need help applying to UCSD post-bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessbky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone. this is my first time making a thread on SDN. i am applying to UC post-bacc's for the first time as well.
For the UC San Diego Post-bac, I have a few questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hello everyone. this is my first time making a thread on SDN. i am applying to UC post-bacc's for the first time as well.
Hopefully, people who have applied before can help me out. I would appreciate it a lot.

My questions are:

1. For the letter writer information, in the Institution section, should I put the name of the location where the writers work at?

2. For the question #1-2 under the Experiences section, where it says to list my experiences….Do I simply list the position, location, and dates and/or should I provide a brief description of each experience along with the former details?

3. For question #3 under the Experiences section, it asks if education has not been continuous and how time has been spent.what is this referring to?
  4. the deadline to submit the app is Jan.22nd at midnight. I just made the decision to apply to post-bacc's and I'm worried my application might be in the "late"pile. will submitting my app couple of days before the deadline affect my chances?
Thank you and i appreciate your time!
Hi jessbky,

I am a graduate of the post bac program so I hope that it's not too late for me to answer your questions!

1. For the letter location, I would just give a general address to maybe the department that the person works in. Say it was a biology teacher, just give the address of the biology department.

2. You really don't have to provide too much information for the Experiences section. They just want to see that you have been involved, what you have been involved in and to what degree, and for how long. You will have an opportunity to elaborate more during the interview!

3. This questions is more asking for an explanation of any time that you might have taken off. So say that you took a year off to help out a family member or you just decided you needed a break from school. They just want to fill in any gaps in your education to see what you were doing during that time. In addition, I would also include an explanation of what you have been doing if you have already graduated from your undergraduate program.

4. Submitting your application by the deadline will put you in the same pile as all the other applicants! It is not like medical school admissions where applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. They collect all the applications, then review them and offer interviews. I was in the same boat you are...I am from Michigan and didn't really consider California post bac programs until January. As soon as I found the program, I had something like 15 days to get it all put together, and I got in! I don't think you should worry about submitting it by the deadline.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I would be happy to answer them all!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi jessbky,

I am a graduate of the post bac program so I hope that it's not too late for me to answer your questions!

1. For the letter location, I would just give a general address to maybe the department that the person works in. Say it was a biology teacher, just give the address of the biology department.

2. You really don't have to provide too much information for the Experiences section. They just want to see that you have been involved, what you have been involved in and to what degree, and for how long. You will have an opportunity to elaborate more during the interview!

3. This questions is more asking for an explanation of any time that you might have taken off. So say that you took a year off to help out a family member or you just decided you needed a break from school. They just want to fill in any gaps in your education to see what you were doing during that time. In addition, I would also include an explanation of what you have been doing if you have already graduated from your undergraduate program.

4. Submitting your application by the deadline will put you in the same pile as all the other applicants! It is not like medical school admissions where applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. They collect all the applications, then review them and offer interviews. I was in the same boat you are...I am from Michigan and didn't really consider California post bac programs until January. As soon as I found the program, I had something like 15 days to get it all put together, and I got in! I don't think you should worry about submitting it by the deadline.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I would be happy to answer them all!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your responses. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi jessbky,

hmm for some reason i thought all the cali postbacs were for california residents only

Hopefully, people who have applied before can help me out. I would appreciate it a lot.

My questions are:

1. For the letter writer information, in the Institution section,
  2. For question #3 under the Experiences section, it asks if education has not been continuous and how time has been spent.what is this referring to?
  3. the deadline to submit the app is Jan.22nd at midnight. I just made the decision to apply to post-bacc's and I'm worried my application might be in the "late"pile. will submitting my app couple of days before the deadline affect my chances?
Thank you and i appreciate your time!

the price tag on this program is high considering you have to take out private loans. i dont like that, guess ill pass on applying

hmm for some reason i thought all the cali postbacs were for california residents only
I'm not sure about the other California post bac programs but the UCSD post bac program definitely takes students from anywhere! My class had students from New York, Georgia, Michigan, and Maryland to name a few.

the price tag on this program is high considering you have to take out private loans. i dont like that, guess ill pass on applying
The program tuition is definitely something to consider when deciding if you want to apply. I do want to let you know that as the program continues to grow, they have been able to offer more scholarships and grants for students to help supplement the cost. If you are really interested in the program, that might be something to consider when applying.

Reactions: 1 users
No problem! Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!
Thanks Samantha! Any tips on hoe to best prepare for an interview for the UCSD post bacc? I'd appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Samantha! Any tips on hoe to best prepare for an interview for the UCSD post bacc? I'd appreciate the advice. Thank you!

Did they contact you about admissions decisions, I know they were supposed to send out invites out today and am waiting to hear back. Thanks!

Did they contact you about admissions decisions, I know they were supposed to send out invites out today and am waiting to hear back. Thanks!
No, not yet. They said they would send out notifications within 2 weeks though :)