Need help figuring out why I'm not getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brimley

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.

I graduated college with a BA in psychology with a 3.9 GPA, Summa Cum Laude. I didn't study for the MCAT but managed a 28. I am a former member of Mensa and a current member of Cerebrals Society. I did shadowing and volunteering during senior year.

I applied to 5 schools in Texas and did not get into any of them. This has left me somewhat perplexed as I have talked to many people who have gotten in with lower GPAs and MCAT scores.

Anyone have any useful tips? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a low MCAT and didn't bother applying broadly. Mensa, Cerebrals, etc aren't particularly meaningful in this process. Also, what extracurriculars do you have on your app?

There's always a bit of randomness in the admissions process. You did apply to a very limited pool of schools. Don't worry though! Your stats are great. Just build up on the extracurriculars and community service. Maybe add a little research and a few points to your mcat score and you'll rock the admissions next time. I do agree that you should've gotten in to at least two schools this year, but maybe it's a sign for you to take a break before med school. Good luck. Stay optimistic too...osteopathic schools might still be accepting and their programs are wonderful also.

Members don't see this ad :)
As to the MCAT, I have met a handful of people here who have gotten into Texas med schools with 26 and 27's (and their GPAs didn't make up for those scores). Do you think I should study and retake it even though I've already been through the app process?

It seems to me that Mensa and especially Cerebrals would help because the application process is largely trying to find candidates who are intelligent enough to be doctors.

I don't have any extracurricular activities.

I am a former member of Mensa [...]
I've pinpointed your problem...

Actually, you'll have to give us more to work with than just raw stats and a couple of ECs.... Personal statement, date of app submission, interview experience, activities clearly reflect your passion for medicine ??? etc.

As to the MCAT, I have met a handful of people here who have gotten into Texas med schools with 26 and 27's (and their GPAs didn't make up for those scores). Do you think I should study and retake it even though I've already been through the app process?

It seems to me that Mensa and especially Cerebrals would help because the application process is largely trying to find candidates who are intelligent enough to be doctors.

The bolded area is where you went wrong.

The italicized region indicates your naivety, immaturity, and pompousness.

That's 2 strikes.

Decent MCAT, nothing special given the lack of ECs and the lack of a personality.

Strike 3. You're out.

The majority of applicants are intelligent... so honestly, Mensa membership will say very little if you have a low MCAT and 0 EC's. You should take some time to volunteer and gain more clinical experience; also re-taking the MCAT is a great idea.

The admissions process, from what I've gathered, is not about finding people intelligent enough to be doctors. There are an overabundance of people intelligent enough, they are a dime a dozen really.

The admissions process looks for people who are well-rounded individuals who have a passion not only for medicine but for other things as well. If your entire list of EC's revolves around how intellectual you are, you come across as a person who lacks personality and people skills.

Have you ever worked a job? Ever done clinical volunteering at a hospital? Research? Clubs on campus? Any leadership roles?

Also, I do not intend for this to come across as mean-spirited in any way, but your MCAT score does not jive with your desire to be cast as an intellectual. A 28 is nothing spectacular - it is borderline average I believe. Study for the MCAT, retake, pull off a 32 or higher. And go get some experience outside of Mensa. I can assure you that med schools don't care about Mensa.

The admissions process, from what I've gathered, is not about finding people intelligent enough to be doctors.

It isn't? I think they're looking for people who are smart enough to at least be doctors.

I can assure you that med schools don't care about Mensa.

I wouldn't say they won't care at all. It's an interesting topic to discuss at an interview; however, it won't play a major role in getting you an acceptance.

I did not intend to come across as pompous or arrogant. I was trying to list my strong points, like one would do on an application. My membership in those organizations says nothing about my personality or drive to become a doctor.

I have clinical volunteer experience in the ER of a local hospital. I have shadowed two different surgeons multiple times. The reason I don't have any ECs is because I couldn't find any that interested me and I didn't want to join them just to put them on my app. That seems sort of fake to me.

I do very much appreciate the constructive criticism that has been offered up so far. I definitely think I will study for the MCAT and take it again. Would you all recommend taking a course such as Kaplan or Princeton Review?

I did not intend to come across as pompous or arrogant. I was trying to list my strong points, like one would do on an application. My membership in those organizations says nothing about my personality or drive to become a doctor.

Don't worry about it. You're not pompous. Folks get mad when they realize that they too could've been in Mensa with their higher MCAT I suppose.

The reason I don't have any ECs is because I couldn't find any that interested me and I didn't want to join them just to put them on my app. That seems sort of fake to me.

Bad excuse... try harder. If you can't find something that fits... start your own organization. Be pro-active.

It isn't? I think they're looking for people who are smart enough to at least be doctors.
I am pretty sure that I explained further what I meant by that. The intellect required to get into medical school is common - this is why there are always an abundance of pre-meds left over after every application cycle. The ones that make it have typically proven that they are also good people behind their GPA and MCAT scores.

That's my experience anyway. I'm sure there are people who get in because they are incredibly smart. Those people probably didn't get a 28 on the MCAT though.

Would you all recommend taking a course such as Kaplan or Princeton Review?
Nah, they're a ripoff. You can study for it on your own easily.

Don't worry about it. You're not pompous. Folks get mad when they realize that they too could've been in Mensa with their higher MCAT I suppose.

Just to chime in here for a second...

Being part of Mensa isn't necessarily reflected in a high MCAT score - one could argue that any standardized test is partially a reflection of hard work, diligent studying and "test-taking abilities."

Raw natural intelligence, and one's "brightness," is what gets you the higher IQ and thus leads to Mensa membership.

To put it another way, you can't really "study" or "prepare" for an IQ test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure that I explained further what I meant by that. The intellect required to get into medical school is common - this is why there are always an abundance of pre-meds left over after every application cycle. The ones that make it have typically proven that they are also good people behind their GPA and MCAT scores.

I was being facetious... I knew what you meant.

Piffle! If you did some kind of volunteering, that's an EC. What you don't have is a track record of community involvement. When your only EC is volunteering in your senior year, that looks like you did it just so you could meet a perceived requirement for application. It practically shouts, "I'm not doing this because I care about the organization. I'm doing it for ME." Nobody cares about Mensa or the more elitist, "My mental yacht is bigger than yours," Cerebrals Society. They're just sort of fun ways to pat oneself on the back.

Steps you can take to help resolve your deficiencies: Start working on showing that you are more than a mobius strip - that you have more than just an academic, cerebral dimension. Do this by developing interests outside of academics, particularly participating in organizations in a way that involves interacting with other people in your community. Show commitment to volunteering somewhere that interests you.

Edit: Dizzle was the last to post when I started typing this.

28 is an okay MCAT score - unless you have a very high GPA & your main things to crow about are MENSA & the Cerebrals Society. In that case, it's a sorry score. Here you are claiming to be in the top 0.3% IQ, but not even meet the average score of matriculants. Go ahead and retest, but realize that even an awesome score won't get you in unless you develop a record of community service, interests outside of academics, and can display a personality that people don't mind having around for four years.

Unfortunately, when it comes to admissions, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Numbers just open the door. After that, it's the "whole person" who makes it in.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Unfortunately, when it comes to admissions, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Numbers just open the door. After that, it's the "whole person" who makes it in.

Well said.

I've also long contended that adcoms get a little worried when they see a high GPA and (relatively) low MCAT.

From the research I've read the average prep time for the MCAT is in the 100s of hours. I am fairly proud of my score considering that I spent about 2 hours studying for it. I met an MS2 at the school I interviewed at who took it 3 times (with a ton of studying) to finally pull off the 27 that got her in. Now who would probably be the better doctor...:)

i'm a new member, but i can't believe you just posted that!

Actually, Blade, someone close to me always said those tests were easy. Once you understood the thinking behind certain types of questions, scores improved with practice and familiarity. If they were tests of true natural intelligence, that would not be so. I suppose the same thing would hold true for tests like the MCAT. Though I don't know for certain, since I've neither taken nor practiced for it.

From the research I've read the average prep time for the MCAT is in the 100s of hours. I am fairly proud of my score considering that I spent about 2 hours studying for it.

I don't like this logic.

i'm a new member, but i can't believe you just posted that!

I was trying to stick up for myself just a little because some in here are dogging on me a little more than I think I deserve for a 28 MCAT.

I started this room to try and get some useful tips, and I appreciate those who have contributed in that way.

From the research I've read the average prep time for the MCAT is in the 100s of hours. I am fairly proud of my score considering that I spent about 2 hours studying for it. I met an MS2 at the school I interviewed at who took it 3 times (with a ton of studying) to finally pull off the 27 that got her in. Now who would probably be the better doctor...:)

Oooh... and we are going to have to do something with that attitude. Learn to be humble, or the process will do that for you...over and over again. The medical school admissions process is pretty unforgiving.

First of all, it was very unwise to take the MCAT without appropriate study; this contributed to your overall problems, without a doubt. Second, you should know that there is no meaningful correlation between MCAT score and the kind of physician one will ultimately become. Make no mistake, the MCAT's use is primarily as a screening tool for medical school admissions, in addition to having some modest predictive value on boards. There are simply too many factors involved in determining the quality of a physician. Once you get into medical school, you start back at zero. In medical school, nobody talks much about undergraduate GPA or MCAT any more; it's a whole other ballgame.

Humidbeing has some good points. If I were you, I'd pay close attention.

I was trying to stick up for myself just a little because some in here are dogging on me a little more than I think I deserve for a 28 MCAT.

I started this room to try and get some useful tips, and I appreciate those who have contributed in that way.

oh no, i know WHY you did it.
but the way you stood up for yourself is what bothers me.
and especially for the fact that you announced it at a forum like this.--c'mon you gotta expect people at these forums to be some of the many "100 hour" people.
geesh, use some tact.

Thank you Spicedmanna.

ETA: Trust me, if/when I get into med school I won't be thinking about undergrad GPA or MCAT anymore either. I just desperately want into med school because being a doctor is the only job I have ever pictured myself doing.

hey, sorry if i was being hard on you. but good luck with retaking the stuff and adding to your EC list.

Not a problem, ten10.

Does anyone else find it slightly odd that med schools look for ECs so much? From what I've heard, most grad programs don't place such an emphasis on them, even the other humanitarian and service fields.

i would guess for the fact that medicine is a "people job", but i could be wrong here.. and i'm sure there are some other reasons i can't think of cause it's 4 in the morning where i am.

Actually, Blade, someone close to me always said those tests were easy. Once you understood the thinking behind certain types of questions, scores improved with practice and familiarity.

IMHO, they weren't.

But had I taken them multiple times, I may have gotten "accustomed" to them - who knows?

Make no mistake, the MCAT's use is primarily as a screening tool for medical school admissions, in addition to having some modest predictive value on boards. There are simply too many factors involved in determining the quality of a physician. Once you get into medical school, you start back at zero. In medical school, nobody talks much about undergraduate GPA or MCAT any more; it's a whole other ballgame.

Great advice. :thumbup:

WoW

I just read through this and would like to comment. You sir, sound very arrogant and at the same time, dare I say, not as intelligent as you think you are. It wasn't very intelligent to blow off studying for the test that makes up a lot of the screening process for interviewing. Further, you yourself admitted not doing any ECs including volunteering. You were in some "smart people groups;" however, due to a lack of any real EC, I'm sure your personal statement sounded something like " I r smart, I want to be doctor. Let me in cuz I r smart." What does the adcom see? They see wow this guy has a good GPA but he didn't have any life during school, so it was probably easy to get these grades. Why can't he score well on a test though. We might want to slide over him for this more rounded individual that scored a 30 on the MCAT but has slightly lower GPA with some ECs, showing that he/she is a rounded individual that can contribute to society.

ECs are to show that you have a commitment to something. The longer your in an EC, any EC, that shows the adcoms that you can stick to something, which is what they want because they don't want people bailing out on school. Since med school isn't like other grad schools I think it's great that they put emphasis on ECs. PA school does this as well as dental btw.

You sir are, once again, arrogant and think very much of your intelligence. Too bad you didn't use it to research what would be useful to help you get into medical school.

Does anyone else find it slightly odd that med schools look for ECs so much? From what I've heard, most grad programs don't place such an emphasis on them, even the other humanitarian and service fields.

That's a good question. It IS different, but not so odd as all that. Med school falls under the category of Professional School. Those are somewhat different from other types of grad programs.

There are more applicants per slot at med schools than most grad school programs.

States heavily invest in their local programs, with the expectation that many students will stay to live in and SERVE THEIR COMMUNITY. There's a much better chance of that happening if the matriculants have proven track records of community involvement.

The medical profession is presumed to be best served by people who are both intelligent and have the ability to relate to other people - both patients and fellow health team members. Team is a big word in medicine.

Those are the first reasons that come to the top of my head quickly.

Guys, I think we can stop calling the OP arrogant now. He's gotten an earful and toned it down. Besides, his last question was very reasonable. Even the first one was reasonable if a person had only read MSAR data and not received advisement before applying. It could be misunderstood as being purely a numbers game.

Further, you yourself admitted not doing any ECs including volunteering.
In my first posting I stated that I DID do volunteer work at a hospital.

You should volunteer and stay committed to it (as some posters pointed out) over long period of time. If you haven't already done this, look at the MDApps profile of many of the successful applicants. If you can't deomonstrate committment, medical schools will give the spot to someone who is not just academically qualified, but committed. If you look at the admissions requirement for PA schools such as Duke or UW, you'll need extensive, extensive clincal experiences.
Also, how are your interviewing skills? Maybe you should practice with someone who's familiar with medical school interviews and ask for feedback. Just a suggestion. You have the academic qualifications, but you need to prove it. Now is the time to do it (even if that means taking more time off than you anticipated).
Good Luck!

Thanks Cobraevent. Good suggestions that I will definitely try to pursue.

wow, glad to be unbanned because this is a fascinating thread.

normally, i would rip this OP a new one, but i don't wanna get banned again.

that said, if we have learned anything about this crazy process it is that it is a marathon, not a sprint. you need to put an ENTIRE package together that will communicate to schools that you are intelligent, hard working, committed, passionate, etc., etc, etc.

the whole process is designed to weed out those who cannot commit to this profession. many, many weed themselves out (hence all the premed freshman who give it up; hence all the people who get a crummy MCAT and give up; hence all the people who get in no where and give up).

good grades, VERY modest MCAT, and limited evidence of a commitment to this profession will NOT get you into med school. SDN has a million stories like this OP's.

the most shocking thing to me is that he is PROUD of only spending 2 hours studying for the MCAT. that shows a misunderstanding and, frankly, ignorant, view of this process and the importance that the MCAT plays.

also, where did he get these great grades as and undergrad? this matters.

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me.

I graduated college with a BA in psychology with a 3.9 GPA, Summa Cum Laude. I didn't study for the MCAT but managed a 28. I am a former member of Mensa and a current member of Cerebrals Society. I did shadowing and volunteering during senior year.

I applied to 5 schools in Texas and did not get into any of them. This has left me somewhat perplexed as I have talked to many people who have gotten in with lower GPAs and MCAT scores.

Anyone have any useful tips? Thanks in advance.

Just out of curiosity: are you no longer in Mensa? I know almost nothing about Mensa except that it is a group of people with high IQs. Is there like a limited time for membership or you just chose not to be in it anymore?

most people go to medical school and then do a lengthy residency in surgery before operating on patients. considering that i only studied an anatomy book for 2 hours i would say that that appendectomy went quite well. :thumbup:

I think you shot yourself in the foot with your MCAT score. You use your smart kid organizations to try and prove what an intellectual badass you are, then get a very average score on the MCAT. What does this say? Either you are not that smart and the mensa thing is BS (which it probably is), or you thought you were too good to put the work into the MCAT (and you come off as arrogent and lazy). Either way, its not good. You need to retake the MCAT and rock out on it, and spend some time doing something other that basking in your own glory.

Just out of curiosity: are you no longer in Mensa? I know almost nothing about Mensa except that it is a group of people with high IQs. Is there like a limited time for membership or you just chose not to be in it anymore?

maybe he got stupider?

maybe MENSA spies got wind of the 28 MCAT and booted him out?

The medical profession is presumed to be best served by people who are both intelligent and have the ability to relate to other people - both patients and fellow health team members. Team is a big word in medicine.

Those are the first reasons that come to the top of my head quickly.

I would agree, and I think that the ECs are an underrated part of the application. Might I suggest that the OP spend some time on the non-traditionals site to gain a sense of how important ECs and real "life experience" can be? Case in point: I have a lower-than-average GPA (3.35) from classes I took over 10 years ago. Although my MCAT score was good, I stressed that my 6 years as a high school teacher prepared me to be a doctor more than any academic information I learned in my undergrad classes. How do you learn to relate to people different than you? Experience, experience, experience. Thankfully, it seemed to have worked.

Thinking about it, I don't think I was asked any questions in detail about my academic record during my interviews. In fact, in one of the interviews we spent 15 minutes talking about cooking and the interviewers latest Split Pea Soup recipe.

Speaking with a family friend who used to do interviews for a state med school, she said that they were mainly interested in (1) how the student handled stress; (2) their specific motivation to enter medicine; and (3) how they work in teams and with others. The attitude "I hate working in groups or with others" might get you through school, but you'll crash and burn when you get into the real world. Not to imply that the OP has this attitude, just a general observation, word of advice from the outside looking in.

There has been some good advice that I hope the OP takes to heart. However, as a former member of an adcom, I think it's probably best that you haven't gotten any interviews - based on how you've answered some of the questions in this forum, I imagine that you would not have been picked anyway. I know that internet response =/= interview question response, but I wonder how you'd have answered the following questions:

1. MCAT...Why so low? If you planned on answering this question with the fact that you only studied for 2 hours, this would be a red flag for several reasons: poor judgment, not being serious about being a physician, arrogance. If you wanted to say anything along the lines that you thought it was a pretty good score, I'd go back to your Mensa, etc, credentials and say that these don't necessarily jibe. How did your MCAT score break down? Did you have any numbers below 9 in any section? If so, this would be another red flag. Follow up question would be what do you plan to do about this? Hopefully, your answer would be to take the MCAT again.

2. Why so few ECs? This has been discussed, but I'd wager that if you were to say anything along the lines of, "I don't want to be phony", I'd probably counter with something like, "So, there were no clubs/groups on your entire campus (or in your city) that you felt that you could join?" Red flag for either lack of social skills, lack of interest, psych disorder (schizoid? Asperger's? though both admittedly unlikely). I would also wonder why, if you felt that nothing like this was available, you didn't start a group yourself.

3. Given the lack of ECs, I'd be interested in your personal statement. Why do you want to become a doctor and what have you done to give validity to your personal statement. Again, no ECs, so can't verify that way. So the only thing I'd have left would be your LOR. What do they say? Obviously, you probably don't know what those say, but because you've given the adcom so little to work with, these letters need to bring forth information about your compassion, dedication, +/- intelligence (the intelligence has been covered in other areas - GPA, Mensa, etc), why you specifically should be a doctor. If possible, you may want to talk with your LOR writers and ask that they speak to these things.

4. You are a prime candidate for the "If you don't get into medical school, what will you do?" Hopefully, you know how to answer this question (blah blah, try again, blah blah, if I can't be a doc then something in the medical community).

5. What do you know of medical issues? Medicaid? Medicare? Challenges facing your particular community? Tort reform? You would be likely to be grilled on these issues because your application doesn't speak to someone who wants to be a physician out of love of medicine, but because he figures he's smart enough to do it.

I hope I haven't been rough - I just want you to know that while you see yourself as a good candidate, based on what you've presented in this forum, you come off as a big red flag that some schools may not want to try and decipher when they have so many applicants who've given them so much more to work with. Two more pieces of advice: 1)talk with your pre-med adviser. Have them look at your app and give you some suggestions. 2) Talk with the school at which you applied and ask them what you could do to improve your application.

HTH.

The reason I don't have any ECs is because I couldn't find any that interested me and I didn't want to join them just to put them on my app. That seems sort of fake to me.

There's your problem, OP. Out of the probably hundreds of student organizations on your campus, you couldn't find a single one that was interesting to you?

Med schools want people who have interests outside of science and people to whom patients can relate. You haven't shown that you're capable of fitting either of those criteria.

But seriously, nothing interested you? How is that possible? You don't like sports/volunteering/politics/music/anything?!

There has been some good advice that I hope the OP takes to heart. However, as a former member of an adcom, I think it's probably best that you haven't gotten any interviews - based on how you've answered some of the questions in this forum, I imagine that you would not have been picked anyway. I know that internet response =/= interview question response, but I wonder how you'd have answered the following questions:

1. MCAT...Why so low? If you planned on answering this question with the fact that you only studied for 2 hours, this would be a red flag for several reasons: poor judgment, not being serious about being a physician, arrogance. If you wanted to say anything along the lines that you thought it was a pretty good score, I'd go back to your Mensa, etc, credentials and say that these don't necessarily jibe. How did your MCAT score break down? Did you have any numbers below 9 in any section? If so, this would be another red flag. Follow up question would be what do you plan to do about this? Hopefully, your answer would be to take the MCAT again.

2. Why so few ECs? This has been discussed, but I'd wager that if you were to say anything along the lines of, "I don't want to be phony", I'd probably counter with something like, "So, there were no clubs/groups on your entire campus (or in your city) that you felt that you could join?" Red flag for either lack of social skills, lack of interest, psych disorder (schizoid? autistic? though both admittedly unlikely). I would also wonder why, if you felt that nothing like this was available, you didn't start a group yourself.

3. Given the lack of ECs, I'd be interested in your personal statement. Why do you want to become a doctor and what have you done to give validity to your personal statement. Again, no ECs, so can't verify that way. So the only thing I'd have left would be your LOR. What do they say? Obviously, you probably don't know what those say, but because you've given the adcom so little to work with, these letters need to bring forth information about your compassion, dedication, +/- intelligence (the intelligence has been covered in other areas - GPA, Mensa, etc), why you specifically should be a doctor. If possible, you may want to talk with your LOR writers and ask that they speak to these things.

4. You are a prime candidate for the "If you don't get into medical school, what will you do?" Hopefully, you know how to answer this question (blah blah, try again, blah blah, if I can't be a doc then something in the medical community).

5. What do you know of medical issues? Medicaid? Medicare? Challenges facing your particular community? Tort reform? You would be likely to be grilled on these issues because your application doesn't speak to someone who wants to be a physician out of love of medicine, but because he figures he's smart enough to do it.

I hope I haven't been rough - I just want you to know that while you see yourself as a good candidate, based on what you've presented in this forum, you come off as a big red flag that some schools may not want to try and decipher when they have so many applicants who've given them so much more to work with. Two more pieces of advice: 1)talk with your pre-med adviser. Have them look at your app and give you some suggestions. 2) Talk with the school at which you applied and ask them what you could do to improve your application.

HTH.

WOW, TREMENDOUS ADVICE FOR US ALL!!!

Not a problem, ten10.

Wow. Such great advice in this thread! To add to that, I'd like to point out one thing in response to your question above, OP. In addition to ECs showing that you've got other interests and are a more balanced sociable individual, ECs also include your clinical/volunteering/research experience. You mentioned you shadowed two doctors. That's not much. You mentioned you volunteered in a hospital for your senior year. That really might not be enough clinical experience/EC entries (I personally know some great reapplicants who had very solid apps, but under 100 volunteer/clinical hours, and were told by adcoms that that's why they didn't get in). Schools want to see community service, your interests, your commitment to becoming a doctor AND that you know what you're getting into.

You mention that other grad programs don't require so many ECs or volunteering. First off, most grad schools aren't, at a minimum, seven years (four for school plus at least three for residency). That's a huge commitment and amount of money and time to invest. If you realize at the end (or during) the process that medicine wasn't right for you, but you simply didn't have the exposure before, that's a serious problem.

For law school, they definitely don't require a ton of ECs or volunteering or even paralegal/volunteer work in the legal field. In fact, I wish they did. Everyone I know that worked as a paralegal for a summer before going to law school decided not to go to law school at all. I've even met a few pre-med non-trads who volunteered at a clinic or ER and then decided that medicine was not actually for them. Bottom line is that I think it's a great idea that they look for applicants that have a lot of experiences, both over time and in multiple areas. It also demonstrates that you likely have some perspective and the maturity that comes from experience and working with others.

As stated above, I would suggest that you study for and retake the MCAT, and get some more ECs under your belt. Just be sure to make it something you're interested in. I don't believe that you need to be involved with campus groups. You could do outside activities. Volunteer at a free clinic, find a clinical research project to work on, join a local community service group you're interested. Hell, do canine rescue work. It has nothing to do with medicine, and nothing to do with school, but it came up at a bunch of interviews, and was clearly a positive thing.

I'll leave you with this: Imagine that they ask you what you're passionate about that's not related to school or medicine. I've seen that on some secondaries, and been asked at interviews. What would your answer be?

I have read through this thread and has come up w/ the following diagnosis:

1. Low MCAT - your score won't even get your foot through the door, and from what I know, Texas schools are quite competitive

2. Lack of ECs - even if your GPA got the ADCOM people to take the time to review your application holistically, your lack of ECs waves a red flag in their face

3. Your attitude - I'm pretty sure this came through on your application b/c from what you wrote here, it speaks VOLUMES about who you are - - and it doesn't cast you in a positive light. I won't list out those areas b/c I know you already know it and/or others have pointed them out to you already

As for a roadmap for getting into medical school:

1. Your attitude - You need to seriously ask yourself this question, "Why do I want to be a doctor?" There really is no good way to do this - - - - but perhaps you should start volunteering at a clinic or hospital or something of the sort. It is also a good idea to have a feel for the wealth divide and what is like to be underserved. Your "lack of interests" speaks of your family and upbringing, so I suggest you to start reading the news/books/magazines more, and w/ that, start challenging your worldview - the very sinews of your upbringing and family background.

2. Lack of ECs - if you really determine that you want to be a doctor, you should take an initiative in getting involved. In the past, although you said you couldn't find anything that interested you, it is my opinion that you didn't really look. There's something for everyone; all you have to do is look (and it can get difficult). This might actually take you awhile (several years, maybe), b/c you don't want med schools to think that you're doing all this for the sake of getting accepted.

3. Low MCAT - retake it once you are determined to become a doctor.

Best of luck!

I'm actually kind of surprized that no one mentioned this so I guess I thought I would. I would have to say that a good percentge of the people in medical school could be in Mensa if they wanted to. I think that adcoms are looking for a lot more than just raw intelligence. I, myself, am a member of Mensa (with a 27 MCAT) but I joined for a very specific reason due to trying to learn about issues I was having with my son about 3 or 4 years ago. I have gotten no real benefit out of being a member and will problably not pay dues next time. There is no way I would have put this on my application or mentioned it to adcoms. I know some people do but I didn't want to set myself up for ridicule or more questions about my weak spots than I was already going to face being a non-trad. Besides, I had at least 15 other ECs that I thought adcoms would care about more than being a passive member of Mensa. I would say just do what everyone else is advising and get more clinical experience and some interesting ECs that you can talk about during an interview that makes you sound like someone that other people would want to come to as a physician. Patients want to like their doctor, they already expect them to be smart.

Texas schools are much more competitive in recent years than you'd like to believe. A 28 just won't cut it anymore (especially if you claim to have only studied for 2 hours, I spent more time on college tests!) Combine that with what other people have already said and you have a potent recipe for disaster.

However, at this point, I'd recommend taking a year off to actually fill the large gaps in your application. Luckily, an MCAT score can easily be increased in a few months, community service can be gained, and our app reshaped to something much better, but you need to take an honest look at what you've said here, why people are reacting the way they are, and change something about yourself.

Merry Christmas.

First you are coming off as an arrogant prick, schools aren't interested in arrogant pricks.

Second you show no real interest in medicine - much like you said to yourself one day, "Hey I think I'll go to medical school". There is nothing about your app as you've said here that would make anyone want to bring you to medical school.

Third - your mensa and cerebrals memberships and your MCAT do not match up - you are incongruous. What do you need to get into Mensa, like a 130 IQ? And what is that like 2 or 3 SD above the norm of 100? If all of that is true your MCAT is weak.

There is still time left to get interviews and get accepted this year, but if you do not, I suggest finding some EC's that show you actually want to be a physician, maybe study for that MCAT, and show them a better score, and finally NEVER mention you are in cerebrals or a part of mensa again

Status
Not open for further replies.