Need help making a schedule for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianCamel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been putting this off for a while but I think I'm about ready to take this thing on. I graduated in May and took some time to travel and visit some distant relatives. Since then, I've started working as a scribe. I am currently scribing for an orthopedic surgeon and a family physician (been doing this for about 3 months). I'm also working as a part-time Pharmacy Technician (been doing this for over a year). I figured I needed clinical experience and scribing is definitely helping me rediscover why I want to become a physician. Anyways, after talking to one of my best friends in an SMP program (MSBS program) I figured it would be in my best interest to attempt to apply. It would not only serve as a opportunity to make up for my subpar undergraduate GPA (3.0 after some retakes) but it would also give me a decent shot at a local MD school rather than attempting to go for a DO school. I was told that I can apply in May/June and it wouldn't make a difference. I also have some connections I can possibly attempt to use to my advantage. Anyways the only thing standing between me and my application process is an MCAT score.

I was looking at test dates and the April 1st test date would be my best bet. It gives me 5 months to get ready and I would get my MCAT score early enough to apply for the MSBS program for the next academic year (2016-2017).

So for a quick summary, I'll tell you I'll need to do quite a bit of content review. I half assed my way through my pre-reqs and crammed/memorized content which ended up going in one ear and out the other. So although I might recognize some material, I would need to pretty much need to study everything as if it was the first time. As of right now, I own the Kaplan 7 book series (2015) along with the flashcards. I was thinking of going through them once just as a light review over the next 1-2 months before starting the heavy studying around 3 months before the exam (so around Jan 1st). I'm also not sure if this would be of any use but I also own the EK books for the previous MCAT (I think the 2014 version). I'm also considering doing the 100 day program done by Next Step however I'm not quite sure how I would make that work. I will be attending a conference from December 26st through the 1st of January and will have no time to study. That would leave me with roughly 90 days before the April 1st date.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I would go about customizing a schedule. I'm looking to get one made by the first of November so I can at least start skimming through some material. It has been a while since I've sat down and studied and it's been a even longer time since I did some legitimate studying and not some half assed sessions. What I have in my mind so far is that the next 2 months would serve well to get back in the groove of things and get a fair bit of review going, then I kick it up a notch and do some legitimate studying for 2 months and then kick into overdrive and study as much as I can for the last month.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT 2015 FAQ (link in my signature) has links to a bunch of study schedules that have already been created for the new exam, in addition to guides aimed to help you create your own. :)

Reactions: 1 user
any recommendations on reading material? I have the 7 Kaplan book series. I've downloaded the MCAT 2015 change pdf from Kaplan and the pdfs from AAMC and AMCAS so I can get myself more familiar with what's going to the on the exam, the exam itself and the application process. I think I'm going to get the EK books as well. How would I decide between that and the other options such as TPR or TBR or NS and also are there any supplemental readings that will be worth printing off during the beginning phase of this all?