Need Help with future plans! unsure of what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IM PGY 2 resident here. Just coming off a hell of a floor month as a senior that shook me up to my core. I enjoyed the first two weeks of the month, but completely ran out of steam the last two weeks.

Initially I was planning on doing the hospitalist gig, which would still be a bit easier (1 week on 1 week off) and dont have to supervise the interns, but still I am not sure if I want to run around all day long like a chicken with its head you know what..

So now at the risk of sounding "lazy" I am looking into a future goal of a fellow ship. a fellowship that has easy hours and would pay decent at the end. A fellowship where I can still moonlight on the side and be able to crack close to 100 K/ year salary (if that possible). ANd than as an attending be able to make 200+K.

I just want to be able to enjoy work, and enjoy my life out side of work. I have come to realize that if I am happy with either of them the other one suffers..

So my question is which IM felloship would provide this opportunity? I was thinking Sleep medicine, or endocrine. What are your opinions

Members don't see this ad.

IM PGY 2 resident here. Just coming off a hell of a floor month as a senior that shook me up to my core. I enjoyed the first two weeks of the month, but completely ran out of steam the last two weeks.

Initially I was planning on doing the hospitalist gig, which would still be a bit easier (1 week on 1 week off) and dont have to supervise the interns, but still I am not sure if I want to run around all day long like a chicken with its head you know what..

So now at the risk of sounding "lazy" I am looking into a future goal of a fellow ship. a fellowship that has easy hours and would pay decent at the end. A fellowship where I can still moonlight on the side and be able to crack close to 100 K/ year salary (if that possible). ANd than as an attending be able to make 200+K.

I just want to be able to enjoy work, and enjoy my life out side of work. I have come to realize that if I am happy with either of them the other one suffers..

So my question is which IM felloship would provide this opportunity? I was thinking Sleep medicine, or endocrine. What are your opinions

Rheum. At my institution, the rheum fellows work 5 half days a week and one half day of journal club. My buddy, who's a fellow, is probably pulling 120k total from moonlighting. Salary after fellowship range from 180 - 250k per year depending on location.