Need help with Pre-Med Class Direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RT19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay i'm new here i'm 23 currently, heres my story, I have a bachelors in Radiologic sciences (Radiologic technologist) I Currently work in Xray ( only about a years experience) and MRI (a few months) as i just got the bachelors and X-ray came via a certificate program pre- bachelors a year ago.
So i recently decided i wanted to attend medical school the last few semesters so i just retook precal and chemistry which i did horrible in my freshman year and made A's in both classes the second time around

Giving me a 3.28 cgpa without those grades factored in as replacement grades (higher if you factor them in as replacement grades) hopefully to raise as i continue to acquire pre-reqs
Ill be taking at least Chem-2 this summer coming up
here are my options that i need direction and help with:

1) take mcat in december 2014 to avoid the new 2015 version, downside will only have orgo 1 and physics 1 under my belt at the time

2)take chem2 this summer at my current 4 year university,
then orgo-1 and physics 1 in the fall, and
spring take physics 2 and orgo 2 and
mcat in summer and apply late summer barring a good mcat score

3) Take both chem 2 and physics-1 in summer at a community college,
orgo-1 and physics-2 in fall at 4 year university,
Orgo 2 only in spring and mcat prep course
mcat in summer then apply if score is adequate

My only worry is that i won't have biochemistry in time for the new 2015 MCAT, which worries me will i be alright without it? I could always just sit in on a biochem class possibly the spring before mcat or self study
Which above option seems the best route?

Members don't see this ad.

Why can't you, if you're in a rush, take Physics 1 and Chemistry 2 in the summer at your 4 year university? They are likely to be in two different summer sessions. I find that Orgo 2 is light on the MCAT and you can review it your self after getting the hang of it from orgo 1. This way you can avoid MCAT 2015.

Last edited:
Take your time, take the 2015 version, it is really not going to be that bad. If anything it should be easier to get a higher score for the first year on the new one since at this point people have study methods and prep companies have trained techniques to perfection on the current model. I think the bar will be reset a little bit for the new one (at least for a while until people start mining how to do perfectly on it). Add that fact to the fact that you wont have all of the recommended classes yet. It just seems better to take the new one and give yourself time.

As it is now you essentially need biochem anyways to do well on some bio questions. There is not anything inherently different about biochem, it is really just a mix of cell bio and inorganic chemistry (gen chem) - with a twist.

Members don't see this ad :)
well the Physics 1 and chem 2 classes overlap in their time slots so thats why i was considering a community college for these two classes only, then i would return to the 4 year in the fall semester
So i should or shouldn't wait to take the mcat if i wont have bio chem? or self study or sit in on a class in the spring?

Its like either way you wont have all of the courses recommended for the MCAT. I would say you absolutely need all of those courses for the MCAT (heck biochem doesnt even hurt on the current MCAT) and a lot of schools are picking up biochem as a requirement, so I would definitely take it. But at the same time, you also need those other courses to apply and for the MCAT. So what to do? I dont know your particular situation or age, but what is saying that you dont take more time and have all of the courses under your belt? Maybe instead of bum rushing through it and trying to get like 20 boxes checked all at once, maybe lengthen your time in school?
Just a little insight:
I decided on medicine in what was supposed to be my last semester of college. I had good grades and more than enough credits to graduate. But because I decided on doing the doctor thing, I knew there were going to be more classes and the MCAT that I would need to do. I initially tried to cram all of my courses and the MCAT in during a Jan term, that spring, and then the summer (after I was supposed to graduate). It basically was not working, I was running out of money, stress was through the roof, grades were not solid. I made the hard decision to postpone graduation, watch all my friends leave, all so I could take the courses I need and give me solid time to study for the MCAT. It was a very good decision. In my 5th year I did well in those courses, did well enough on the MCAT, and it gave me time to get more ECs. So then at the end of my 5th year I was going to apply. But even then I did not have my stuff together. I was rushing to get letters together, I was rushing to get more ECs to make me competitive, and I was moving and getting married on top of that. I decided to postpone another year.... That was the best decision I have made. Now finally after several years of preparing, I am 100% ready - not only in my application (ECs are looking really really good and grades are solid and all courses done), but also just in life. I am a significantly more mature person who has a greater understanding of why I am being called into the field. I will be applying this year at age 24, 2 years after what was supposed to be my graduation.

So long story short, sometimes it feels like you need/want to just bust through it and get in and get that part of life started, and I totally respect that. But sometimes you have to just take a step back and ask yourself, am I forcing this to happen this way? I mean if you can get it to work and think that you will be able to get all the classes you need, as well as do well on the MCAT, and have solid ECs, then I say push through the pain and figure out this crazy schedule. Otherwise, personally, I would suggest be patient and maybe take some extra time. This process is absolutely a marathon, not a sprint.