Need Help!! No Gen Chem I - Should I take course during gap year or hope for the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Here's my issue. I never took General Chemistry I during my undergraduate years, because I used an AP Chem credit to place out of it. However, the AP credit was never added to my transcript. So right now I only have Gen Chem II with the lab, but no Gen Chem I for satisfying the criteria for a full year of general chemistry.

I have taken a full year of Organic with lab and Biochem, so I have four semesters of Chem.

My pre-med advisor says that schools won't care whether I have that one semester of Gen Chem or not because I have already taken advanced courses in Chem.

What do you all think? I enrolled in Gen Chem I at Harvard Extension but I can drop out and get a refund at any time. Taking the course also won't interfere with my app cycle, since I'm applying next year and the course is over in December.

Thanks in advance SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

This might be a silly question, but can you just not get the AP credit listed on your undergraduate transcript?

If you cannot, I would personally take the course at HES so you can be eligible to apply to schools that list an explicit general chemistry requirement of one year.

Also, ignore your adviser.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @Cawolf. Yeah, for all future students looking at this thread and wondering about the same thing - you must list all AP credits before you graduate! It's impossible to get them added after you graduate. At least at my school (and I believe most other undergraduate institutions)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Call the schools you're applying to and ask! I took a one semester sequence of Gen Chem, but later took an advanced inorganic chem class and so far it's been accepted as just fine, but I would definitely call the schools first and see.

Call the schools you're applying to and ask! I took a one semester sequence of Gen Chem, but later took an advanced inorganic chem class and so far it's been accepted as just fine, but I would definitely call the schools first and see.

This ^. I would contact at least a a handful of schools, especially those you are most interested in to see if they will accept your application as is. This is one of those times were logically speaking it should be ok, but you never know how particular programs will be. Also, if you can't get it added to your transcript see if you can at least get documentation of it put in your file and documents sent to schools.