Need help choosing a major at UC Davis!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiktaalik34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just transferred from a California CC to UC Davis as a Biochemistry and Molecular biology major. Will be starting my first quarter this fall.

I know that the best major is the major that I like, but I would like more insight into the bio majors at Davis. I really like chem and bio but I also like bio at the molecular level. I took genetics (bis101) for summer session 1 and loved the material and did very well.

As of right now I'm considering biochem, cell bio, genetics, or NPB. I've also thought about biological sciences but am dissuaded from that path since it seems like it has not job market.

I am taking my first biochem class this fall (bis102), so I'm hoping that will give me an idea of how I feel about majoring in biochem.

Not sure which to choose or which will give me a better job outlook in the event that I decide to go against medicine. Which major will better prepare me for
Med school? Would appreciate any insight in these classes regarding difficulty, helpfulness etc. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't major in something for the purpose of it to look good for med school, or to be helpful in med school. Major in something you're passionate about and something that leaves you some type of plan B if med school doesn't work out. Med schools don't care about what science major you have, and no matter what classes you take, they aren't going to give you a giant advantage in med school, and even if they do it isn't going to last very long.

Reactions: 2 users
Major in Computer Science or Engineering if you want a good backup plan to medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take whichever one you like the most and can get high grades in. Only major in Engineering/Comp Sci if you're confident you can get high grades. Some schools are more forgiving with curves.

The good thing about biochem, cell bio, genetics, and NPB is that they have overlapping course reqs that you need anyway (BIS 101 - genetics, 102/103 - biochem/metabolism, BIS 104 - cell bio, NPB 101 - intro to exercise physio). BioSci and NPB are probably the most popular science majors at UCD (and probably have the worst job opportunities if you end up deciding against Grad school/Med school later). If you major in bio, you will complete half of your major requirements just by taking the classes you need to qualify for med school though, lol

You just transferred - you don't have to decide right away, and you can just take these classes to see what you find yourself gravitating towards the most :)