Need Honest Assessment, Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer_referee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an individual of many passions, too many in my case and it has led me to where I am today. I have no regrets for the actions/paths I have taken, but ultimately every decision I have made has led me to this...attempting to get into medical school.

Here's my story...

I am current 29 years old, I tried for medical school after I graduated with my BS in Biology in 2006 and needless to say I didn't get an interview, to low of a gpa/mcat score. Overall GPA:2.98

After that I decided that I would continue my education and go for a MS in Biology, so from 2006-2008, I was in the master's program, completed all required coursework, and thesis with an overall GPA:3.75, however I did not pass my comprehensive exams, therefore could not complete the master's program. (For clarification, it was not an academic dismissal, I could go back and finish but I would have to repeat everything, including the classes I have already taken, at the time this was not possible, nor is it for me today).

In the last month before I left school, I got offered a fulltime job, which is where I have been working now for the past 4 years as an aquatic biologist. During this time I have had exposure to IT in the form of application development (creating application specific to my work function). To make a long story short I had to split my time between the biology and programming (although they are related).

Since the master's degree attempt, I have tried to rehabilitate my academic image. I have obtained my certification as both an EMT and CNA, and currently volunteer as a medic for a local non-profit. I have also been taken courses towards the completion of a certificate in IT (more for work knowledge than actual need), but nonetheless I should finish that degree this fall. Since 2008, I have maintained a 4.0 in all my course work, while working full-time. I do plan on re-taking a few undergrad courses at the local CC, mainly physics and chemistry. After this I will study and take the MCAT and hope to get something above a 30.

I will try to apply for either this cycle or the following. After that, I think I might be getting too old.

I can get letter of recs from my EMS Medical Director, and current prof's (mostly IT at this point).

My questions are:

1) Have I rehabbed my resume enough to be seriously considered for medical school? I think I have been trying to convince myself not to the try because of my mishap, but this little bug in my brain keeps pulling me in, telling me I least need to try.

2) Should I try to explain what happen in my personal statement or let them ask, assuming I get that far

3) Any other suggestions on what I should do/try...please be honest but professional

Thanks in advance,

Soccer Ref

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'll ever be too old. My friend just entered his first year and he's 38/39. Can I ask what your GPA is now?

I have read that some med schools expect you to finish your master's program before you begin med school. Not sure if that's true for them all, but it will send a no-so-good message that you didn't finish.

It's good that you are still focused on getting an MD, but you'll have to prove that you're willing to keep it going until the very end. 4 years of MS, then 1 of residency, plus internship, plus fellowship, plus ??? = a very, very long time. Your age isn't the factor, but are you (emotionally, academically, and financially) able to finish?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'll ever be too old. My friend just entered his first year and he's 38/39. Can I ask what your GPA is now?

I haven't calculated my GPA with all my course work combined, but my overall undergad at the the end of '06 was 2.98, and all the undergrad coursework since then to present (all I.T.), I have maintained a 4.0, my EMS and CNA certificate were non-credit coursework but I had an 98 and 100 average respectively in those classes as well.

Since you will be re-taking classes, your best chances would probably be with DO schools, since they do grade replacement, and tend to look at applicants more holistically (although that is changing at some MD schools)

I have read that some med schools expect you to finish your master's program before you begin med school. Not sure if that's true for them all, but it will send a no-so-good message that you didn't finish.

It's good that you are still focused on getting an MD, but you'll have to prove that you're willing to keep it going until the very end. 4 years of MS, then 1 of residency, plus internship, plus fellowship, plus ??? = a very, very long time. Your age isn't the factor, but are you (emotionally, academically, and financially) able to finish?

All I can say is that me not finishing the master's wasn't for lack of trying. At the time I was just woefully unprepared. There's more to it, my grad advisor kinda threw me to the wolves,but that's a long story. I could finish, but I would have to start from scratch, I don't have time or money for that, I'm trying to move forward not go backwards. The reason I'm want to do this now is because I have the motivation and time. I don't have a family and I think my finances would be manageable at this point. I would consider HPSP, but the older I get, the harder that becomes.

Should I write about it in my personal statement ( the master's that is), or should I let them ask and be prepared to answer that question, again assuming I get that far.

Since you will be re-taking classes, your best chances would probably be with DO schools, since they do grade replacement, and tend to look at applicants more holistically (although that is changing at some MD schools)

I have nothing against DO schools, but there's only one in-state, and I don't know any DO's at the moment to shadow let alone get a rec letter from