Need help finding schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newguy92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having trouble finding schools to apply to besides my in-state schools (Virginia resident). I talked to my advisor, but I don't know how realistic some of her options are...

Here are a couple stats

URM, cGPA 3.61 ( mostly upward trend, got a 3.98 last semester while taking 3 science classes if that helps), I haven't done the calculation yet but my sGPA should be >= 3.61. I have mostly As or A-s in my upper level science classes.

Haven't taken the MCAT yet but last few practice tests were low 30s, hoping to improve by a few points.

ECs are decent, 2 years of research with the summer coming up, peer tutor, club sport, etc... I may be a little lacking in clinical experience, but I honestly feel like I did the best I could and I will be continuing getting experience throughout the application process.

Minoring in Spanish/Hispanic Studies (I'm Non-Hispanic) if that's of any interest

If it helps, I would prefer to live in or near a city (e.g. Boston, NY, etc...), also schools with a focus in research would be a plus

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As with all admission processes you should apply to a variety of schools - reach target and safe. You should as you said apply to your state schools and your scores and geographic preferences should help you figure out the rest. I would for sure in your situation buy the near, look through it and aim to apply to 15 to 20 schools. It is hard to give examples of what schools you should apply to without your mcat score.