Need help with the application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heifetz

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some general questions about the application process and yes I know my questions might seem dumb but they are legitimate. I graduated in 98' so i dont have anyone to talk to about the application process but this is what I understand so far with a little research.

First I need to complete my AMCAS application form. And then on July 1 or whenever I complete it they will transmit my application to the schools I select. Is this correct?

Next if the schools are interested they will send you a secondary application with some additional essays. Complete those and send them back and then wait to see if they want to interview you. Is this right?

What about LOR. Should I have my teachers right out 1 recommendation and then just re-address it to the different schools I apply? Do the teachers mail the letters directly to the schools or thru me?

What am I leaving out? Sorry I am so clueless and help/advise is greatly appreciated!

Sorry but I didn't plan on scoring well enough to apply but I did:clap: . You see I took the MCAT last April 2002 and scored poorly and I felt the same way this April but it turned out pretty good. Thanks for any and all advise i really aprreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much have it down...

the only exception that I know of for the secondary before interview thing is vanderbilt... i think that was the one (this year they are offering interviews before you complete a secondary, after which, they require a secondary to be filled out).

not all secondaries have essays, some of them are just "what's your name.. gimme 65 dollas".

as for recommendations, yes. Your profs need to right 1 recommendation and then send it out to each individual school. It is best if you provide them with everything they need (preaddressed envelopes, etc.)

u forgot the agony of waiting forever to hear anything from skools.

make sure u apply to a wide range of schools, including reaches! u never kno!

and congrats on the MCAT... good luck in the process.. i'm starting this thing this year too.

heifetz,

Welcome to SDN... you now have a billion people to talk to about the application process!

you have the basic outline of the application process... first and foremost turn in your amcas application asap. this involves filling it out online, sending them your transcripts and also some some money... once amcas processes your app, they will forward your app to all the schools that you designated.

if the schools that you sent your primary app to are interested in you they will offer you a secondary application which includes, but is not limited to some essays, your LORs and an application fee.

if the school still likes you then you will be offered an interview...

then you get in and do the happy dance from Perfect Stangers.

With respect to LORs and who they should be addressed to, i recommend that you go to your closest pre-health advising office and see if the have a letter holding service that will collect all your letters and submit them to different schools at your request...

the seach function is down, but i will try and find my previous thread about the letter holding service at my school...

hope this helps and hit me if there is anything else i can do!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]