Need help making a decision!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the four clinical psyd programs I must choose from: University of Hartford, University of Indianapolis, Nova, and Florida Tech. Honestly, all seem like solid programs. Initially, my first choice was either Nova or Indianapolis. However, I am torn between all four of them. I already looked into professor interests, match rates, etc. I would just like to know which program is better known in the field, attending which program would help me out in my career, etc. I am interested in completing a post-doc in forensics and working with long term mental illness. Research is very important to me throughout graduate school. Help would be very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Surely you can decide quickly which one is your least favorite, so that you aren't holding four offers at once.

Reactions: 1 users
Let go of one-two offers ASAP. There is no reason to be holding four offers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would argue that 3 are mid-level, acceptable, Psy.D programs. Nova will cost you 3 to 4 times your average psychologist salary. That's just silly.

If you are happy with the outcome data, opportunities, and resources at the other 3, go with the one with the lowest tuition or best funding opps.

Reactions: 1 user
I already let go of three other offers. I just got these, so I'm trying to decide as quickly as I can. Honestly Nova was my "favorite", I felt at home and had a good connection with two of the faculty members who run the long term mental illness track. They both do a lot of research. However, Indianapolis has amazing stats. Both will cost me the same. Hartford is the cheapest but didn't get as good of a vibe. I was blown away by FIT's forensic program (someone just got an APA internship that is the #1 forensic site so that is tempting...). Do you need a formal "track" or concentration to be competitive for post-doc?

I already let go of three other offers. I just got these, so I'm trying to decide as quickly as I can. Honestly Nova was my "favorite", I felt at home and had a good connection with two of the faculty members who run the long term mental illness track. They both do a lot of research. However, Indianapolis has amazing stats. Both will cost me the same. Hartford is the cheapest but didn't get as good of a vibe. I was blown away by FIT's forensic program (someone just got an APA internship that is the #1 forensic site so that is tempting...). Do you need a formal "track" or concentration to be competitive for post-doc?

You don't need a specific "track" to be competitive. A lot of schools have these "tracks" which don't mean anything in the end. However, if you have faculty members doing research in what you are interested in (it sounds like you have forensic interests), that will go MUCH further than having a designated "track."

EDIT: FIT has higher match rates than the other three.

I'd say that in most or all cases tracks are gimmicks. They don't lead to a specific career or kind of post doctoral training and don't necessarily indicate that a program offers something that other programs don't. I'd see it as a bad sign rather than a good one, to be honest. If FIT has good outcomes, a forensic focus and their grads go onto to actual forensic internships and jobs that are appealing to you, it sounds like a no brainer.

You don't need a specific "track" to be competitive. A lot of schools have these "tracks" which don't mean anything in the end. However, if you have faculty members doing research in what you are interested in (it sounds like you have forensic interests), that will go MUCH further than having a designated "track."

EDIT: FIT has higher match rates than the other three.
I thought Indianapolis had higher match rates and a more respected program?

Indianapolis is a bit expensive if you don't receive an assistantship (almost 30k per year). I agree with everyone else about the tracks..it's nice to be able to take some extra courses in an area of interest but it's not very important. I loved Uindy and I will most likely accept their offer depending on if I get an assistantship. I think we should find out by this coming week so as far as indianapolis goes, I'd wait until you hear about what they can offer you in terms of financial aid

Indianapolis is a bit expensive if you don't receive an assistantship (almost 30k per year). I agree with everyone else about the tracks..it's nice to be able to take some extra courses in an area of interest but it's not very important. I loved Uindy and I will most likely accept their offer depending on if I get an assistantship. I think we should find out by this coming week so as far as indianapolis goes, I'd wait until you hear about what they can offer you in terms of financial aid
Yeah that will play a large role in my decision. Did you also apply to Florida Tech?

I thought Indianapolis had higher match rates and a more respected program?

I have heard good things about both FIT and Indianapolis. When I said FIT had higher match rates, that was based on me glancing at the data of compiled match rates to APA programs for 2011–2014.

So the consensus is FIT and Indianapolis > Hartford and Nova?

Here are the four clinical psyd programs I must choose from: University of Hartford, University of Indianapolis, Nova, and Florida Tech. Honestly, all seem like solid programs. Initially, my first choice was either Nova or Indianapolis. However, I am torn between all four of them. I already looked into professor interests, match rates, etc. I would just like to know which program is better known in the field, attending which program would help me out in my career, etc. I am interested in completing a post-doc in forensics and working with long term mental illness. Research is very important to me throughout graduate school. Help would be very much appreciated!
Did you already get an offer from FIT?