About the ads

Need some advice / brainstorming

Discussion in 'Med Business [ MD/MBA, DO/MBA, DDS/MBA ]' started by oldfatman, May 2, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. oldfatman

oldfatman

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I was promoted to department head a while ago. I am wondering where do I go from here? CMO/VPMA seems unlikely since I am in a non-clinical specialty (pathology).

I have heard the phrase "the quickest way to CEO is to start your own company", but starting one seems a bit far fetched at this point.
  2. Doc89

Doc89

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im only an MD/MBA candidate right now- but for the sake of brainstorming being in a non-clinical speciality may actually be an asset - I say this because you may be able to have more flexible hours and work-life balance to pick up admin duties or start your own company for that matter. Thoughts?

Also, the MD MBA Association has some great articles profiling physicians going into executive positions etc... here http://www.mdmbas.com/ForMDMBACandidates/ArticlesandResources/
  3. oldfatman

oldfatman

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nice website. I think I would be more inclined to go my own way and start something new than to join the executive ranks. There's a lot of "fluff" over there.
  4. Doc89

Doc89

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    agreed - at your level that would probably be more feasible...