need help narrowing school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derrecklazer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My stats are 3.8cGPA (counting two Cs in HS), 3.9sGPA, 31 MCAT, and mediocre ECs. I'm a Cali resident. I would appreciate help with narrowing down this list of 30 to the 22 most OOS-friendly schools. If I have left out any OOS friendly schools please let me know. Thank you in advance!!

Albany
Buffalo
SLU
U of Central Florida
SUNY Downstate
NYMC
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
USF Morsani
Oakland Beaumont
Qunnipiac
Jefferson
Stony Brook
West Virginia
Rush
Penn State
SUNY Upstate
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
U Maryland
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wright
U Toledo
George Washington
U Illinois
VCU
Commonwealth
U Arizona (Phoenix)
U Arizona (Tuscon)

Members don't see this ad.

This is what you are looking for: https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstable1.pdf

I wouldn't call SUNY Downstate or UPSTATE out of state friendly. Commonwealth and Illinois aren't out of state friendly either I'd scratch those unless you really have a reason to want to go there.

I'm copying this from another thread but these are some of the less competitive of the MD schools(if less competitive is such a thing).

UCs school
Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Temple University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

In addition to this list, you can also add Hofstra, Jefferson, Penn State, Virginia Tech, WVU, Eastern Virginia, Creighton, Wake Forest, VCU and Medical College of Wisconsin, Vermont
There might be one or two schools on here that aren't smart to apply to because of OOS preferences or other reasons, but by and large these are the big ones.

Here are some other good schools that are definitely more competitive but still worth looking into in your case. Some might be a bit of a reach but by and large these are worth looking at.
Case Western
Mt. Sinai
USC
Georgetown
BU
GWU
Saint Louis
Miami
Cincinnati
Rochester
Ohio State
Maryland
Einstein

Here are some more reaches. If your EC's are medicore combined with a 31 and CA residency these might not all be realistic but I'd still consider applying to a couple of them.
Michigan
NYU
Vandy
Baylor
Northwestern
Emory
Pitt
Mayo
UVA

A solid plan would be to pick 12-15 from the top list, 5-7 from the middle list, 3-4 from the bottom list and give it your best shot. You should be able to get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Western Michigan oos friendly? The secondary asks for connections to the region

IS
apps 1168
interviews 171 (14.6%)
matriculates: 23 (13.4 % of interviewees/2% of total apps)

OOS
apps 2398
interviews 168 (7%)
matriculates: 31 18.4%/1.3% total apps)

So yes, if they give you an II, the odds are more likely that you'll get an accept!

Obviously, people from the Great Lakes region will have an edge vs someone from, say, GA or FL

Is Western Michigan oos friendly? The secondary asks for connections to the region

If they only interview 15% of IS applicants I wouldn't really call that particularly IS friendly but given how small the school is it is very competitive to get a II OOS for anybody.