Need help with plan!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csully1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Users,
My name is Coleman Sullivan. I'm currently in school and working on getting my BA in Biology. I'm trying to plan out what I need to get done or accomplished so I can get into Texas A&M for my Masters in Veterinarian Science. I'm looking to find out what will give me my best chance to getting in. For instance what classes should I take, what kinda volunteer stuff should i do, etc.
Thank you for reading and i hope you guys can help me :)

Members don't see this ad.

As for classes, look on their website for all required classes - i.e. Bio 1 and 2, Gen chem 1 & 2, Organic chem 1&2, Physics 1&2, Biochem, genetics tend to be most common pre-req among most vet schools, some ask for microbio or animal nutrition, I don't know specifics for Texas A&M because its not one I am looking at. Any high level Bio/Chem/Physics/Animal-related courses is good besides that

Get as much VARIED experience as possible - I did research in zoos, labs and behavioral wildlife in Sri lanka, worked in zoos, vet office and emergency vet office. Try to get small, large (my big lacking area), exotics, and research or as much as you can - try to show more than just small animal.

Study up on GRE- much school really take it seriously, some not at all. Again- not sure what A&M's admission formula is

All depends.

What animal experiences do you have? How about veterinaryexperience? How good are your grades? Did you take the GRE?

Are you aware that a MS in veterinary science is not the same as a DVM? Or were you planning on applying to vet school after you get your masters?

As for classes, look on their website for all required classes - i.e. Bio 1 and 2, Gen chem 1 & 2, Organic chem 1&2, Physics 1&2, Biochem, genetics tend to be most common pre-req among most vet schools, some ask for microbio or animal nutrition, I don't know specifics for Texas A&M because its not one I am looking at. Any high level Bio/Chem/Physics/Animal-related courses is good besides that

Get as much VARIED experience as possible - I did research in zoos, labs and behavioral wildlife in Sri lanka, worked in zoos, vet office and emergency vet office. Try to get small, large (my big lacking area), exotics, and research or as much as you can - try to show more than just small animal.

Study up on GRE- much school really take it seriously, some not at all. Again- not sure what A&M's admission formula is

Texas A&M does require Animal Nutrition/Feeding. They also require Speech and Technical Writing courses. (This is for the DVM program, I think, not sure about Master's)