Need help deciding which schools to apply to!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrg276

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently graduated from Penn State University and I'm stressing out big time trying to put together my dental app. I graduated with a 3.33gpa & 3.16sgpa. I took the DAT back in December (didn't study at all -stupid I know) and got a 20 PAT, 19 QR, 19 RC, 16 B, 15 GC, 17 OC, 16 TS, and 17 AA. I'm retaking the DAT in July and hoping to get 20s or higher because I've actually been studying for it this time around. I got the committee letter and a letter from a dentist that I've been shadowing who graduated from Temple. This is my list of schools that I plan to apply to so far:

-Temple
-Pitt
-NYU
-LECOM
-BU
-Maryland
-Tufts
-Arizona
-Univ of Florida

I'm thinking of applying to at least 10 schools so that I have a better chance of getting in somewhere. Any suggestions for me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to include that I am a "white" male resident of Pennsylvania.

Hey I am like the exact same as you. I currently attend Penn State and I am going to be a senior.
I'm trying to figure out the schools I should apply to as well.

I have a 3.3 ogpa and 3.0sgpa. And I am taking the DAT august. So I need to ace it like you.

My suggestion is to call each dental school and ask the following:

Minimum gpa requirement: I believe Maryland has a 3.2 for science and overall. You need to check that out.
Out of State %
Average DAT

I would tell you which other schools to apply to as well, but I am still trying to figure that out :( so as soon as I know I will get back to you on that.

There are a lot of other threads to help you out on sdn too

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just recently graduated from Penn State University and I'm stressing out big time trying to put together my dental app. I graduated with a 3.33gpa & 3.16sgpa. I took the DAT back in December (didn't study at all -stupid I know) and got a 20 PAT, 19 QR, 19 RC, 16 B, 15 GC, 17 OC, 16 TS, and 17 AA. I'm retaking the DAT in July and hoping to get 20s or higher because I've actually been studying for it this time around. I got the committee letter and a letter from a dentist that I've been shadowing who graduated from Temple. This is my list of schools that I plan to apply to so far:

-Temple
-Pitt
-NYU
-LECOM
-BU
-Maryland
-Tufts
-Arizona
-Univ of Florida

I'm thinking of applying to at least 10 schools so that I have a better chance of getting in somewhere. Any suggestions for me would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!!

I would apply to at least 15+ schools if I were you. Add some more OOS friendly schools such as: Louisville, USC, Midwestern, Case, etc.

I would apply to at least 15+ schools if I were you. Add some more OOS friendly schools such as: Louisville, USC, Midwestern, Case, etc.

I agree. You should apply to atleast 15 schools to increase your chances, possibly some of the newer schools.