Need second opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elisa1901

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian 22 yrs old female. English is secondary language. 2 times mcat.
1st: ps-5, vb-6, bs-10 (self study)
2nd: ps-7, vb-5, bs-8 ( kaplan course)
Good letter of rec, GPA: 3.9, shadowing for 3 months, volunteer for 2 months, intern course ( one of the course offer by university) for 5 months
Already applied for MD ( 2 secondaries so far) and DO, now crossing my finger for miracle. What should i consider if i am not accepted this cycle? Tell me more about caribbean school because still in doubt of good residency rate. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You have a great GPA but your MCAT is too low for MD schools. Which DO schools did you apply to? It is possible to receive DO interviews if you apply to the new and low tier DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should retake the MCAT and apply DO for next cycle. I don't think you can apply with the current MCAT that you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I wouldn't bet on the new DO schools to give you interview invites. Please retake the MCAT and apply next cycle for DO.

Thank you for y'all reply. already started on my application before i even get my second mcat because i've been study, practice, even taking kaplan course, even feeling good after the test. but it was unexpected. if i proceed, it wont hurt me right? any suggest how i could improve my score because im out of sources, use all the practice tests and still no idea why my score so low.

Thank you for y'all reply. already started on my application before i even get my second mcat because i've been study, practice, even taking kaplan course, even feeling good after the test. but it was unexpected. if i proceed, it wont hurt me right? any suggest how i could improve my score because im out of sources, use all the practice tests and still no idea why my score so low.

yes it will hurt if you proceed, you don't want to be a reapplicant.

If you are going ahead with your application to DO schools consider these schools for your application:
ACOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
LMU-DCOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM-all 3 schools
WVSOM
WCU-COM
For other DO schools you are likely to be screened out because of your low MCAT. Even some of these schools may screen you out but your high GPA may get you 1 or 2 interviews. If you do not receive an acceptance this year hopefully you could improve your MCAT for next year.