Need help with SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Freud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am new to this thread and was hoping that someone can help me out. I am currently a school psychologist and decided to go back to school for my Psyd in September. I am in the process of submitting my applications to several schools in NYC/NJ. Is there someone here that would be so kind as to provide me with some feedback on my statement of purpose? I am not feeling very confident about it and need some unbiased feedback from strangers :) I would really appreciate your help. I can PM my SOP to you.
Some side information: undergrad GPA 3.9, grad GPA 3.9, GRE verbal 155, quant 154, written 4.0, psych 720. Thanks so much11

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I am new to this thread and was hoping that someone can help me out. I am currently a school psychologist and decided to go back to school for my Psyd in September. I am in the process of submitting my applications to several schools in NYC/NJ. Is there someone here that would be so kind as to provide me with some feedback on my statement of purpose? I am not feeling very confident about it and need some unbiased feedback from strangers :) I would really appreciate your help. I can PM my SOP to you.
Some side information: undergrad GPA 3.9, grad GPA 3.9, GRE verbal 155, quant 154, written 4.0, psych 720. Thanks so much11

Hey Ms. Freud (that's a pretty serious name you've got there :cool:...it will surely turn off those SDN behaviorists...and there are a lot of them out there),

So I'm suspecting you're not getting feedback for two reasons:

1) SDNers who may be able to provide viable feedback on a SOP are probably too busy and it has been recommended in the past to contact someone at your alma mater or your recommenders to review your SOP. Unbiased feedback from strangers is a coveted request on SDN.

2) In your posting you identified yourself as a "school psychologist," however, the term psychologist is protected by most states and reserved for those who have earned a EdD, PsyD or PhD. For New York State, practice as a school psychologist in any other setting (besides a school) is considered illegal, unless licensed as a psychologist. Search past threads like this one http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/apa-model-act-on-school-psychologist-title.704188/ which will familiarize you with the argument (don't read for the conclusions, read for the perspectives)...as most school psychologists who are masters level in NYC/NJ are content with their titles, and you may already know it strikes a nerve of those who have actually gone through the rigorous doctoral training to become a "psychologist." I personally feel it is more than semantics and unfair to the consumers who believe they are actually getting the services of a doctoral level psychologist (at least in NY). When you delve deeply into the doctoral-level training you will be able to differentiate between the two professions.

In the interest of encouraging you towards your goal, be aware of this when writing your SOP and interviewing for doctoral programs. Do not misrepresent yourself and if you are a licensed masters-level 'school psychologist' per NY or NJ state, explicitly so say and be aware that you may currently be in the 'out-group' of the broader profession, but once savvy with the terminology, you will be in the in-group. I am not disparaging your current position in any way (as a parent & clinician in NYC, I value the positions that school counselors or masters level school 'psychologists' take on), but be clear about what you do now and the reasons why you want to become more specialized at the doctoral level.

Hope this helps in some way. :luck:

Cheetah girl,
Thank you for your response. I do hope the name I chose is not discouraging others to respond, as it is not necessarily pointing to my own orientation, just someone who made important contributions to the field of psychology. However, I do see how it may be misunderstood. I just couldn't think of a clever name!
As for the ongoing debate about masters level clinicians calling themselves school psychologists, I am well aware of it. But I do reside in ny and I did obtain my masters and advanced certificate in school psychology. I can therefore legally call myself a school psychologist and if I would not have mentioned that fact here then I certainly would be misrepresenting myself. I do feel that my training was not nearly comparable to that offered by psyd/phd and that is precisely why I am choosing to go back to school. I would absolutely not argue that I have enough training to be licensed (as some other states do allow licensure with just a masters degree and supervision hours). I am seeking that proper training and I did specify this in my SOP.
I did have previous professors read and provide feedback but I was looking for additional feedback through this forum. Again, thank you for taking the time out to respond and I do sincerely hope that I have not received responses because of your first reason, not the second (or my alias for that matter :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good. PM me your SOP and I'll see if I can quickly provide some feedback before I get super busy this week (but after I add "doi" #s to my 100+ dissertation references. :wtf:The clerical stuff that goes into this job is my least favorite.). I'm clinical, not school, but I can give my unique perspective. Like I said, I have a ton of respect for you folks b/c NY kids are diverse and challenging (at least in NYC) and I commend your efforts to go forward after achieving what some consider a terminal masters. ;)

BTW: I like your alias b/c I'm a big fan of Anna Freud. :cool:

Hi I'm an International student from Costa Rica; I'm going to apply to Baylor’s PsyD program. I have a Bachelor’s degree in psychology and criminology, lots of volunteer experience but very little research experience and no publications. Schools in Costa Rica don't require SOP plus it takes twice the effort for me to write in english, so I feel like I kind of need a dummies guide to do this, I feel really lost and need all the help I can get. If someone could give me starting pointers and them maybe read my SOP to give some feedback I would really appreciate it.