Need help finalizing list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadenfreude

T or F: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MI resident
Major: Biochemistry
cGPA/sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 1st score 30 (13/6/11); 2nd score 32 (13/9/10)

Research:
  • Few years involvement including 3 competitive summer internships (2 of which were international in 2 different countries) with some poster/oral presentations and publications. Currently involved in this during gap year.
Non-clinical ECs:
  • Volunteering with a major organization involving 1 week overseas projects (Completed 5 in 5 different countries) as well as local projects (~400 hours)
  • Tutoring elementary school students (20+ hours, 1 school year)
  • Gen Chem lab TA (1 semester)
  • Ambassador in Honors program (1 school year)
Clinical ECs:
  • Patient transporter (250+ hours)
  • Hospice volunteer (170+ hours, ongoing)
  • Physician shadowing (both clinical and surgical exposure; 150+ hours)
Awards:
  • Bunch of them. Briefly includes full tuition scholarship to undergrad, scholarships for the internships mentioned above, merit/achievement awards for certain classes, dean's list, etc
Hobbies:
  • Have been involved in a somewhat unique one since I was a kid. Don't want to state what it is here, but I'm extremely passionate about it and have taken part in auditions/competitions at both the national and international levels
  • International traveling; been to 15 countries in different capacities (tourism, volunteering, and/or research...not sure if this is even a noteworthy accomplishment haha; worth mentioning?)
Finally, not URM or disadvantaged.

Below is my list.

Central Michigan
Michigan State
Western Michigan
Wayne State
OUWB
University of Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Penn State
SLU
Rochester
OSU
Cincinnati
UTexas Houston
UTexas San Antonio
UTMB
Baylor
Emory
Mayo
UCSF
Columbia
University of Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
Northwestern
Stanford

I think I have a reasonable balance between low, mid, and high tier schools. I realize that my reaches at the end of the list are probably just donations, but I still wanted to give it a shot. I would like some advice on adding or removing certain schools if there are specific reasons why I should do so.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is to expand the middle of your list with schools like Tulane and really cut back on the really low yield choices (like TX schools, Stanford...).

Do you think the rest of my application is strong and/or unique enough to make up for my MCAT for the reaches on my list? If not, which reaches should I remove and which would be good ones to try for?

Also, out of curiosity, what do you think of my chances at U of M (my dream school)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think the rest of my application is strong and/or unique enough to make up for my MCAT for the reaches on my list? If not, which reaches should I remove and which would be good ones to try for?

Also, out of curiosity, what do you think of my chances at U of M (my dream school)?
"Strong" is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as you have a sufficient amount of clinical experience and stats consistent with success, I tend to factor in other data known to be important at the schools in question to come up with suggestions.

U of MI is your state flagship. With a 10% MCAT of 32, you are a low probability candidate for that school. They are one of the few public institutions that interviews and matriculates more OOS than IS applicants. You should still apply though, as your gpa may be seen as a mitigating factor
On the other hand, at least 10 of your reaches are very low yield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot @gyngyn

Was wondering if anyone else had some input they could offer.

Re:

UCSF
Columbia
University of Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
Northwestern
Stanford
All UTexas schools

You really should reconsider throwing not just money, but time, effort, and sanity away to these schools. The secondaries for many of these schools are long and involved and the marginal benefit for an applicant with 30/32 MCAT scores is essentially 0.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @WedgeDawg

Besides Tulane, are there any other specific schools I should consider?

Also, I would really appreciate a response to my question regarding the second bullet point in the Hobbies section.

Perhaps these schools?

University of Vermont
Wake Forest
Medical College of Wisconsin
Miami

and maybe...
Rochester
Temple

With regards to your traveling, when has most of it been? During your college years or throughout your life?

I mean I don't think it will hurt you, but I've seen some negative perceptions on volunteering abroad (e.g. voluntourism) so I'd tread lightly on what the significance of that aspect meant to you other than perhaps broadening your perspective on culture/life or whatever (the fact that you list it as a hobby is perhaps wise in this light). The research aspect is worth mentioning I suppose.

I'll definitely consider adding those schools (already have Rochester). Thanks.

In regards to the international traveling, most of it has been throughout college. I graduated last year (2014) and have done 2 international trips since then. To clarify, the volunteering and research capacities of my international trips refers those mentioned in the Research and Non-clinical ECs sections. I, too, have heard on here the views on volunteering abroad. With that being said, the volunteering trips abroad were NOT medical/clinical in any way. After finishing a few trips, I realized just how meaningful the experiences were to me and, as a result, I decided to expand on the organization's mission locally within my community as well as continue with the international trips. I just hope that my case is seen in a positive light rather than negative.

Also, would you say that it is only my MCAT scores that make me a less than desirable candidate for the top tier schools? Or, rather, is it my MCAT scores along with the rest of my application that simply is just not good enough? In other words, I know my MCAT scores are not that great and possibly the weakest point in my application, but is the rest of my application good/ok? I ask because I legitimately don't know.

Your gpa is great in a challenging major. Interpretation of the gpa will vary a bit depending on your undergrad, but it is the strength of your application.
Your MCAT's are average for matriculants.
Your EC's are good.
Overall you are a slightly above average applicant.
Depending on penetrance of the MCAT on schools to which you apply you should be fine.

That said I doubt you will get interviews in CA. Let me know if I am wrong!