Need really good advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeSeeEverything

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is a 3.1 (pretty low but I'm a behavioral neuroscience major who has had all my science classes lumped with engineers), OAT TS 320 and AA 330, only 20 hours of shadowing but I feel I've gotten a lot out of it. I don't really have any extracurriculars pertaining specifically to optometry since my university doesn't have any pre-professional tracks whatsoever. I was taking courses to get into med school but decided to go for pre optometry instead about a year and a half ago. I do have 60+ hrs of shadowing in a hospital from when I was a pre-med. I plan on applying to ICO, SCO, NOVA, Western, UMSL, and SUNY (a stretch).

So I need some advice. I planned on submitting all my apps by the end of August. Would I have a chance at my top choices (ICO, NOVA)? Or should I wait, shadow some more, try to gain some other types of optometry related experience, try to raise my GPA, and submit my applications my December? Would that be too late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply early, it will probably improve your chances more than an extra few months would. I would call the schools you are interested in and ask their advice though. They will tell you if you are a competitive applicant or not.

Regarding calling the schools: how should one go about it?

Should we tell them if we're applying this cycle and then ask if our GPA/ OAT scores are competitive enough? Will schools actually let us know where we stand in terms of our chances of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! That's what admission reps are for! I emailed the reps at two schools and asked if I would be a competitive applicant. If you have an unofficial copy of transcripts go ahead and send that, because they will probably ask for it. My overall gpa was a little higher, but my science gpa was lower and I got into my top school. Also, ask them what steps you can take to make your app more competitive. They will give you good advice!

What roush137 said. It's really normal to just call them and ask them about it. They were very helpful to me.

Apply early apply early apply early! Of course you should also do the shadowing and try to raise your GPA, but you can update your application by adding experiences etc as you go along. But rolling admissions really means you should apply early! The longer you wait, the harder it is to get a seat.