Need help with OAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeneaJ17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior biology major, and I've decided to pursue Optometry. I am really nervous about taking the OAT because I am unsure on what to study. I don't know which books are best, and I don't want to overwhelm myself with all of the test prep material. Any advice on a study plan or what books REALLY give you the feel of the OAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost anything you learned in gen bio, gen Chem and ochem can show up on the sciences section. The reading comprehension is very straight forward. Physics is a mix of conceptual questions and fairly straight forward calculations if you know the equation. The quantitative reasoning can be tricky if you are not brushed up on your math but there is a basic calculator on the screen.

There are several books but any of the oat, mcat, dat books will give it out a pretty good review of the material. As far as giving a feel of the test, the kaplan oat book has a practice test. You can also find a test on the Ada website, although the RC is shortened.

I am a junior biology major, and I've decided to pursue Optometry. I am really nervous about taking the OAT because I am unsure on what to study. I don't know which books are best, and I don't want to overwhelm myself with all of the test prep material. Any advice on a study plan or what books REALLY give you the feel of the OAT.
Don't be nervous I was super nervous as well but the OAT isn't that bad. I would definitely go to coursesaver.com. Chad makes amazing videos that focus strictly on the OAT. The Kaplan Blue Book is okay if you like studying on your own. A lot of people do the OAT destroyer and it is useful but is way more harder than the actual OAT. My best advice would be to take as many practice tests as you can. I didn't the first time I took it and got worn down by the end of it. Taking 5-7 practice tests after the actual OAT I felt fine and kept my stamina and focus on all the sections. Just practice as many problems as you can.