Need opinion about away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im a third year applying for radiology soon and wanted your opinion on the timing of my away rotation. Is it too late (to make an impression at my away rotation, get a letter) if my rotation dates are from mid sept-mid oct? I ask because thats the earliest potential date I can rotate at that particular institution, and dont want to feel like I "wasted" my time if it is felt that time of the year is too late.

Thanks for your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I did my first two(and major) radiology away electives as my first and second rotation of my fourth year. I felt it was a good idea because I was able to read up on rads over the summer, and it was plenty of time to get LOR's back in time for ERAS. I think it is extremely beneficial to get your ERAS application out EARLY. I got mine out mid-Sept. I did have one more Rads elective in Nov. but it was just for the learning experience and to check out the program...I didn't need a letter from them.

Mid-Sept to Mid-Oct is a little later than I would prefer, but if its just to "be seen" at a residency program, then that's fine, because your application will already be out. If you are needing that rotation for a LOR, then I recommend getting three letters before this rotation, and as long as they are good, sending them out with your ERAS app. If your mid-Sept to mid-Oct rotation turns out great, and you get a stellar LOR, then you can always add it to ERAS(you can have up to 4 LOR's).

So, in short, IMHO, I don't think its too late to make an impression, but you are pushing it if you need that LOR for your ERAS application.

Good Luck.

I had a rotation in Sept at a program I matched at. I would do it, but make sure you have 3 good letters already in the bank at that point. Then if you get another good one, or if it's from a really good program, you can always add that to the fray, and it will be available at the programs you go to interview at later. Definitely do it if you can make a good impression.