Need Help!!!!!!!! Deciding b/t Georgetown and Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaaMD

Caffeine Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have just recently been accepted to Georgetown and Hawaii, and having a hard time deciding. Info about Georgetown is its prestige, catholic institution (I'm Catholic), lecture based, proximity to NIH, politically charged city, Yates Gym, high cost of living, Complimentary and Alternative medicine, relatively large class size, matches well, good board scores, common complaints include the rigor of the curriculum, lack of diversity in the student body (true?), and most of all the facilities. Hawaii has just built a new medical school, has an asian-pacific focus (I'm filipino), many affiliated hospitals, small class body, PBL curriculum, the area is fantastic, and I feel it is a real up and coming school because of its new dean pushing for not just a new med school building but also pushing hard for research. Any advice? I'm a California Resident just thought I'd mention that. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Hawaii, I really liked that new building when I interviewed there but decided to withdraw when I got my top choice. I agree, Hawaii is on its way up. Research has the potential to come pouring in there because of the ocean nearby, tropical climate, and suitability for research into rare island common, tropical diseases.

I'm Cali too so it would be hard not to surf every morning and instead live in a town full of political BS, plastic people, and its on the east coast man, thats a no brainer.

Besides, shouldn't you have decided by now? Its way after May 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
One big factor for me was that I am not sure how well I'd do with PBL. Needless to say, my friend goes to UHawaii and really loves it (PBL) as well as everything else about the school. The new facilites are definitely gorgeous too. It's hard to compare reputation when talking about Hawaii because I don't think many people have a feel for Hawaii's rep. I know that I don't. I've heard both good things and bad about Hawaii, most of which has already been talked about. So which did you decide??!

it's freaking Hawaii. Go there. You can do policy/gov't stuff anywhere, you can follow your religion anywhere, and, once again, it's Hawaii. Did you like it when you went for your interview?

Think about all of the times that you will be stressing out over school work like crazy. Then think about when you are stressing out like crazy, sitting on some of the greatest beaches in the world. I personally would pick Hawaii.

The only negative thing I've heard is that the rotations kind of suck there. I don't remember which machine it was, but I think there are no hospitals in Hawaii that have MRI machines. If not MRI, definitely CT or something. That's not to say that you may not be able to do your rotations in cali.

No one can tell you. Just think back to both of the interviews. Where did you feel like you were more at home? That should ultimately be your choice.

Dude .. there are some serious down sides to hawaii: all the golf courses, beaches, women in tiny outfits, the best seafood in the world, fresh sushi, culturally diverse neighbors and warm weather every day all of which will distract you from studying.

Living in Georgetown paying $1000 a month to live in a ****ty closet in the dead of winter will leave you wanting to do nothing but study all day long.

i'm very curious to hear what you decided :D

heres my 2 cents, rising ms2 gtown

the REAL serious downside to hawaii is that im sure it gets old

At first, yeah it would be fun in the sun and vacation-like, but after months/years living there, Im sure it would hit you that you miss CVS, normal supermarkets, normal american culture, etc...

I kind of see hawaii as being a cool idea, but in reality something you do not want to get into for 4 YEARS. its a nice place to visit, but I would not want to live there. Isolation from everyone else, a different culture, less chances for interaction with normal people from your culture, increased travel times and expenses, unsure reputation of the school.

Im not trying to be a downer here but im sure that the REALITY of hawaii is different from the vacation/perception hawaii.

Gtown I do not have too many complaints. Facilities are fine unless you are a snooty baby. Very traditional curriculum, kids are pretty standard preppy white kids, of course with some diversity as with anywhere else. Plus you are in a city so you can do your own thing entirely separate from the school/classmates. Whereas in a place like hawaii I feel like youd be bound to your class for social activities. PLus Gtowns match is ridiculous and only gettting better. So good luck to you, hope you consider what I have said in any event.

go with hawaii:)

Last edited:
go with hawaii:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
smarmy - did u live in hawaii through high school? through college?

nah, i'm actually from so-co:)

Last edited:
DrBuro said:
I don't remember which machine it was, but I think there are no hospitals in Hawaii that have MRI machines. If not MRI, definitely CT or something.

Queen's, St. Francis, and Straub all have MRI scanners ... Perhaps your info is old?

Living in Hawaii if you don't have any connections to the place is tough. Hawaii can be a very insular culture and as one of the other posters mentioned, it's very family oriented.

Hawaii has a tendency to see things as "local" and "visitor" and although you'd be in a gray area in between, you wouldn't get far past "visitor". It's not a matter of personality or intentions, it just is what it is.

I loved Hawaii and lived there for four years before returning to California. My girlfriend did her Master's there while I worked. You will probably find yourself hanging out a lot with the other mainlanders, as lots of the UH students come to the school with their social networks pretty well established.

Hawaiian customs and culture is fantastic and the people can be very nice, but it takes a while to really get accepted as a part of the community.

Also, UH almost lost their accredidation a few years ago and barely got it back. I've heard it's a good school, but keep in mind it's very much focused on training doctors for practice in Hawaii. This is why the interview process is so grueling.

If you're interested in just looking for a place to attend med school for four years then moving back to California or somewhere else, you'd probably be better off with Georgetown. You can always come practice in Hawaii after you're a doctor (and be able to afford Hawaiian prices). But if you're interested in moving to Hawaii for the sake of practicing medicine in the Pacific, go for it.

Thanks for the word of advice. I ended up choosing Hawaii, for a number of reasons. I also thought I'd be a better fit there. I got a chance to talk to my interviewer who just graduated from hawaii, and he helped to calm a lot of my concerns. Pm me if you have any questions about hawaii from an applicant perspective, I'll know more about the school as this year progresses. Good luck everyone.

wow that's great! the view from Kaka'ako is splendid. Best wishes.

Hey RaaMD, good luck at Hawaii bro!

RaaMD said:
Thanks for the word of advice. I ended up choosing Hawaii, for a number of reasons. I also thought I'd be a better fit there. I got a chance to talk to my interviewer who just graduated from hawaii, and he helped to calm a lot of my concerns. Pm me if you have any questions about hawaii from an applicant perspective, I'll know more about the school as this year progresses. Good luck everyone.

I think you made a good decision, best wishes!

RaaMD

Dude, good choice!

best of luck,

I know you already picked, but...

Just thought you'd like to know if you thought the cost of living is high for DC, brace yourself for Hawaii.

I've also heard that Hawaii is very "to theirselves" so you may have some social problems. But that's hearsay.

Mastashake

good luck and congrats, have fun in the sun

RaaMD said:
Hello everyone, I have just recently been accepted to Georgetown and Hawaii, and having a hard time deciding. Info about Georgetown is its prestige, catholic institution (I'm Catholic), lecture based, proximity to NIH, politically charged city, Yates Gym, high cost of living, Complimentary and Alternative medicine, relatively large class size, matches well, good board scores, common complaints include the rigor of the curriculum, lack of diversity in the student body (true?), and most of all the facilities. Hawaii has just built a new medical school, has an asian-pacific focus (I'm filipino), many affiliated hospitals, small class body, PBL curriculum, the area is fantastic, and I feel it is a real up and coming school because of its new dean pushing for not just a new med school building but also pushing hard for research. Any advice? I'm a California Resident just thought I'd mention that. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

If I were you, I would have gone to check out both areas and get more information as for your personal feeling. Yes, I know that in Med school, most of the time you'll be dealing with your classes, etc. but I also think that you need to feel comfortable with the atmosphere.... I don't have an idea about Hawaii - but I'm familiar with Georgetown. I think the uni. is in an amazing neighborhood.... I really like it ( I live not far from there)... so.. .got ahead and visit... and make the desicion. Personally, I would prefer Georgetown.

I had an opportunity to visit both places during my interview. Done.

Gingi said:
If I were you, I would have gone to check out both areas and get more information as for your personal feeling. Yes, I know that in Med school, most of the time you'll be dealing with your classes, etc. but I also think that you need to feel comfortable with the atmosphere.... I don't have an idea about Hawaii - but I'm familiar with Georgetown. I think the uni. is in an amazing neighborhood.... I really like it ( I live not far from there)... so.. .got ahead and visit... and make the desicion. Personally, I would prefer Georgetown.

Shoot, found this thread too late. (I could have answered some of your questions!) Congrats on picking Hawaii, though!

Hoya11 said:
heres my 2 cents, rising ms2 gtown

the REAL serious downside to hawaii is that im sure it gets old

At first, yeah it would be fun in the sun and vacation-like, but after months/years living there, Im sure it would hit you that you miss CVS, normal supermarkets, normal american culture, etc...

I kind of see hawaii as being a cool idea, but in reality something you do not want to get into for 4 YEARS. its a nice place to visit, but I would not want to live there. Isolation from everyone else, a different culture, less chances for interaction with normal people from your culture, increased travel times and expenses, unsure reputation of the school.

Im not trying to be a downer here but im sure that the REALITY of hawaii is different from the vacation/perception hawaii.

Gtown I do not have too many complaints. Facilities are fine unless you are a snooty baby. Very traditional curriculum, kids are pretty standard preppy white kids, of course with some diversity as with anywhere else. Plus you are in a city so you can do your own thing entirely separate from the school/classmates. Whereas in a place like hawaii I feel like youd be bound to your class for social activities. PLus Gtowns match is ridiculous and only gettting better. So good luck to you, hope you consider what I have said in any event.

Hey Hoya11!! Do you by any chance go to Gtown undergrad and/or med school? I'm an undergrad and JUST found out I got in early...so i'll be a part of the Class of 2011. I'm really excited!! even though some people think I should apply to other schools (b/c gtown costs so much!)...I think it'll be worth it!! How do you like it there?