Need Honest Advice, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Lulu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Junior year, Hispanic residing in Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to improve your GPAs to be competitive. An 85% MCAT will not come close to doing the job. Plus that is far easier said than done. It is the 85th percentile for a reason. Is it possible for you to get into an MD school? Sure. Are the odds against you? Yes. Your GPAs are simply too low. Why are you against going DO?

If you can manage a 35+ MCAT, I bet you would definitely get in MD. Your URM status is a great hook and will get you in, as long as you can mitigate that dreadful GPA with a ridiculous MCAT. However, you can't just plan on doing well...like the poster above said, getting an 85 percentile score on the MCAT is difficult enough, try getting 95%+...

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite your URM status, no medical school will do you any favors by admitting you when you have demonstrated that so far, you can't survive a medical school curriculum. You need to ace everything from now on...no B's. You need A's.

You need to improve your GPAs to be competitive. An 85% MCAT will not come close to doing the job. Plus that is far easier said than done. It is the 85th percentile for a reason. Is it possible for you to get into an MD school? Sure. Are the odds against you? Yes. Your GPAs are simply too low. Why are you against going DO?

Given the coursework it is provided, it seems unlikely that you will be able to ascertain a high MCAT score without months of study, especially given the new MCAT (which includes Biochemistry, a course you have failed).

Given your stats and the likelihood of you doing well on the MCAT (based on your prior coursework in testable subjects), your outcomes are very low for MD.

I think another big problem is that you changed answers on an exam and asked for a regrade in your biochem class. Did you receive an institutional action (IA) for this? I have a feeling that you did since they gave you an F in the course.

Biochemistry course 3 units F (enrolled, changed my answers after an exam and asked for a regrade, punishment is a failing grade in the class but will not go on my record).

Sounds like cheating, which sounds like an IA. A cheating IA will keep you out of med school. Period. Also, getting an F your jr year in a prereq is horrible.

-I'm trying to get a perfect score on the MCAT.

If I were to get a high MCAT score (top85%) do you think it would still be worth applying

You'd need a brutally high MCAT score with your current GPA. Also, as other people have pointed out, looking at your academic performance there really isn't any reason to think you'll score that high...

Assuming no IA, at a minimum, I think you'll need a solid year of excellent academic performance on your transcript, including first-time upper-level Bio and Biochem to show that you have what it takes to survive the intense, science-heavy curriculum of a med school. Applying summer 2015 would be premature. Your transcript right now sends up red flags, to my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have valuable experiences and a unique background that will set you apart in the application process, but you should really do a post bac program to remedy your low science grades. Things do happen, and medical schools will understand, but that won't excuse you from having a low GPA. You also need to do very well on the MCAT.