NEED HELP WITH SCIENCE GPA ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AVERAGEGUY2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just calculated my Science GPA and it comes to about a 2.85. I have Mostly's B's and C's in my science classes with a couple of A's in physics and Intro bio. On the other hand, my overall GPA is close to a 3.7 but I am scared that this is not enough for medical school. I plan on taking the new MCAT in May, but will I still get rejected right off the bat because of my low science GPA? How should I go about raising this sGPA and until when do MCAT schools see your GPA? If I take courses in Fall 2015 will that still count towards my GPA? Any and all advice is appreciated..

Members don't see this ad.

I just calculated my Science GPA and it comes to about a 2.85. I have Mostly's B's and C's in my science classes with a couple of A's in physics and Intro bio. On the other hand, my overall GPA is close to a 3.7 but I am scared that this is not enough for medical school. I plan on taking the new MCAT in May, but will I still get rejected right off the bat because of my low science GPA? How should I go about raising this sGPA and until when do MCAT schools see your GPA? If I take courses in Fall 2015 will that still count towards my GPA? Any and all advice is appreciated..
Your low BCPM GPA is definitely an issue that will be looked on in a negative light. I strongly suggest you consider another year, at least, of straight-A science/math coursework, ideally in med school-like subjects, BEFORE YOU APPLY. Any coursework taken after one submits an AMCAS application and gets transcripts verified will not cause the application GPAs to be updated. If one applies through TMDSAS or AACOMAS (DO), however, they will be updated during the course of the cycle. You might consider using one of the application GPA calculators to see what a year of high grades could do for your numbers.

If you want to apply M.D., you're gonna need another year at least of straight A BCPM work. Most likely you'll need a year and a half or two years to boost it all the way to a 3.5, which is probably the minimum science GPA you want in order to apply.

For reference, I wanted to apply my junior year but my sGPA was like a 3.2 or something. It took me a whole year and 8 science courses to boost it to a 3.5-3.6 ish.

I think it would be smarter to go the D.O. route where you can replace your grades by retaking courses. This would allow you to boost your GPA way faster.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Concur. Retake all F/D/C science coursework. You need to fix the sGPA before you think about the MCAT.

I think it would be smarter to go the D.O. route where you can replace your grades by retaking courses. This would allow you to boost your GPA way faster.[/QUOTE]

That would probably get you auto-rejected at most MD schools. I mean, think about it: the first two years of medical school are almost nothing but science. If you were looking at applicants to accept, would you choose one that had not yet demonstrated an ability to do well in science courses? That's not to say that you for sure would not get into an MD program, because you might. With a good MCAT score (especially the science portions), you could probably still get into a DO school. But it's a huge risk.

You can take a couple of practice MCATs and see where you stand roughly, but I doubt you'll be able to do very well right now, given your science history and the fact that you're giving yourself basically zero time specifically dedicated to MCAT study. Most guys that do really well take an entire summer to study for it.

Unfortunately, without having taken the MCAT, I cannot recommend to you whether to go the DO route or MD route. Honestly, to avoid wasting your time, I would not retake any of your previous coursework yet. Just plan a bunch of sciences for the Fall and Spring (but not too many that it's too challenging for you), and make straight-A's. You could also go ahead and take the MCAT this summer, perhaps in August, and just not apply until next year. That way you would both get the benefit of an entire 3-month dedicated study period, and the ability to apply very early in the process. I would recommend the early August MCAT, prior to your fall classes starting.

With taking the MCAT this summer, you can know what your options are, and better plan out your next year. If you do poorly, you can aim for a DO program and retake all of your C/D/F coursework. If you do excellent, you can continue pressing on with advanced sciences coursework to raise your science GPA, and show an upward trend for MD schools.

Don't worry about losing the year, it's becoming really popular to take a "gap year" prior to medical school anyway.

Almost 95% likely DO is your only option. Make use of the grade replacement policy to get the sGPA up. Mathematically, getting the sGPA up by MD standards (i.e., factoring all grades ever gotten) is near impossible at this point.

This was the biggest problem with my application as well. I barely scraped past 3.0 on the sGPA but did make it in on my first attempt. I got a lot of secondary applications and a lot of outright rejected letters straight from the get-go.

My backup plan was to prioritize retakes based on how much they would change the sGPA. I had a course worth 5 credit hours I took C in, for example. This would've been the first thing I registered to retake since no other course could have made a bigger difference.

In any case, don't even waste your time applying to MD programs

Almost 95% likely DO is your only option. Make use of the grade replacement policy to get the sGPA up. Mathematically, getting the sGPA up by MD standards (i.e., factoring all grades ever gotten) is near impossible at this point.

Given that he has a 3.7 overall GPA, I don't think he's taken many science courses. Doubling his science credits, with all A's in the courses to follow, would give him a 3.4 science GPA. That's totally reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
Given that he has a 3.7 overall GPA, I don't think he's taken many science courses. Doubling his science credits, with all A's in the courses to follow, would give him a 3.4 science GPA. That's totally reasonable.
In that assumption lies the problem. No, that is not reasonable at all. There is no reason for anyone to believe right now that OP is capable of such a turnaround. "Other people have done it" doesn't suffice here. SDN has a habit of painting irresponsibly rosy pictures with assumptions of straight A after someone's demonstrated difficulty in handling science coursework. Drastic measures need to be taken for a turnaround, and even then, not all turnarounds are successful. Hence my current evaluation, subject to change with more data after another semester from OP.

In that assumption lies the problem. No, that is not reasonable at all. There is no reason for anyone to believe right now that OP is capable of such a turnaround. "Other people have done it" doesn't suffice here. SDN has a habit of painting irresponsibly rosy pictures with assumptions of straight A after someone's demonstrated difficulty in handling science coursework. Drastic measures need to be taken for a turnaround, and even then, not all turnarounds are successful. Hence my current evaluation, subject to change with more data after another semester from OP.

I was simple addressing this claim of yours, which is plainly factually incorrect: "Mathematically, getting the sGPA up by MD standards (i.e., factoring all grades ever gotten) is near impossible at this point."

Just lay out the facts for OP; don't make assumptions about him based on very limited information. I told him what is required, which is an equivalent number of straight-A science credits. He can determine whether or not that is doable for him. A 3.7 overall and 2.85 science isn't exactly the work of a hopeless bum.

Reactions: 1 users
I was simple addressing this claim of yours, which is plainly factually incorrect: "Mathematically, getting the sGPA up by MD standards (i.e., factoring all grades ever gotten) is near impossible at this point."

Just lay out the facts for OP; don't make assumptions about him based on very limited information. I told him what is required, which is an equivalent number of straight-A science credits. He can determine whether or not that is doable for him. A 3.7 overall and 2.85 science isn't exactly the work of a hopeless bum.
Ok fair

I really appreciate all the help everyone. As I said I am currently planning on taking the MCAT on May 22, from the practice tests I have been taking I have been scoring in the 503-507 area. I firmly believe that I can build that up to a 510 if I study through August. That being said, do you think it would look okay for me to just cram down science courses at my local community college? I would takes courses such as Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology, Anatomy, Astronomy and several other courses I have planned out to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.3+. I am sure that would also help my oGPA rise up closer to a 4.0. I am however not sure how this would look to medical schools. It's either that or going to an SMP somewhere? My EC's include over 500 hours of volunteering in a Hospital and over 150 hours of shadowing a physician. I also hold about 2 research positions with one of them being under the chief of nephrology at a top 25 school. What do you recommend?

Can I contact you to speak in private? If so what is the best medium to do that?

I really appreciate all the help everyone. As I said I am currently planning on taking the MCAT on May 22, from the practice tests I have been taking I have been scoring in the 503-507 area. I firmly believe that I can build that up to a 510 if I study through August. That being said, do you think it would look okay for me to just cram down science courses at my local community college? I would takes courses such as Microbiology, Physiology, Zoology, Anatomy, Astronomy and several other courses I have planned out to raise my science GPA to at least a 3.3+. I am sure that would also help my oGPA rise up closer to a 4.0. I am however not sure how this would look to medical schools. It's either that or going to an SMP somewhere? My EC's include over 500 hours of volunteering in a Hospital and over 150 hours of shadowing a physician. I also hold about 2 research positions with one of them being under the chief of nephrology at a top 25 school. What do you recommend?

Taking a bunch of fluff to raise your GPA is a bad idea and a waste of time. Retake the courses you did poorly in and plan to go the DO route.

What if I want to do the MD route? Is that really so out of reach for me?

Taking a bunch of fluff to raise your GPA is a bad idea and a waste of time. Retake the courses you did poorly in and plan to go the DO route.
Though stuff like astronomy and zoology might be seen as fluff, most low- and mid-tier med schools will accept the other science courses he listed from CCs as legitimate science classes. I wouldn't say classes at CCs is a waste of time.

Though stuff like astronomy and zoology might be seen as fluff, most low- and mid-tier med schools will accept the other science courses he listed from CCs as legitimate science classes. I wouldn't say classes at CCs is a waste of time.

I don't know, you might be right. But my inclination is to think that if they see that he did poorly in his core classes and then took a bunch of fluff, he won't make it in. 507 is equivalent to a 30/31 now, correct?

Not to intrude here, but wondering. Is a 3.3 science GPA (with a higher overall GPA obviously) at all competitive for any MD schools?