Need help: MGIB for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this question in the GI Bill sticky...but it doesn't get much traffic, so I will ask again here.

My situation: I declined the Montgomery GI Bill about 5 years ago due to incorrect counseling that I would not be able to use it further along in training (residency). I never bought in. I have been accepted to a 3-year civilian residency and I will start July 2016. The residency in which I will be going has a much higher pay out for Montgomery GI Bill than Post-911 GI Bill (due to low location BAH). I also may go to fellowship, which sweetens the pot for the Montgomery GI, since you can use a year of P911GIB after exhausting MGIB.

I would like to retroactively buy-in to the Montgomery GI Bill and get the kicker, but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a line before I pursue this. I went to my bases PSD and they confirmed that I declined the MGIB. I went to JAG and they referred me to my base's legal assistance office. They were unsure about how to help me (but tried), and gave me two leads: The GI Bill helpline which run by the VA: 888-442-4551 and also recommending that I went to my local VA hospital's benefits office.

My questions:
1) Is my understanding of the GI Bill above correct (I don't want to buy in to the MGIB, only to find out that I can't use it)?

2) Has anyone actually had success contesting and buying in to the MGIB late?

3) Am I going to be able to get answers from the VA helpline/benefits office, and does anyone have a good point of contact to reach someone who know how to help me?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi J4pac

Caveat, this is from 2004 when I did just what you are asking. I never got the chance to "buy in" to the GI bill. You can do it now, at least you could with the pre-9/11 GI bill. You have to contest the Board of Naval Records. I wrote a letter to them stating above and my CO endorsed it, sent it to the Board. They approved it, which was always the case back then. I then gave them 1200$, as I recall, and viola....GI bill.

You absolutely can use for residency, at the time was a nice 1000$ a month for 3 years added to my resident pay. Allowed me beer and pizza!

This has been done. You have to tell them that you were incorrectly counseled and you can buy in. If you're already out, you may not be able to correct this.
Good luck.
I used 12 months of mine for my fellowship. I may use the remainder for an MBA. It's a potentially very valuable benefit and it's criminal that they counsel people so badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I just went through TAP (transition assistance program) in the Air Force and was told that you can't do the 3 year Montgomery, 1 year Post 9/11 combination if you began service after 2009.

Was that bad info?

@Maverick87 everything that I have read suggests that is incorrect counseling. You can't do P911GIB then MGIB, but you can do MGIB then P911GIB.

@ProwlerturnGas and @IlDestriero thanks a ton. Did you have to do the standard first and second endorsement letters to the Board of Correction of Naval Records with the DD-149 as an enclosure? Thanks!