Need info about Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shjaffri

Mdresident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend me with useful information about Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, NY residency program.

You may PM me or email me at [email protected] to share your ideas. I would like to know how is the residency program for Jacobi Medical Center, anyone who is ex-resident or current resident might share his/her point of view.

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Generally I hear the place sucks. I have no knowledge first hand of this.

Be prepared to draw your own labs and wheel your patients around to their tests. Be prepared for your nurses to take their mandatory union break of 15 minutes of every hour.

You need to be a little more specific as to which residency you're talking about, because a lot of Jacobi's residencies split time between Jacobi (public hospital), Montefiore (private hospital). The medicine and peds programs do not.

I'm there as an resident and I woulld say that Pir8 is sorely misinformed. I've only spent time in the ED and Medicine and ICU floors, and I only draw labs/put in IV's on the trauma patients that come in and need intervention right away. True, the hospital does not have as many nurses/transport as some of the cushier hospitals in Manhattan, but things will get done if you put in orders, especially once you get to know the nurses and do not act like a jerk. You see a lot of uninsured/recent immigrants/homeless and there are more social admits than normal, but you deal less with private patients and private docs which is nice. The area is safe and tree lined and not the "Bronx" that most people have heard of, since it's farther up north and almost near Westchester.

While the nurses are unionized, the residents are unionized as well. Which means you get paid 55K per year and get a ton of nice benefits. They are pretty strict on work hour rules as well since it's a government hospital.

I am glad to hear that what I had been told was incorrect.

Good info guys, I am interested in IM residency program, however I need to do further research about this location and programs.