need loupes??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remote

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do most urology residents get loupes?? how necessary are they in training/practice? i just don't know if i should get them. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs provide them through your stipend. Send an email to your program coordinator. You won't need them by day one of PGY-1.

Most programs provide them through your stipend. Send an email to your program coordinator. You won't need them by day one of PGY-1.

don't think my program will supply them so i'm just debating whether or not I should get them with my own money. is it worth it? will I use them regularly enough to warrant the purchase? would love to hear any insight from current uro residents/attending. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least where I'm training, you are expected to wear loupes for most pediatric cases and some open stuff. Our program provides them. Honestly, it is near impossible to do a hypospadias repair on a small kid, for example, without loupes.

I've become one of those people who wear loupes for almost every major open procedure---they offer great eye protection and I like the added mag when doing fine suturing such as ureteral or urethral reconstructions. A def for peds as well---would definitely get some if I were you

Sorry to bump an old thread but about to get a set of my own. Do most of you go with 2.5x or do you find 3.3 or 3.5x to be worth the extra weight or cost?