Need motivation to pass new MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamart10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All! Hope your studying! I have been procrastinating for a while and now that the new MCAT 2015 rolls around this spring, I am terrified. I lacked motivation and determination to study for the 2014 MCAT version, but still took the previous version MCAT with crammed sessions and sporadic studying.

Obviously, not good news once I sat down and took the test. Honestly, it was pretty simple basic knowledge stuff, a lot of famous trick questions on physics parts, but the stuff I just had not studied for I essentially just guessed to the best of my knowledge. I actually studied more for the Physical Sciences part, first part of MCAT, since I love math. Physics is more visual and math concerning, and general chemistry is not too hard so I felt more comfortable answering those questions. I ended up answering easy questions WRONG because I second guessed myself. I knew that I had answered it wrong since I kept thinking about the questions and looked up the answers and found out that indeed I had answered it wrong. I ended up getting a score of 8 on Physical Sciences part, the one I studied the most on. However, once I proceeded to the next sections, Verbal Reasoning and Biological Sciences, it was just awful. I hardly knew anything for biology, let alone Organic Chemistry. And for verbal reasoning I only did one practice test, getting a suggested score of 10, so I did not bother to do any other practice tests. FAIL! For both Verbal Reasoning and Biological Sciences I got a score of 4!!! And the writing sample was still on the test and my letter grade was M, less than fair.

Overall, MCAT 2014 is really easy compared to this new 2015 version that has 67 questions vs 50 questions, 90min sections vs 60min sections, in addition to biochem, social sciences and psychology. Plus if you took the MCAT in 2014, you only had 3 sections and NO WRITTING section, just the trial section for the new 2015 version. And those prepared to take it this January 2015 until the 13th. I was suppose to take the easiest MCAT, 2014 version with no writting sample but instead now I'm facing the dreaded new 2015! All because I wasn't able to study in 2014!

I have to work to help out with bills and just living expenses with my wife but I find it hard to work and study for MCAT effectively all at once. Unfortunately, now I have to work, full-time most likely, since we are getting our own apartment, and study for this exhausting 2015 version. Wish me luck and hope you guys can comment on your experiences in taking the 2014 version and how you guys will tackle the 2015 version. Help me keep my motivation this new year of 2015 to master this new MCAT and finally pass it with a good score to get into Med school. Good luck to all of you and please just study! I know we put it off for relaxing or playing games, but just study! You will thank yourself when you see an identical practice problem on the actual MCAT! I actually had that happen to me and it is very motivating on test day! Sorry for making this a long one but I like to give lots of details, lol, :)

Members don't see this ad.

Good Luck !!!

Keep chugging along .. 2015 has arrived and so is the new MCAT :) everyone else will be in the same boat as you are so the bell curve ( used for scoring you ) is still the same , number of med seats available is the same ....except you have to sit longer writing the exam .. am sure u will come out well

Thanks for sharing your story :cat:

People learn from analyzing other people's mistakes, and I have seen it happen time and time (including me) where you never think it will be you and then time rolls around and its you. This usually happens to me with syllabus readings. I skip the section that says "if you miss a day of class", and I always think to myself I will never miss a single session lol.

Anyways, good luck on the new MCAT. I think its obvious they have extended the pitfalls you can make to get a better distribution score. Adding more questions and beefing up on some sections.

Will be interesting to see how the test is received. Motivation comes and go. its kind of fleeting. So replenish it wisely and frequently. I would try to find someone to study with, I like competition. Keeps me going. Thats why I have to study in busy library. So find a place that works for you (home is a terrible place sometimes).

Best of wishes with new MCAT. When you go through the process, you get a better feel for it. No need to sit in on the next exam until you are ready, just take a weekend to time yourself as if the actual test. I am sure you will do great !