Need Help deciding on SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmpate03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have applied to a few SMP's and am having a hard time deciding on which SMP program would be the most beneficial. I have read many of posts on SDN and the program websites, but I still can't decide. I made the decision to go to an SMP because I have a GPA that is below the average for most dental schools.

Currently, I have been accepted to:
1) Midwestern University MBS
2) USF MS-Medical Sciende
3) Mississippi College-M.S MS
4) Barry University

and I am waiting to heae back from UMDNJ (Newark)

My first choice is UMDNJ, but if (heaven forbid) I dont get in to UMDNJ, I am having a hard time figureing out where to go from above. Also, if you were to narrow down the choices to two schools which would they be and why? Has anyone attended these and could tell me a few pros/cons about them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get in to UMDNJ, the application process is more a formality than a deterrent.

Its been over a month since my application has been "complete" but haven't heard anything. I have read that other people have though

Members don't see this ad :)
You should ask for an update. I'm sure they are just swamped. In the threads I've been to, it appears everyone is running late this year with everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't waste your time with Barry, MC and USF are way way better choices. Personally, I am attending MC and could not be any happier with my decision! It has been incredibly rigorous, trying, and rewarding. I am 100% sure that I will excel in medical school thanks to this program. I have several friends who attended USF and loved the program, several of them ended up staying there for Medical School. What I can say in comparison to USF and MC is that those that I know over at the USF medical school were impressed with our classes over here at MC and our opportunity to take the NMBE exams. MC is quickly building quite a reputation for creating exceptional medical and dental school students and many programs are directing applicants to complete the program at MC prior to applying. Lots os students in this program are working towards Dental school, by the way.

MC pros:
Shelf exams (even if you want to go to Dental school this is something that is great to have experienced and great to talk about during your interview)
amazing gross lab
the professors (many of which also teach at UMMC)
you will learn more than you thought was possible
the nicest people
students in the program are form all over the country, very diverse
all apartment complexes are close to campus (but thats mainly because clinton is so small)

cons:
living in Clinton you feel like you are in a bubble- this is technically a "pro" because you really have no distractions
unless you get a roommate apartments in the area can be pricey, or just really dated/run-down

You have no idea how much this has helped. I almost crossed Mc off my list. Have you heard anything about midwestern?

Don't waste your time with Barry, MC and USF are way way better choices. Personally, I am attending MC and could not be any happier with my decision! It has been incredibly rigorous, trying, and rewarding. I am 100% sure that I will excel in medical school thanks to this program. I have several friends who attended USF and loved the program, several of them ended up staying there for Medical School. What I can say in comparison to USF and MC is that those that I know over at the USF medical school were impressed with our classes over here at MC and our opportunity to take the NMBE exams. MC is quickly building quite a reputation for creating exceptional medical and dental school students and many programs are directing applicants to complete the program at MC prior to applying. Lots os students in this program are working towards Dental school, by the way.

MC pros:
Shelf exams (even if you want to go to Dental school this is something that is great to have experienced and great to talk about during your interview)
amazing gross lab
the professors (many of which also teach at UMMC)
you will learn more than you thought was possible
the nicest people
students in the program are form all over the country, very diverse
all apartment complexes are close to campus (but thats mainly because clinton is so small)

cons:
living in Clinton you feel like you are in a bubble- this is technically a "pro" because you really have no distractions
unless you get a roommate apartments in the area can be pricey, or just really dated/run-down

How many students are in the program?

You have no idea how much this has helped. I almost crossed Mc off my list. Have you heard anything about midwestern?

did you ever hear anything about Midwestern? I'm considering their program but my goal is MD and I'm not sure if it's a good fit. But I also haven't found any other west coast programs that seem promising... :/

did you ever hear anything about Midwestern? I'm considering their program but my goal is MD and I'm not sure if it's a good fit. But I also haven't found any other west coast programs that seem promising... :/

No I didn't. Did you get into the 2 yr or 9mo program at Midwestern? I know they give preference to their own masters kids if you end up applying there.

Hey guys

I have applied to a few SMP's

Currently, I have been accepted to:
1) Midwestern University MBS
2) USF MS-Medical Sciende
3) Mississippi College-M.S MS
4) Barry University

and I am waiting to heae back from UMDNJ (Newark)
!

Have you not done any research on these? NONE of the above mentioned are SMPs. MC comes sorta close, but it really isn't. An SMP is special because it gives you actual med school courses and there is a Demonstrated linkage to the home med school and/or increases your chances at other places.

Either you haven't done your research well or there is a lot of misinformation and misrepresentation going on.

Chill, it's a year old post.

Also, umdnj (now rutgers) is an SMP.
Have you not done any research on these? NONE of the above mentioned are SMPs. MC comes sorta close, but it really isn't. An SMP is special because it gives you actual med school courses and there is a Demonstrated linkage to the home med school and/or increases your chances at other places.

Either you haven't done your research well or there is a lot of misinformation and misrepresentation going on.

Actually I did a lot of research and even talked to the people at each individual program. So. yeah. Barry, and Rutgers (where I am now) both allow you to take med school course and dental in Rutgers case. MC and usf come very close. Also, all are in place to increase your chances of getting into a professional program, I make that statement because all of the administrative staff, adcom profs etc at all these programs know exactly why you're coming there.....also posted this a year ago....but thanks for your concern. :)

Actually I did a lot of research and even talked to the people at each individual program. So. yeah. Barry, and Rutgers (where I am now) both allow you to take med school course and dental in Rutgers case. MC and usf come very close. Also, all are in place to increase your chances of getting into a professional program, I make that statement because all of the administrative staff, adcom profs etc at all these programs know exactly why you're coming there.....also posted this a year ago....but thanks for your concern. :)
I'm sorry, but Barry is not an SMP. An SMP is where you take med school courses AT a med school WITH regular M1/M2s. Barry does not have a med school. All it is is a fancy overpriced post-bacc that you could do cheaper at your own state university.

Best of luck to you in Rutgers!