Need some Advice and Reality check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a Sophomore in college and I am just unsure about my chances into medical school.
I currently have a GPA of 2.868 and below are the GPA for the past year and a half
1st year 1st semester: 11 credit, 2.36
1st year 2nd semester: 12 credit, 3.08
2nd year, 1st semester: 15 credit, 3.067

I have been slacking off a bit and have spent a whole lot of time studying and finally realized that I really do need to study in a constant basis and actually go to class.

If I do manage to get all As and take maximum credit for the next year and a half, I will be able to get a 3.547 as my GPA. But honestly, it will be hard to get all As even with a lot of time and effort.

Recently, I have been thinking whether I really want to go on and apply to medical school. I have been thinking about the possibility of taking a gap year after undergrad and applying after my fourth year to get my GPA up if I manage to get all As for rest of my undergrad years. Another plan was to take the path to pre-dentistry and see where I go with that.

With my current GPA, do I still have to the chance to get into a decent medical school or would it better to take the pre-dentistry route or do I not have a chance to get into a decent dentist schools?

p.s. I am wondering about this right now because of the new MCAT and whether I should take the MCAT or start studying for DAT or neither. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am currently a Sophomore in college and I am just unsure about my chances into medical school.
I currently have a GPA of 2.868 and below are the GPA for the past year and a half
1st year 1st semester: 11 credit, 2.36
1st year 2nd semester: 12 credit, 3.08
2nd year, 1st semester: 15 credit, 3.067

I have been slacking off a bit and have spent a whole lot of time studying and finally realized that I really do need to study in a constant basis and actually go to class.

If I do manage to get all As and take maximum credit for the next year and a half, I will be able to get a 3.547 as my GPA. But honestly, it will be hard to get all As even with a lot of time and effort.

Recently, I have been thinking whether I really want to go on and apply to medical school. I have been thinking about the possibility of taking a gap year after undergrad and applying after my fourth year to get my GPA up if I manage to get all As for rest of my undergrad years. Another plan was to take the path to pre-dentistry and see where I go with that.

With my current GPA, do I still have to the chance to get into a decent medical school or would it better to take the pre-dentistry route or do I not have a chance to get into a decent dentist schools?

p.s. I am wondering about this right now because of the new MCAT and whether I should take the MCAT or start studying for DAT or neither. Thank You

With your current stats, I would focus on improving my GPA and have a semester with a 3.5+ before I would start thinking about getting all A's with 18 credit hours for the next year and a half. I apologize if it's comes across as harsh, but you need to really improve your GPA before you start thinking about when you take the MCAT or studying for the DAT. Frankly, with your current GPA and an amazing test score, you won't have opportunities at either program.