need some advice...and encouragement!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwork4school

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the forum...well, signed up a while back but am back on seriously and this is my first post. I decided last year that being a dentist is the ideal career for me on so many levels so I am pursuing very hard and in the process of applying for 2011, and I am optimistic thinking worst case I will get in 2012 - hopefully!

Here's my history and what I am doing, and I'm looking for any feedback, input, or advice.

I got a degree in Environmental Science with a minor in Chemistry in December 2005 - GPA 3.02
I took 21 credits of Information Technology Post-Bacc courses and received a certificate in applied sciences in information systems from 2007-2008 at an accredited universtiy - GPA 3.9
In fall of 2009 I got back into school full time to get into dental school and have since received a 4.0 for all science courses since as I am really focusing my studies on my goal - 31 credits of science including Biology, Chemistry (retakes because I hadn't had general chem since 2001-2002), Cell Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Physics II.
I am in a Post-Bacc Health Sciences program designed for post bacc boosting their application for medical/dental for the upcoming fall and spring 2011 which will give me another 30 or so credits of higher level Biology e.g. Bacteriology, Endocrinology, Anatomy, etc. and planning on getting 4.0's in all those.
The problem I'm running into is the volume of credits I have - these 4.0 semesters don't bring up my cum GPA too much! Anyway all said and done I think overall it will be a 3.4ish with a ton of high level bio course.
I am taking the Kaplan DAT prep course now and hoping for a 20 or higher of course.
I also will also have almost 300 hours of shadowing, with 50+ of assisting/hands on as my family friend is allowing me to live and go to work with him all summer while I study for the DAT.

Does it sound like I am doing the right things?? Any advice!? Also, what is the latest I should apply / put off taking the DAT so I can maximize score, yet give myself a shot at 2011 admissions?

And lastly, and embarrassingly, how far back does the background go? I had a drinking conviction in undergrad back in 2004...

Thank you all so much for reading and for any feedback. I am reading all of these posts and this is a great site!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well it sounds like you are definitely on the right track with all your postbac courses! Even though the undergrad GPA is pretty low, there's something to be said about getting good grades in postbac courses (yeah there is speculation about grade inflation for masters programs but I can't remember now if you said you were in a masters program, hmm). Anyways, I would say that you need to take the DAT sooner than later, with a heavy emphasis on sooner. My scores are kind of sucky but I am hoping they'll do this cycle. If I retook it, I would have to wait until the beginning of October and I just think that is too late. As far as the drinking thing goes, I also got a drinking ticket back in 2006 and I went ahead and put it on the AADSAS application even though my school records office did not have it on record (I received it in the dorms and I checked and the housing dept. still had it on file). I think that if you can explain your circumstances and how you have improved from that point it is (hopefully) not going to be a complete deal breaker. All I can say is if you want to potentially get in for the 2011 cycle, you need to be on the ball. Putting together the application is time consuming and getting all your LORs can be a drag. Gooooood luck!

Read Doc Toothache's links about dental statistics. Take the DAT early to get it out of the way. You seem motivated, why not save the $$ and self-study? Keep up the good work!

thanks darkwalk and iluvdentistry, I appreciate the quick replies! anymore are greatly appreciated! I will schedule the DAT asap - thanks!