Need help with Loupes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

netsko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to buy a pair of loupes and I need some advice please!
I am leaning towards the orascoptic 3.3x Hires3 loupes NOT the prismatic ones with expanded field (due to cost & weight).
Does anyone use this? The field width is 2.75". It's not the biggest field width, but will it do for the 3.3x?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll tell you from experience that I had a much easier time with 3.3x prismatic than some of my classmates with the traditional galilean lenses. That's just a personal opinion/experience though. Eventually I can see myself wanting a more narrow field, but to be honest it doesn't make that much of a difference that I would end up buying a new pair later on. You may have a slightly faster adjustment time to using them (posture, positioning, etc.) if you go the prismatic route, but it really shouldn't be that huge of a decision (went through the same thing myself, tossing back and forth). I also don't think the extra weight is that big of an issue. Using the 3.3 prismatics with sports frame and endeavour light.

Ultimately, if you like the narrow field and the lighter weight, go that route. My father has that setup and has used it for the past few years. Completely personal preference in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've decided to buy a pair of loupes and I need some advice please!
I am leaning towards the orascoptic 3.3x Hires3 loupes NOT the prismatic ones with expanded field (due to cost & weight).
Does anyone use this? The field width is 2.75". It's not the biggest field width, but will it do for the 3.3x?
Get your money's worth with a 4.3-4.8x prism. I think the 4.3x is $1300. I found the 4.3x to be most similar to DFV's 3.5x EF. Galilean can't give you enough magnification or field of view. If you put these big loupes on sturdy frames and rest the nosepiece on your mask with the straps wrapped snugly around your head, you should be able to comfortable wear them.