Need help choosing between ATSU SOMA and Touro Nevada (2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangetabbycat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been accepted to both institutions and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight in making the decision of which school to attend. I loved both my interview experiences and liked the schools in general. I like how Touro NV is near Vegas, has research opportunities, and the proximity of all the rotations. For ATSU SOMA, I like the 1+3 clinical education and clinical presentation model. The only thing I don't like is how much driving I would have to do for second year and beyond since I will be rotating at different clinics in AZ.

I am planning to become a cardiologist and was wondering if you guys could point out some things I may have missed.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I had the exact same post earlier this year. I ultimately went with ATSU SOMA, and it was a tough decision. Since I am not a current student, I am not going to recommend any school above the other. I personally feel you probably already know where you want to attend, and are just looking for some validation, which I know I wanted as well when I was deciding.

Both schools are great in their own regard. The schools are very different in their approach to pre-clinical education. Touro NV being more traditional, and ATSU SOMA being systems based. Touro NV has excellent board scores, and great facilities when you actually get inside. ATSU has good facilities as well, but you are only there for one year. I personally really like the fact of getting a head start on being out in clinics and seeing patients. I have heard nothing but great reviews from current students including some second years that I met (Brooklyn CHC so they might be biased). Then again I also heard only positive reviews from Touro NV students. I like the idea of going to a CHC, and that there are only ~10 students/site.

I think you should go with the place that will make you a happier person. Whether that is due to the style of teaching at the school, being close to friends/family, not driving much for rotations, etc...

Reactions: 1 user
I would take Touro. They are much more established with residencies linked to them. You don't need to move to an entirely new area in a year or be stuck at community clinics.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the exact same post earlier this year. I ultimately went with ATSU SOMA, and it was a tough decision. Since I am not a current student, I am not going to recommend any school above the other. I personally feel you probably already know where you want to attend, and are just looking for some validation, which I know I wanted as well when I was deciding.

Both schools are great in their own regard. The schools are very different in their approach to pre-clinical education. Touro NV being more traditional, and ATSU SOMA being systems based. Touro NV has excellent board scores, and great facilities when you actually get inside. ATSU has good facilities as well, but you are only there for one year. I personally really like the fact of getting a head start on being out in clinics and seeing patients. I have heard nothing but great reviews from current students including some second years that I met (Brooklyn CHC so they might be biased). Then again I also heard only positive reviews from Touro NV students. I like the idea of going to a CHC, and that there are only ~10 students/site.

I think you should go with the place that will make you a happier person. Whether that is due to the style of teaching at the school, being close to friends/family, not driving much for rotations, etc...

Thanks so much for your input. Yes, I have to admit that I am looking for some sort of validation because I am unsure of what I really want. I am inclined to Touro NV because I also know some people who will be going there and Vegas is like my second home. What is keeping me back is if I should go to a school in which I think I will be happy in or one in which I think will give me the education that will help me develop professionally. I like a systems based approach and working with patients sooner is something that also appeals to me. Are you going to the Brooklyn CHC by any chance? I am currently assigned to the Mesa CHC (my second top choice). This is just also so confusing for me :/

I would take Touro. They are much more established with residencies linked to them. You don't need to move to an entirely new area in a year or be stuck at community clinics.

Are you going to Touro or are a current student there?