Need literature- first year dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecap707

Dental Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just got into dental school and I'm looking for some good books to buy to prepare for my first year. Are there any that would be good for an entering student? Or any websites that give access to articles or something? Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

This thread definitely seems to be posted in the wrong forum. You should probably post it in the forum for dental students. You are about to get more literature than you need in a few months. Most of my friends would recommend chilling out for a few months before your life starts flipping upside down as a new dental student. If you are really going crazy and need to read something, ask a current D1 or D2 at the school you are going to. They will tell you the exact text books that you will need to buy. That way, if you are intent on reading something, it will at least be a book that you are going to buy anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed. take it easy these next few months. you'll look back on them fondly when dental school is in full force

Enjoy life! It is about to get harder...

Thieme medical publishers has some really good overview simplified texts.
Netters anatomy

I recommend going somewhere tropical. You can read one of the books there.

I think the OP want to be in study mode aka well-prepared once D-school hits him with full force. Wouldn't spending time @ the tropical country make you complacent?

I think the OP want to be in study mode aka well-prepared once D-school hits him with full force. Wouldn't spending time @ the tropical country make you complacent?

The reward of spending time in the tropics is well justified for a student who has been accepted to Dental School. I dont believe in burnout but I do consider intense studying of dental school material prior to dental school as overkill. Maybe a brief review of anatomy and basic sciences or if the school offers research opportunities is fine but using that summer to study for dental school is unnecessary.

this would be my suggested summer plan prior to dental school:
1. Vacation for 2-4 weeks
2. Develop a work out regimen
3. Go out and enjoy the company of your friends
4. Hit a water park
5. Mentally prepare for what is about to be the next 4 years of your life.

Read Pathways of the Pulp cover to cover. That should keep you busy. If you finish that, read Fixed Prosthodontics by Rosenthal cover to cover.

If you do that, you'll be way ahead of your peers, but you probably won't remember most of it by the time you get to D2 and it becomes useful.