Need Help: Foreign College Bio major + US PhD in Biomedicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frederick

==Life is Beautiful!==
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,everyone. Here is my situation and I have some questions that need your help. Thanks very much in advance:

I finished my B.S. degree in biological sciences in a national accredited foreign college. During college, I have completed all the courses required by the medical school application in US including biochemistry, chemistry, physics, math, cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, animal physiology etc. and also lab researches. My GPA was 3.7.

Then I came to US and obtained my PhD degree in biomedical sciences during which the first two years of courses included graduate leveled biochemistry, cell biology and integrative physiology, molecular biology, molecular genetics, microbiology, virology, immunology. My GPA was 3.8.

So my question is do I still need to take pre-requisite courses before applying?

Also, if I can apply, how am I suppose to request the official transcripts from my foreign college to send them directly to AMCAS? That will be a huge hassle since I am in US right now. I read the Q&A on AMCAS website. It says foreign transcripts are not required, but the applicants have to request for transcript exception. How does it work? Is there an option that I can select while filling out application online or I have to contact them personally to request for this exception?

Sorry for such a long post. Any of your input will be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

Page 51 - "AMCAS does not accept transcripts from international evaluation services, such as World Education Services (WES)."

OP, talk to the schools you plan to apply to. They are the only ones who can tell you whether or not they will accept your foreign coursework, or whether they want you to have your transcripts evaluated.

Members don't see this ad :)

Page 51 - "AMCAS does not accept transcripts from international evaluation services, such as World Education Services (WES)."

OP, talk to the schools you plan to apply to. They are the only ones who can tell you whether or not they will accept your foreign coursework, or whether they want you to have your transcripts evaluated.

I agree with this post.. The schools are the best ones to tell you what their policies are.

Even worse for you then. In light of that, I would bargain you have to redo all the pre-req's here. Although it wouldn't hurt to ask first I guess.

I am pretty sure you will need to retake the prereqs here...in fact, I believe for most schools you need at least 90 credits from a US undergraduate institution (i.e., your graduate work, while a good thing for your application in general, might not satisfy this requirement). It' s been a long time since I looked at this stuff, so please check it for yourself.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Thanks a lot for the good tips. I will contact the schools.

One thing to note, if you aren't a permanent resident of the US, you almost forget about medical school here. Make sure you have your green card or are in the process of getting it otherwise you'll end up wasting a lot of time and money for nothing. The F-1 visa is very rarely accepted at US medical schools.

One thing to note, if you aren't a permanent resident of the US, you almost forget about medical school here. Make sure you have your green card or are in the process of getting it otherwise you'll end up wasting a lot of time and money for nothing. The F-1 visa is very rarely accepted at US medical schools.

Thanks. I am aware of this issue. I am in the process of getting it. But I will not get it before submitting my application. Does that matter?

Thanks. I am aware of this issue. I am in the process of getting it. But I will not get it before submitting my application. Does that matter?

I'm not sure. There is a question on the AMCAS that does ask if you are a citizen/permanent resident, so it might matter. I'd check with each individual school you are applying to.

I'm not sure. There is a question on the AMCAS that does ask if you are a citizen/permanent resident, so it might matter. I'd check with each individual school you are applying to.

Thanks for your input. I appreciated it!