Need some advice for my senior year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullsizebronco91

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a junior in high school and need advice on classes next year. 1) I can pick two science classes either honors Bio, ap chem, or ap physics. Which two would help me the most for undergrad which will probably be biochem? 2) My school offers a trade school program during school and I can choose between auto tech and dental careers (which is pretty much dental assisting) The reason I am considering auto tech is because i could work for my dad during college but the latter could help me on getting in to dental school. Anyhow let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

I think anything that helps you get accepted to an undergrad would be good. Dental schools don't really care too much about what undergrad you go to as long as you get a good GPA.

That being said, many schools do NOT accept AP credits in lieu of pre-req courses, I had to take a bio course in undergrad that was already covered by AP bio.

As for dental assisting experience, I think it's a good way to get yourself exposed to the field but not really necessary/beneficial for dental school application. Admissions generally do not look at your experience prior to undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
Enjoy high school. Make sure you get the yolo out of your system. Honestly, unless you're top notch and able to apply to 7-8 yr programs don't stress yourself out right now. Dental assisting would be a nice way to get exposure though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take AP prereqs unless you plan on retaking them in undergrad. I learned the hard way. Took AP Physics in high school, didn't take it in college. I couldn't apply to like 15 schools because they didn't accept AP credit.

Good posts about AP credits not transferring, I forgot about that.

As far as auto mechanics vs. Dental assisting, how much time do you plan to spend working? I work on cars as a hobby and put it on my application for manual dexterity, but was only really asked about it twice out of my interviews. Not sure if it contributed in selection process either.

I would choose dental assisting. Most schools want dental experiences and it could also help you see if dentistry is what you really want to do.