Need help planning my next year for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onewayoranother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there ;)
So I guess it is already clear, that I aspire to become a doctor. I graduated last year with 3As and a B in A levels and head out to Germany to learn German in hope of studying medicine there in the upcoming acedemic year. Well most of that went according to plan, I finished with my German and did my TesDAF which is a language test you have to pass if you want to study in a German university. I was then told that my A levels are not recognised since I had not done Langauage in A levels but the 3 sciences and maths. After visiting countless student advisors the best plan I came up with was to repeat my A levels in 2015 and do a language since I had missed the 2014 exams. Eventhough I have the entry requirments for medical school in the UK, my chances in Germany did not seem that high since people with much better grades were getting rejected from medical school so I will repeat them too. I was accually planning on studying chemsitry for a year and then switiching to medicine but as stated I could not even enter university in Germany and the application deadline for the UK was long over. I lived in the middle east for the past couple of years with my parents and there is a medical school here called Oman medical college that I am guaranteed admission to so the plan changed to me starting medicine here, doing my A levels and then going back to Germany next year, to start medicine from year 1 of course . However starting here does not improve my chances for getting into medical school in Germany. So I asked myself the question is it really worth doing medicine here for a year and then dropping out and not getting any credit for it. So other options started to pop into my head such as doing a semester on chinese medicne in China till december and then come back and prepare for my A levels. What do guys suggest I do? Any other ideas are welcome. Things that will give me a lot of expirience while looking good on my personal statement when I apply next year. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey there
I am really sorry to hear that your A levels are not recognized. :(
Why wont they accept it? Havent you passed Test DAF? Do you have to pass a language? Is it ok if you pass a Language at AS level? I did English but It was not that good :(
So competition for German medical school are also very high even with A grades? Its just so sad man. I was thinking about transferring to a german medical school but you pst made my heart sink bad.