Need help choosing my schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtremblay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm in the process of choosing my schools right now and I need some help getting a good list going. I'm a VA resident (originally French Canadian, here as a permanent resident). My cGPA is a 3.97 and my sGPA is a 3.99. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but I've been averaging anywhere between 32 to 38 on my practices, expecting at least a 32 but hoping for a 34-35. I have 2 years of research with one poster presentation and one abstract publication. I'm a 4 year college-football athlete at a D3 school. I have 70+ hours of shadowing, 150+ hours of non-clinical volunteering, and I recently started working as a scribe in the ER. I'd also like to point out I'm starting to lean towards pediatrics more because of my volunteer work which was mostly with children.

Here is my list of schools, which includes all VA schools:

University of Virginia
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech
Hopkins (huge reach)
UNC (also reach)
Baylor (again, reach)
Boston University (dream school)
Maryland
Wake Forest
Temple
Vermont
New York University
University Florida
Tufts
University of South Carolina
West Virginia
Drexel
McGill (since I'm a Quebec Native)
Creighton

Do you guys think I have too many reach school and not enough safe schools? What schools would you cut out/keep. I want to stay more on the east coast if possible and the farther up north the better (but now I'm just being picky!)

Also keep in consideration I'm not taking my mcats until July 14th! I have already been accepted to VCOM (DO school) as part of an early admission process so I always have that as a backup plan.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm in the process of choosing my schools right now and I need some help getting a good list going. I'm a VA resident (originally French Canadian, here as a permanent resident). My cGPA is a 3.97 and my sGPA is a 3.99. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but I've been averaging anywhere between 32 to 38 on my practices, expecting at least a 32 but hoping for a 34-35. I have 2 years of research with one poster presentation and one abstract publication. I'm a 4 year college-football athlete at a D3 school. I have 70+ hours of shadowing, 150+ hours of non-clinical volunteering, and I recently started working as a scribe in the ER. I'd also like to point out I'm starting to lean towards pediatrics more because of my volunteer work which was mostly with children.

Here is my list of schools, which includes all VA schools:

University of Virginia
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Tech
Hopkins (huge reach)
UNC (also reach)
Baylor (again, reach)
Boston University (dream school)
Maryland
Wake Forest
Temple
Vermont
New York University
University Florida
Tufts
University of South Carolina
West Virginia
Drexel
McGill (since I'm a Quebec Native)
Creighton

Do you guys think I have too many reach school and not enough safe schools? What schools would you cut out/keep. I want to stay more on the east coast if possible and the farther up north the better (but now I'm just being picky!)

Also keep in consideration I'm not taking my mcats until July 14th! I have already been accepted to VCOM (DO school) as part of an early admission process so I always have that as a backup plan.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing what you guys think!
Check UFlorida's OOS matriculation figures and decide if it's worth including. USCarolina will expect you to describe your strong state ties on the Secondary. And take a look at more NY state and private schools, which tend to be fairly friendly to OOSers, if you want to be closer to the NE. You might consider UConn as well.

Thanks I really appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at UConn I didn't even think of it!