Need help, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoryuken17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am applying this Summer, I have some worries... I was a high school drop out (got GED), and I have a misdemeanor from approximately 10 years ago, unsure of what my actual charge was and when I ran a background check it didn't show up.... so I don't know how to approach this either.

Anyways I am an Indiana resident and would like to attend IU. Should I consider EDP? Is there any chance my troubled past would cause a significant decrease in my chances?

GPA: 3.99 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA
MCAT: taking in a month (what would I need for this to be competitive with everything else I have done?)

Clinical:
ED volunteering ~175 hours
Family medicine shadowing: ~30 hours, looking for more as we speak.

Volunteering:
Food pantry ~50 hours
Math and Reading tutoring for adults (HSE seeking): ~100 hours
Volunteer science tutoring: ~100 hours

Research: 2 labs for a total of ~400 hours

TA:
Biology
Chemistry

Should have at least 3 good letters of recommendation.

Leadership positions:
One or two.... nothing too exciting

Thanks to anyone who can help

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to want to hit at least a 30, but the higher the better. If it's the new MCAT I think that equates to around a 508, but I'm not certain. I really don't think schools will care if you dropped out of high school 10 years ago with college GPAs like that. Your ECs are nothing special, but seem fine. The misdemeanor is another story. Even if it was 10 years ago, if it was something really bad it may have a major effect. You need to make sure schools understand that is in your past and that you're a different, more mature person now. Either way you need to find out everything you can about it so you have answers if schools start asking questions about it (assuming you don't address it directly in your application).

I don't know how to find out more about it, I paid for a background check to see what it was, but nothing came up. Can I just say on the secondaries if they ask, "Yes, I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor, but after trying to acquire a background check, nothing presented itself. I believe it was a charge of destruction of property."? Oh, and I was a minor at the time.