Need serious career advice and motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental master

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated with B.D.S degree in India in 2007 and have taken NBDE part 1 exam in 2009. I have scored 84 % .This score was before the pass and fail pattern NBDE exam started . My GPA is below 3 . I applied to few universities in 2010 but never heard from any of the universities . I started working as a dental assistant and worked for 2 years and also did internship in oral surgery department for one month in UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO . In the interim I wrote a research paper on "Short Root Anomalies".. I have my E.A.D (work permit) but waiting for my green card. Unfortunately I got busy in my family life and could not take part 2 NBDE exam and neither applied for the universities any more. I have tried preparing for NBDE exam part 2 several times but was totally involved with family affairs. Today I want to revoke my career ,but in a total dilemma with numerous questions in my mind. Please suggest me if it is worth taking Nbde part 2 exam and trying once again with application process ,hoping green card would come in another 2 years or is it better to focus my energy on a different career . I have a little kid to take care of and left with little time to study . I need motivation and suggestions please ,since my career is affecting my family life as well. Thanks in advance for taking time to read this thread .

Members don't see this ad.

part 2 will allow you to apply to many more universities than few selected ones and i feel even without the greencard you can definitely get into schools. you do have a good chance with those experiences you have and yes people without part 2 does get in , do apply and during that process you can update with part 2 if you are able to appear for it. Try applying now you will make it for sure. :)

part 2 will allow you to apply to many more universities than few selected ones and i feel even without the greencard you can definitely get into schools. you do have a good chance with those experiences you have and yes people without part 2 does get in , do apply and during that process you can update with part 2 if you are able to appear for it. Try applying now you will make it for sure. :)
Thank you so much for the advice it is so encouraging .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
Do people without part 2 get admission?are you serious?what all is required in their stats?plz reply

Hi!
Do people without part 2 get admission?are you serious?what all is required in their stats?plz reply
Yes they definitely do, a good gpa, some experience here in US = Even shadowing a dentist plays a role. Good SOP, CV. And yes if invited for interview doing good in bench test is a must and if there is no bench test then one should be impressive in the interview.

If you want it bad enough, family affairs can wait. That's it. you can party all you want after you get your license.

Get together with your family and figure out if it is important that you become a dentist in USA. If it is important for them, ask what they are willing to do to help you. It is difficult to find money, childcare etc if there no help.
Again, if family thinks, that dental assisting is good enough, you may be on your own

I am not in US right now.will shadowing from any other foreign country(other than my home country) help?

You need work experience from your country. It is better to have exposure to US or Canadian dentistry in regards to shadowing

Yes, i do have work experience from my home country