Need some advice badly on Engineering to Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brian9090

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been struggling making my decision at this point and I just really want to hear some advices

Me:

-Civil Engineering Major, graduating in a month (05/2014)
-Got accepted to structural engineering program (Top 50), and will start in the Fall if i elect to do it.
-GPA 3.2 right now, could be in the range of 3.1-3.3 depends on this semester's grade

However, becoming a doctor has always been my dream, only reason I didn't do pre-med from the get-go was because medical school wasn't an option for me as I was an international student. I thought I have already given up the idea and will just settle with engineering, but seems like as I am about to graduate, the thought of becoming a doctor just still hasn't died.

I think I have a true interest in medicine, biology,disease, etc. I can't say I don't like CE, but it just doesn't interest me nearly as much as medicine/biology does, I am just afraid that after a few years, I would be like, oh this is just not what i like to do.

I already have: general biology/microbiology/2 semester of gen chem/2 semester phys/ calculus/statistic, so I think i just need to make up some upper division bio/and Ochem, which should be done in 1 year.

Soooo, what do you guys think? should i just go for it? Take one year of pre-med preparation and apply? or just stick with engineering? If you have similar experience, that would be wonderful !Thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! It's your dream, go for it. Obviously try to raise your GPA, but I think you're on the right track. I have a few Engineering -> Premed friends who either stayed an Engineering major or switched to a Biology major.

You should spend a good amount of time shadowing physicians and CEs (if they do that. idk). I wouldn't gamble my future like you're proposing. Get a more solid idea which direction you want to go.

Past that, that GPA will definitely hold you back. I don't think it's very competitive for US MD schools, and if you're still international, I don't know how competitive it is for DO schools either. Your GPA should be your primary focus.

Also, poke around these forums for advice on ECs. Those are just as important for admission criteria these days.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA-wise, I feel like that's a ok/decent GPA for engineering school, especially CE at our school is a top ranked program. So I don't know if that can be a consideration for Med school.

I actually did volunteer in ER for a quite a while during my junior year, and I can get some ECs/shadowing in during my 1 year prep time...

I just don't know if CE is something worth giving up for and if I am still on a good condition to go into Med school.... :( Thanks hopeless girls and Rik1111..... hope to hear more of you guys!

I am graduating with my engineering degree this May and attending medical school in the fall so I know the decision you're facing. I have loved having my engineering degree and how I can utilize my style of learning in the medical field.

However, I think there are a few things you need to know before giving up what could be a lucrative career for something that might not work. First off, having an engineering degree does not excuse you from needing a high gpa. Yes, it will definitely make you stand out as an applicant because you are different, but they will not turn their eyes off your low gpa.

Furthermore, they love to see some form of research in your application and ec's that you have been a part of for awhile. You may be able to tailor your personal statement to account for your late decision to head into the medical field, but I would not be surprised if they view your <1 year of ec's and research as sub-par.

The application pool for international students is extremely competitive so any empty space in your application could be catastrophic.

The point I'm trying to make is you need to look at what you want to do as a career. If you are truly passionate for medicine and cannot see yourself being an engineer for the rest of your life, give it a shot and switch over. But you need to be able to accept the idea that you may not get in and have a plan set up for that situation.

If you have any questions about the transition of engineering -> medical school feel free to message me. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Good luck with your decision and know that either career you choose will be fantastic!

Reactions: 1 user
I am graduating with my engineering degree this May and attending medical school in the fall so I know the decision you're facing. I have loved having my engineering degree and how I can utilize my style of learning in the medical field.

However, I think there are a few things you need to know before giving up what could be a lucrative career for something that might not work. First off, having an engineering degree does not excuse you from needing a high gpa. Yes, it will definitely make you stand out as an applicant because you are different, but they will not turn their eyes off your low gpa.

Furthermore, they love to see some form of research in your application and ec's that you have been a part of for awhile. You may be able to tailor your personal statement to account for your late decision to head into the medical field, but I would not be surprised if they view your <1 year of ec's and research as sub-par.

The application pool for international students is extremely competitive so any empty space in your application could be catastrophic.

The point I'm trying to make is you need to look at what you want to do as a career. If you are truly passionate for medicine and cannot see yourself being an engineer for the rest of your life, give it a shot and switch over. But you need to be able to accept the idea that you may not get in and have a plan set up for that situation.

If you have any questions about the transition of engineering -> medical school feel free to message me. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Good luck with your decision and know that either career you choose will be fantastic!

Thanks for the advice, and good job on getting your engineering degree and getting matriculated into med school right after! I was doing that for a couple semester but just making me cannot focus on the pre-med courses...

I did talk to my school's medical school. The admission director said I definitely has a shot if I can score a decent score on MCAT and be competitive on the post-bacc courses I will be taking to make up the pre-req and of course, strengthen my profile with other things as well.

So Contender603, did you always know you wanted to do medical school or is it something you found out while in the engineering program? Do you have the feeling that you are "giving up" some really good skill/career you could have potentially have? For me at this point is, I think engineering is a GREAT field, especially to me, CE involves every single aspect of our city's infrastructure, I think the mental stimulation is very nice to have....Idon't know. I guess I am too greedy. I LOVE medicine, I love the direct impact on people, the interaction, the unpredictability of daily work....but at the same time, i love the complex problem solving from engineering!LOL I guess I am just nuts....... My roommate always says I am like a Border Collie dog, always needs that mental stimulation.

I always had an interest in medicine but never really thought I was "qualified" enough to become a doctor, that's why I went into engineering. I found time to take extra biology and chemistry classes throughout my degree and absolutely loved the material. I was also lucky enough to work for a medical device company in research and development which helped me make the decision to pursue medicine.

For me, I think the main reason I made the switch was because I like the social aspect of medicine and being able to hear the gratification of my work first-hand. I did not like the idea of being behind a desk for the rest of my life in the engineering field and not directly working with the customer.