Need help badly with narrowing school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Padfoot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went through the MSAR and looked online to see which schools seem to have OOS'ers applying, but I'm getting a lot of mixed messages about the public schools. For example, the MSAR does not say which schools accept only regional OOS'ers. I also can't seem to find much info on the Florida schools. I put a question mark next to the schools that I'm particularly confused about (like if I have a chance there or not).

My stats are 4.0/33, with everything else being average or below average. I'm getting financial aid, so I don't mind 30+ schools, but obviously right now it's too much. I don't have connections to other states other than an uncle who lives in Austin, TX. I guess I'm paranoid because I'm applying rather late, plus I knew a girl with my stats who got rejected everywhere except one recently accredited school (and her EC's were better than mine).

Any information or anecdotal evidence would be appreciated!

UConn
University Colorado Denver School of Medicine
University of Arizona
SUNY Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY downstate
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
University of Central Florida School of Medicine
Florida International University College of Medicine
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
Emory University
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Northwestern University
Mayo Medical School
Hofstra
Rush Medical college
University of Chicago?
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
Tulane
BU
Tufts
University of Michigan?
Saint Louis University
WashU?
Creighton University
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Stony Brook
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Case Western Reserve?
Duke
The Ohio State University?
University of Cincinnati
Oregon Health & Science
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College
Penn State University
Temple
University of Pittsburgh?
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Paul L Foster?
University of Vermont
Eastern Virginia?
University of Virginia
VCU
Medical College of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
50+ schools? You honestly can't narrow that down to at least 30 on your own?

Reactions: 1 users
You can start by taking off the SUNYs, they are public schools who prefer IS applications. Stonybrook is also public that accepts 20% OOS, so you can take that out too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can start by taking off the SUNYs, they are public schools who prefer IS applications. Stonybrook is also public that accepts 20% OOS, so you can take that out too.
20% is pretty good isn't it?

Sure man, we'd love to do your gruntwork for you. This isn't a perfect science and relies a lot on 'fit'. You even have the MSAR so it shouldn't be too hard. You have excellent numbers so you'll have a solid shot at acceptance unless there's some black eye on your application. Only apply to places where you will actually be happy attending and that will enable you to write secondary essays that are compelling, and use that handy MSAR to pinpoint schools that you'll have an even better chance with. Are you really willing to write secondaries for all of those schools?

I'm not asking for someone to do all the work, just to see if anyone happens to have information that isn't on MSAR. Since my EC's are average, some secondaries may be hard for me to do well on, so I want to maximize my chances.

Tulane is heavy on volunteering and leadership positions so if you are lacking there then I would cross that one off

Places like Vanderbilt and Michigan with very high mcat medians are probably a good place to start chopping.

To make life easier on you, eliminate every OOS public school on your list except U VM and VCU. Then delete Northwestern, Mayo, U Chicago, Mt Sinai, Baylor, Vandy and Pitt. Add Oakland-B and Western MI.

UConn
University Colorado Denver School of Medicine
University of Arizona
SUNY Syracuse
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY downstate
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Georgetown
University of Central Florida School of Medicine
Florida International University College of Medicine
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
University of South Florida College of Medicine
Emory University
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Northwestern University
Mayo Medical School
Hofstra
Rush Medical college
University of Chicago?
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
Tulane
BU
Tufts
University of Michigan?
Saint Louis University
WashU?
Creighton University
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
NYU
Stony Brook
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Case Western Reserve?
Duke
The Ohio State University?
University of Cincinnati
Oregon Health & Science
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College
Penn State University
Temple
University of Pittsburgh?
Vanderbilt
Baylor
Paul L Foster?
University of Vermont
Eastern Virginia?
University of Virginia
VCU
Medical College of Wisconsin[/QUOTE]

Tulane is heavy on volunteering and leadership positions so if you are lacking there then I would cross that one off
Hmm I have some generic hospital and nursing home volunteering but no leadership