Need Major Advice! :/ (3.38 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA, MCAT-get score 5/25)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFLAGATORS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know my chances at MD and DO schools. Thank you in advance for replying to my post.

I have a degree in Microbiology and Cell Science. 3.38cGPA, 3.32sGPA. I started off poorly my freshman year then slowly brought it up. Did stellar my junior year, but my senior year was rough. I went through huge financial troubles with my family, and my final semester I received a C in a humanities course and C+ in immunology. At the time, I didn't realize that my financial position was effecting my academic performance (too many details to talk about).

I also have 5 withdraws because I honestly didn't know it was a big deal. 1 was a legitimate hard course for me (Calc 1, got a B second round, then A in Calc 2). I dropped Marketing early because I didn't want a business minor anymore, dropped Physics 2 early because I had to go to India for 2 weeks at the end of the semester and the professor wouldn't let me make up the final (got a B+ when i took it the following semester). Dropped Analytical chem lab because didn't need it anymore for my major. Dropped Physical Chemistry because I broke my writing hand and the homework and Tests would be impossible to complete.

I have 2 years Undergrad research experience with a publication, research scholarship award, and poster presentation. I am currently employed full-time as a Research Assistant and will have a future publication.

Shadowed an ENT, Ped ENT, Nehphrologist, Internist, and Neonatologist.

Volunteered mainly my 1st two years of undergrad in ICU and patient transport and my 5th senior year in OR and ER. research took up a lot of my time junior/senior year.

I took my MCATs on April 23rd, 2010 while working full time. I am applying to Master's programs to increase my chances of matriculating. I would like to get into a research-based program for 2010-2011, then apply to an SMP (2011-2012) the following year.

Do you think I will have a good shot at getting into an MD school FALL 2012 after finishing a Master's and an SMP? I have considered the DO route, but I honestly would like to attend an allopathic school.

Will I need a stellar MCAT score (35+) to get into an MD program, or will 30-34 be enough?

Please be as brutally honest as possible. Thank you soo much for helping me out. I owe all you SDNers!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know my chances at MD and DO schools. Thank you in advance for replying to my post.

I have a degree in Microbiology and Cell Science. 3.38 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA.

I took my MCATs on April 23rd, 2010 while working full time. I am applying to Master's programs to increase my chances of matriculating. I would like to get into a research-based program for 2010-2011, then apply to an SMP (2011-2012) the following year.

Do you think I will have a good shot at getting into an MD school FALL 2012 after finishing a Master's and an SMP? I have considered the DO route, but I honestly would like to attend an allopathic school.

Will I need a stellar MCAT score (35+) to get into an MD program, or will 30-34 be enough?

Please be as brutally honest as possible. Thank you soo much for helping me out. I owe all you SDNers!

I've found this sheet to be immensely helpful in understanding people's chances in the application cycle. It's a bit outdated, but I doubt competitiveness has so highly changed that it doesn't still help some. Let's break it down:

GPA: Both cum. and sci. are lower than average and could hurt you. As a graduating 5th year senior, an SMP is a good way to help that, as taking individual classes won't budge it.

MCAT: Unknown, though you seem to peg it at 30-35.

With those two things alone, the sheet gives you a roughly 50% chance of admission.

ECs: Lots of research with a pub is a bonus. You also seem to have lots of experience with it and a commitment to research. That's definitely good.

Volunteering looks good two with several year-long+ commitments.

Shadowing is good too, with a variety of fields.

:thumbup:

I guess I question if you even need a Master's + SMP. Definitely do a Master's if you're interested in research and can find a program that's 1 year. But, why not give med schools a shot after that? Are you gunning for a top 25? If so, you could try the SMP, but the top 25 door might already be closed, even with the SMP. If you're just shooting for any allopathic med school, I think you've got a chance even with the lower GPA. Probably a decent chance even without the Master's degree.