Need Input!! NYU vs. Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geege

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I desperately need help deciding between NYU and Temple! I loved both schools! I am a PA resident, so Temple would be about 140,000 cheaper over the span of 4 years. BUT... I LOVE NYC!!! Both schools have a great curriculum. I want to specialize in ortho, so which would be more conducive to pursuing post doc? I know Temple has a smaller class size, but it's in Philly.. a bad part at that!! Does either school have a better program in your opinion? I want a school that has it all and can offer me the best of everything! I have to put down deposits soon, so I need help ASAP!! Thanks in advance! :)

Also, what are your thoughts on Detroit Mercy? I am not really considering it, but I haven't heard many people talk about it on the forums, so I'm curious what the consensus on that school is.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I desperately need help deciding between NYU and Temple! I loved both schools! I am a PA resident, so Temple would be about 140,000 cheaper over the span of 4 years. BUT... I LOVE NYC!!! Both schools have a great curriculum. I want to specialize in ortho, so which would be more conducive to pursuing post doc? I know Temple has a smaller class size, but it's in Philly.. a bad part at that!! Does either school have a better program in your opinion? I want a school that has it all and can offer me the best of everything! I have to put down deposits soon, so I need help ASAP!! Thanks in advance! :)

Also, what are your thoughts on Detroit Mercy? I am not really considering it, but I haven't heard many people talk about it on the forums, so I'm curious what the consensus on that school is.

Lol if you don't like temple's location... you definately won't like detroit's either. NYU give's you the best environment... but its the one students hate the most. Plus the 5 million students they let in each year won't make your specializing chances any better... I'd assume its pretty easy to get top 25% in the class with so many people, but also the downside with so many people it'd probably be hard to get top 5%

"Temple would be about 140,000 cheaper over the span of 4 years."
There you go, you should choose temple because of much much much less expensive tuition. Do you know how many years you will have to work to pay back that 140k ? Probably at least 3 years. :rolleyes:
If you love NYC, you will still have a chance to practice in New York after graduating from Temple. :cool:
Finally, it's your call. Congrats to you ! :thumbup:

Lol if you don't like temple's location... you definately won't like detroit's either. NYU give's you the best environment... but its the one students hate the most. Plus the 5 million students they let in each year won't make your specializing chances any better... I'd assume its pretty easy to get top 25% in the class with so many people, but also the downside with so many people it'd probably be hard to get top 5%

I RESENT THAT COMMENT +pissed+

But seriously, Temple vs NY = no brainer, temple 100%. Smaller class size, less expensive, "should" have brand new clink within the next 2 years with everything being digital, and the school does have an ortho program that..... gave me the hint they like to accept their own graduates into it

As far as detroit goes, Mercy has its own campus right in the heart of detroit. The location is "better" than temples, but don't count on it much, its still not an area you want to take a late-night walk. The campus is steel fenced with gated doors (this should give you an idea), and its got security guards driving around its campus with smart cars. Its kinda cool, most of the security guards are pretty big dudes, so its funny seeing a big guy in a smart car. There is no public transportation in Detroit (welllll there is, but we michiganders don't belineve in such things, we believe every person should own a car.... car pooling? no thanks), so pretty much everyone drives, and the campus has a HUGE parking lot, its free. Out of the 5 interviews I attended, I felt that Mercy was the most technologically advanced school I had seen, just an example, they got 10 ceric machines floating around the campus clinic. I felt it was a very clinically strong school, and they also have an ortho program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what if it was both OOS tuition...then which would you chose?
Temple. I think I liked it better. I liked NYU, too, but for me, Temple just felt right. I just don't want to look back on my life and regret not having the NYC experience.

Temple. I think I liked it better. I liked NYU, too, but for me, Temple just felt right. I just don't want to look back on my life and regret not having the NYC experience.

If temple felt "right" and the tuition is 100ks cheaper at temple (instate)....why would you even consider going to another school? To me, it sounds like you don't want to go to NYU but rather want to be in NYC. Mega Bus/Chinatown bus rides that leave center city philly are 5-10$ and get you to NYC in 2hours (Amtrak will take you there in an hour!)...so go to temple and when the urge to experience NYC comes to you get a bus ticket and go have some fun! Also, upon graduation the opportunity to live/work/residency in NYC will still be there....so you can have it all.

Verdict: Go to temple, enjoy NYC on the weekends...you won't be that far away.

if temple felt "right" and the tuition is 100ks cheaper at temple (instate)....why would you even consider going to another school? To me, it sounds like you don't want to go to nyu but rather want to be in nyc. Mega bus/chinatown bus rides that leave center city philly are 5-10$ and get you to nyc in 2hours (amtrak will take you there in an hour!)...so go to temple and when the urge to experience nyc comes to you get a bus ticket and go have some fun! Also, upon graduation the opportunity to live/work/residency in nyc will still be there....so you can have it all.

Verdict: Go to temple, enjoy nyc on the weekends...you won't be that far away.
+1

TEMPLE for sure! smaller class size, lesser cost for you. NYU is too big a school- i've heard you have to struggle to make it anywhere

Also, NYU is ranked as the easiest dental school to be admitted into, with temple being second lol. I chose Temple over NYU and Columbia, but many told me I was being obtuse :eek:. But all these nay-sayers are grown ups who don't even get the shpeal. Every dentist I spoke to said Temple

Also, NYU is ranked as the easiest dental school to be admitted into, with temple being second lol. I chose Temple over NYU and Columbia, but many told me I was being obtuse :eek:. But all these nay-sayers are grown ups who don't even get the shpeal. Every dentist I spoke to said Temple

Where are you getting this information from?

and temple isn't easy at all... 4000+ applicants and only 400 interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
:scared: OHHH NOOO! Lol, I stumbled on that a few months ago and it just stuck in my head, I couldn't remember the legitimacy behind it when I wrote my post. I then just copy pasted it because DW asked.

:scared: OHHH NOOO! Lol, I stumbled on that a few months ago and it just stuck in my head, I couldn't remember the legitimacy behind it when I wrote my post. I then just copy pasted it because DW asked.

Did you read the part that said "...FOR INTERNATIONAL DENTISTS"... aka people who are dentists from other counties but wanna work as dentists in the USA so they need to re-evaluate their dental education by entering into an international program

241q9tc.jpg

Did you read the part that said "...FOR INTERNATIONAL DENTISTS"... aka people who are dentists from other counties but wanna work as dentists in the USA so they need to re-evaluate their dental education by entering into an international program

241q9tc.jpg

Whoops! :luck:

No worries which room. I only said something because I have been at NYU grad for 2 years and am going back to dentistry. Cost is NOT an issue for me. I live here already, and I plan on paying at least 1 year tuition from my savings so I will come out with around $180k in Debt. Loved NYU...and don't mind their class size. Its an excellent school to go to if price isn't an issue.

I see the class size at NYU as an advantage...

That said, sounds like Temple's your school. GL.

I see the class size at NYU as an advantage...

That said, sounds like Temple's your school. GL.

The class size is probably the thing that worries me the most. Being that I want to specialize, I see myself having a greater chance being at the top 5% of a class of 130 vs 230. Why do you feel a larger class size is advantageous? I'm looking for any plus sides to the numbers..

I feel as if a larger class size allows you to find and make friends more easily. You don't have to be stuck with a small group of people if you do not like them. NYU is pretty diverse and having international dentists come in the 2nd year is advantageous to many students. My own friends at NYU tell me that foreign trained dentists actually help them in labs (since they have been through these already) also I think having diversity isn't a bad thing. Getting to know different cultures/people eventually helps in evolving social skills. Just my 2 cents.

Geege: I would love to be in your shoes!

The choice seems easy to me. I mean who doesn't love Brian!?? In all seriousness I can not see how a larger class size would be advantageous for someone wanting to specialize, but I could be wrong. I would go with Temple. NYC will always be there for you. IMHO, NYC is a great place to visit, but not to live.

Congrats on both of your acceptances and best of luck in your decision. I am sure you will be happy wherever you go. :)

Last edited: