Need help with MD schools list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Tuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
3.8 +/- .1 both cGPA + sGPA (science major)
35 +/- 1 MCAT, balanced subscores
(LizzyM is a 72-73)
~2 years of research, one publication (minor, 1st author)
Attended a handful of conferences
150 hours clinical volunteering, few different situations (hospital/hospice)
~20 hours physician shadowing
Some non-clinical volunteering
A couple of interest clubs (mostly fitness-related)
Awards include Dean's List, a bunch of honor societies
A few mentoring positions
Held a small job
Pretty solid LORs
Female, white

I get worried when thinking about applying to top schools - my MCAT is usually a bit below their medians, and my EC's are average at best. I would like to apply to a bunch more target schools than I have included now, but as of now, the list is:

New Jersey Medical School
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
George Washington University SOM
Georgetown University SOM
Feinberg SOM?
Pritzker SOM?
Rush Medical College
Boston University SOM
Tufts University SOM
University of Michigan Medical School
Albert Einstein COM of Yeshiva
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
NYU School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College?
Columbia University College of P&S?
University of Rochester SOM
Case Western Reserve University SOM?
Drexel University COM
Jefferson Medical College of TJ
Temple University SOM
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown U

As you can probably tell, I'm keeping my choices mainly to the east coast (but am eligible for in-state tuition for NJ due to complicated reasons, hence the state schools). Question marks indicate that the schools seem unlikely from my perspective. Also, I'd like to apply to mainly schools in big city surroundings.

Input would be highly appreciated, especially from adcoms (Goro, LizzyM please!!).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hmmm it's not a bad list. You definitely have a lot of top schools on there and coming from someone who applied this past cycle and has a 4.0, 36 and decent ECs, it is a lot harder to get accepted/interviews at those schools than you would think. I think Case, northwestern are smart. U of chicago favors people in the midwest. I'd add Duke and maybe a delete a few of those top schools and add some other more modest schools. Are you actually planning on applying to 20+ schools or is this just a general list that you want smaller?

Reactions: 1 user
hmmm it's not a bad list. You definitely have a lot of top schools on there and coming from someone who applied this past cycle and has a 4.0, 36 and decent ECs, it is a lot harder to get accepted/interviews at those schools than you would think. I think Case, northwestern are smart. U of chicago favors people in the midwest. I'd add Duke and maybe a delete a few of those top schools and add some other more modest schools. Are you actually planning on applying to 20+ schools or is this just a general list that you want smaller?

I was looking at Duke, but I've heard Durham is a pretty small city (see recent edit about wanting big city surroundings), on the boring side. Yeah, I'm looking to apply to 15+ schools. I'm really interested in applying to a lot of targets, but as I've said, it seems like most schools are way above or way below my numbers, so finding a match is pretty difficult to do in my situation.

How did admissions go for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at Duke, but I've heard Durham is a pretty small city (see recent edit about wanting big city surroundings), on the boring side. Yeah, I'm looking to apply to 15+ schools. I'm really interested in applying to a lot of targets, but as I've said, it seems like most schools are way above or way below my numbers, so finding a match is pretty difficult to do in my situation.
Durham is awesome and definitely not boring! Durham is a small city but it is a city and Raleigh is 20 mins away! Just something to look in to. I was in a similar situation when I applied last year. It's hard because some of the low/middle-tier MD schools don't take you as a serious candidate because your numbers are high and they don't think you will go to their school if they interview you and accept you but the top schools are hard to get into no matter what. Good luck!!! Come back with a final list!

I think you're golden.

ALL NJ schools

Feinberg SOM
Rush Medical College
Boston University SOM
Tufts University SOM
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
NYU School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Columbia University College of P&S?
Case Western Reserve University SOM?
Drexel University COM
Temple University SOM
Hofstra
Va Tech
U Miami
Emory
Duke
SUNY Downstate or Stony Brook
U VM
U WV (maybe)

Reactions: 1 user
Not planning on applying to Cooper since I don't want to live in Camden, but the other ideas are helpful, thanks!

What do you guys think is a fair amount of reasonable/target/reach schools that I should apply to?

Updated list:

New Jersey Medical School
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Feinberg SOM
Rush Medical College
Emory University SOM
Duke University SOM
Boston University SOM
Tufts University SOM
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
NYU School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
Case Western Reserve University SOM
Drexel University COM
Temple University SOM

I'm starting to think this list has become top-heavy with my stats. Also, why the recommendation for the SUNYs? They accept primarily NY students.