Need Help, 28 MCAT, 3.76 gpa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traviszj

TTZJZJ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a MAJOR pickle, I got a 28 (8/10/10) PS apparently killed me.. I didn't study a lot, hadn't taken the second half of ochem, kind of rushed it to avoid the new MCAT. I don't know if I should apply with that, or retake. It is literally the one score i didn't want to get because I knew how hard it would be to decide about.. My cgpa is 3.76 and sgpa 3.8, I have good ECs, (school gov, red cross board of directors, leadership position in school volunteer program, school cadaver lab coordinator, run a program to teach youth anatomy, those are a few..) Good shadowing hours, clinical experience, I am a Utah resident. WHAT DO I DO, any suggestions from anyone in similar situations or know someone from a similar situation? PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally retake if you feel you can do much better on the new one, but I understand that would be a huge time commitment. You can alternatively attempt applying and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
I would retake also. 28 isn't a bad score, but with a good GPA like yours, a higher MCAT would open many doors.

According to last year's data. You have a ~45% chance of acceptance right now with that GPA/MCAT combo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with the same MCAT score and a lower GPA and got an acceptance (I did plan to retake if I didn't get in this cycle). I think you can apply, but apply widely. Like very widely.
~45% chance of an acceptance isn't too bad, but also think about strengthening that MCAT and plan on retaking.

In a MAJOR pickle, I got a 28 (8/10/10) PS apparently killed me.. I didn't study a lot, hadn't taken the second half of ochem, kind of rushed it to avoid the new MCAT. I don't know if I should apply with that, or retake. It is literally the one score i didn't want to get because I knew how hard it would be to decide about.. My cgpa is 3.76 and sgpa 3.8, I have good ECs, (school gov, red cross board of directors, leadership position in school volunteer program, school cadaver lab coordinator, run a program to teach youth anatomy, those are a few..) Good shadowing hours, clinical experience, I am a Utah resident. WHAT DO I DO, any suggestions from anyone in similar situations or know someone from a similar situation? PLEASE HELP!

I was in an extremely similar situation. My cgpa was slightly higher (3.78) but my scpa was slightly lower (3.73 I think), and I also had a 28 with an 8 in PS. I did not get in anywhere my first cycle, but that was partly due to application decisions of mine. I applied early in the cycle to many MD schools but only to one DO school, and didn't even apply there until like January of that cycle. I was certain I would get into my state MD school, which is like Utah in terms of very strong in-state preference and similar average matriculant stats. If you don't care if you go MD or DO, then you will definitely get in somewhere. If you're aiming for MD, you very well could get into your state MD, but you very well might not, and OOS schools are probably doubtful because your stats don't stand out like most MDs look for in an OOS app (I got 2 OOS MD II's with my stats but rejected after interview from both). About this point in my first cycle, I started worrying I wouldn't get in anywhere and began to study hard to retake the MCAT in May for that next cycle. I got it up to a 32 and got into my top choice, my state MD, from the waitlist in like May of my second cycle. I had applied more broadly that second cycle and almost immediately got into 2 DO schools, with like another 10 DO II's I cancelled. So if you don't mind DO, you will absolutely get in to almost any DO school, but MD is a toss up. You might get in with your current stats, but you very well might not. If I were you, and if you are pretty sure you can improve your score, I would start studying for it again, take it in May, and apply with an improved score.

Also, good luck with the PS though if you do retake lol I studied that 2x harder than anything else prior to my retake, and still got an 8 on it even though my total went from 28 to 32.

Thanks for the responses everyone! My only issue is I haven't taken biochem or sociology, so I'll have to take those in the spring semester which ends June 20, meaning I can't take the MCAT till July 17. If I were to apply in the middle of June without an MCAT score and then took it on the 17th and sent it in later, would that cause an issue? I feel like that is my best bet at this point because I definetely want to apply this cycle and I strongly prefer MD. I feel so screwed over about the timing of this new MCAT, I feel like I could have done much better if I could have taken it in the spring after all my pre-reqs and a little more time to study, anyways, can't much I can do, thanks for the help.

unless you have some motivating factor behind you (URM, IS school, etc) I would probably retake as much as that sucks... Unless you have a bunch of money laying around, then you could try applying.

As others have said, your GPA is good. The question is whether you want to work your ass off for 3-4 months to study for the new test or have a much harder time in your cycle.

I had a 3.55 gpa and got a 30 on my first try. I retook and got a 34 and I think that's why I've had the little success that I did with interviews. My GPA definitely held me back and I think I would have done far better had I taken a few classes after undergrad, but I really didn't want to.

GPA is far harder to fix than an MCAT in terms of time required.

Last edited:
I think you should retake. applicants are getting more and more competitive, evidenced by every schools increase in mean/median gpa and mcat. you want to give yourself the best possible chance and apply the right way your first time

Are you a URM? And\or are you okay with DO programs?
I am not a URM, and I'm still trying to decide if I'm ok with DO. At this point I realize I am competitive DO and have a small chance MD. Trying to tell myself that DO might be ok.

I am not a URM, and I'm still trying to decide if I'm ok with DO. At this point I realize I am competitive DO and have a small chance MD. Trying to tell myself that DO might be ok.

You say you didn't study "a lot" for the MCAT and yet you're just going to give up being a competitive applicant for MD schools? You've worked hard for 4 years to earn your GPA, study hard and get a better score on the MCAT even if you have to take the new one

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar situation to you OP, but was a resident of CA (so obviously killed all my chances there :laugh:).

The amount of love you will find in raising your MCAT (even to a 30) may be worth the extra time off and additional course load if you are 100% sure that you can do A LOT better (or at least hit around 32+ to solidify your chances). You've already done a lot of work to get to where you are now - One extra year off in the grand scheme of things is nothing if it'll help you have more opportunities and end up somewhere you'll see yourself being happy/thriving. However, if you're totally fine with ending up anywhere (MD/DO), then you could apply and see what schools will give you a shot.

I applied with my MCAT (same breakdown/score as yours) only because I received FAP and was prepared to retake/reapply for the following cycle if no school looked at me. A lot of luck later, I ended up with acceptances to the two schools that offered me interviews. If you apply broadly, you might end up in the same boat, but it's a lot of money you could potentially end up wasting, only to reapply and do exactly what you knew you had to do from the very beginning. The odds aren't in your favor, but if your mind was already set up before you stated this thread, nobody on SDN can change it, haha.

Reactions: 2 users
You say you didn't study "a lot" for the MCAT and yet you're just going to give up being a competitive applicant for MD schools? You've worked hard for 4 years to earn your GPA, study hard and get a better score on the MCAT even if you have to take the new one
I know, I agree with what you're saying but another year when I am already turning 25 and planning to have kids soon is almost a financial problem, year less work. @Jennyfishy I hope the same thing works out for me if I do decide to apply. I wish I could take the old MCAT again, I would in a heart beat. I wouldn't even be here because I wouldn't have taken it until the spring. However that is not the case, and now I can't take the new MCAT until July 17, which would put me waaaay late in this application cycle.. See how complicated this is haha

Similar situation to you OP, but was a resident of CA (so obviously killed all my chances there :laugh:).

The amount of love you will find in raising your MCAT (even to a 30) may be worth the extra time off and additional course load if you are 100% sure that you can do A LOT better (or at least hit around 32+ to solidify your chances). You've already done a lot of work to get to where you are now - One extra year off in the grand scheme of things is nothing if it'll help you have more opportunities and end up somewhere you'll see yourself being happy/thriving. However, if you're totally fine with ending up anywhere (MD/DO), then you could apply and see what schools will give you a shot.

I applied with my MCAT (same breakdown/score as yours) only because I received FAP and was prepared to retake/reapply for the following cycle if no school looked at me. A lot of luck later, I ended up with acceptances to the two schools that offered me interviews. If you apply broadly, you might end up in the same boat, but it's a lot of money you could potentially end up wasting, only to reapply and do exactly what you knew you had to do from the very beginning. The odds aren't in your favor, but if your mind was already set up before you stated this thread, nobody on SDN can change it, haha.
If you don't mind me asking, was it MD schools that you got acceptances from?

If you don't mind me asking, was it MD schools that you got acceptances from?
Yep - didn't apply DO. It's more of a do as I say and not as I did thing - sdn often gives a false perception that because n=1 did it, we can too though, lol. I mean if money isn't an issue, it's not going to stop most people anyway :laugh:

Many of my classmates are 25+, but if you're really against retaking, Then you will have to be smart and apply very broadly (don't be in denial and think schools like CA and ivys will bat a lash), and throw in DOs into that list. Otherwise you'll be short several thousand dollars and be a reapplicant anyway ;)

Then my recommendation is to retake it. Raising that score will open many doors for you. What state are you in as well?

I know, I agree with what you're saying but another year when I am already turning 25 and planning to have kids soon is almost a financial problem, year less work. @Jennyfishy I hope the same thing works out for me if I do decide to apply. I wish I could take the old MCAT again, I would in a heart beat. I wouldn't even be here because I wouldn't have taken it until the spring. However that is not the case, and now I can't take the new MCAT until July 17, which would put me waaaay late in this application cycle.. See how complicated this is haha
Just take the MCAT before you've finished biochem if that's the issue. You'll only be a month or so away from finishing the class if you take the test in May. (You mentioned before that your class ended June 20) You can self study the last few chapters.

First off, make better choices next time you take a career-deciding, high stakes exam.

I suggest the following schools:

U UT
TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Wake Forest
Rush
Any DO school. Start with next door TUNCOM, SOMA, and RVU

I'm actually from Canada, I am a permanent resident of the US. @Goro thank you for the list, I appreciate it. I did the best I could with the limited time and resources I had. My plan was always to take the MCAT in spring 2015, that kind of changed when AAMC decided to screw my class over, no need to judge me.

Do you mind me asking what schools you got accepted to?

I had a very similar situation. I had a 27 MCAT (8/9/10) and I have a 3.76 GPA.

I thought about retaking the MCAT but I applied anyhow for the 2015 cycle. I had 4 interviews, I currently have 3 acceptances, and 1 waitlist at my top choice (All MD). I had pretty good EC's and shadowing, but I had low volunteer hours.

I'd go for it and apply broadly. I applied to 20+ schools and filled out 20 secondaries. Apply smartly and I think you definitely have a chance.

To OP:

PS is probably one of the "easier" sections to improve in a limited amount of time as opposed to verbal. I was basically in your shoes last spring with an even lower PS. I decided to retake and managed to raise PS 5+ points with ~month and a half of studying 4-5 hours a day. I used princeton review materials the first time around which I feel was a mistake (very superficial content-wise). On my second round studying I used Berkeley Review exclusively with great results. Also if you do choose to restudy and retake, make sure you don't neglect the other sections!! (feel free to PM me if you want more specifics)

First off, make better choices next time you take a career-deciding, high stakes exam.

I suggest the following schools:

U UT
TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Wake Forest
Rush
Any DO school. Start with next door TUNCOM, SOMA, and RVU

I've been doing some research and am curious to why you think WVU would be a good match?

A 28,a lthough < avg., is in striking distance for U WV, and is within their 10th-90th % tile. They take a decent number of OOSers (~33%), and although I suspect they're from neighboring states, some people who don't live nearby have gotten in. But applicants should have evidence of an interest in rural medicine.

I've been doing some research and am curious to why you think WVU would be a good match?

I was in an extremely similar situation. My cgpa was slightly higher (3.78) but my scpa was slightly lower (3.73 I think), and I also had a 28 with an 8 in PS. I did not get in anywhere my first cycle, but that was partly due to application decisions of mine. I applied early in the cycle to many MD schools but only to one DO school, and didn't even apply there until like January of that cycle. I was certain I would get into my state MD school, which is like Utah in terms of very strong in-state preference and similar average matriculant stats. If you don't care if you go MD or DO, then you will definitely get in somewhere. If you're aiming for MD, you very well could get into your state MD, but you very well might not, and OOS schools are probably doubtful because your stats don't stand out like most MDs look for in an OOS app (I got 2 OOS MD II's with my stats but rejected after interview from both). About this point in my first cycle, I started worrying I wouldn't get in anywhere and began to study hard to retake the MCAT in May for that next cycle. I got it up to a 32 and got into my top choice, my state MD, from the waitlist in like May of my second cycle. I had applied more broadly that second cycle and almost immediately got into 2 DO schools, with like another 10 DO II's I cancelled. So if you don't mind DO, you will absolutely get in to almost any DO school, but MD is a toss up. You might get in with your current stats, but you very well might not. If I were you, and if you are pretty sure you can improve your score, I would start studying for it again, take it in May, and apply with an improved score.

do you mind sharing which MD schools you interviewed at? I can also PM if thats better