fortunately I have insurance)...and then all those test led to a diagnoses of a chronic disease which comes complete with 3 meds a day and bloodwork/visits every 3 months.

So I get my fair share

Oh and my insurance pays for my massages and weekly adjustments at the chiropractor!

Oh I'm not advocating going without insurance, only that I don't foresee needing to USE it very much in the next 10 years. ANYTHING could go wrong with my body, but at 23 with no health conditions or allergies of any kind, and no family history of any serious illnesses, I simply don't have the risk factors. But again, I was never advocating going without insurance altogether.

On the other hand, most state Medicaid programs would be available if anything major happened, and even perhaps for the minor stuff too, it just depends. But anyway, going without isn't an option, as almost every medical school I know of requires proof of insurance to attend. I'm just looking for the most cost-effective way to get bare-bones (hehe, is that a pun?) coverage.

my school requires a certain level of coverage, so you might want to look into that to be sure. they absolutely say that single coverage is not acceptable and that they will only accept a group policy that has the same level as what the school offers.
premiums are $225.

After I left my job at Hopkins, I had the option to continue my insurance with them (coverage was great), but at $900/mo.

You may consider looking at a high deductible health plan with a health savings account. Not sure if it fits into the med school's requirements but it is an option for healthier people. The deductibles are high so it basically covers you for catastrophic cases but you can contribute pre-tax money to the HSA and let it grow tax free to use for medical bills, and you can still keep the HSA even after you switch to a lower deductible plan (though you can't contribute more).

Any Massachusetts residents who get free coverage through Commonwealth Care (for those of who don't know, the state's experiment with universal health care)?

How does this apply to us (assuming we mainting MA residency?)

Two questions:

I am currently covered by my parents' health insurance. Is it universally true that once a dependent turns 23, they are no longer covered by that plan, even if they are in school for anything?

The second question is whether medical schools offer health insurance to their accepted applicants. If not, are there private insurance options? I am sorry, but I think someone should enlighten me on these two issues.

Two questions:

I am currently covered by my parents' health insurance. Is it universally true that once a dependent turns 23, they are no longer covered by that plan, even if they are in school for anything?

The second question is whether medical schools offer health insurance to their accepted applicants. If not, are there private insurance options? I am sorry, but I think someone should enlighten me on these two issues.
For my insurance it's 24. Most schools I've encountered offer and require insurance....but it's not like employer provided insurance where they pay 50%+ of the premiums. So using the word "offered" insurance by your medical school is being generous.

Any Massachusetts residents who get free coverage through Commonwealth Care (for those of who don't know, the state's experiment with universal health care)?

How does this apply to us (assuming we mainting MA residency?)

It doe not apply to students.

you just need to get quotes from various companies and choose plan which is cheapest for you