Need some advice for USMLE step 1 progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sglhil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I really need some realistic advice on how I should approach my preparation from now on after getting a 420 on NBME 7 which correlates to a 203 today.

My step 1 date is December 24th.
I started studying with USMLERx with 54% of questions used. Overall 54% correct (started with mid 30's and the last few were in high 60's low 70's).
Then I switched to UWorld and so far I have used 26% of the questions with an avg of 60% (score varied from 48~74% but I feel like there does not seem to be an increasing trend). Looking at the Uworld score estimation, which gave me a 230 with a 60% avg random and timed mode, I thought I was doing ok with my progress and decided to do an NMBE today.

My study style so far was just going over every single explanation on the questions I have done so far with minimal reading on FA or any other books for that matter as I found doing more questions would eventually solidify my knowledge and hence better score.

My concern is should I stick with this study method or try to really memorize the FA book religiously? I have my OSCEs in late november so I won't be able to devote 24/7 to Step 1 before that (although I am spending the majority of time prepping for step 1). Are there any other recommendations as to how I should prep for it and should I even postpone the exam to a later date?

I am confused whether my progress is normal or not as nobody is taking the step 1 at my school at the moment and all I see from SDN are people with 250+

My initial goal was to break at least 240+ to have some chance in an academic general surgery program as a non-citizen IMG.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I really need some realistic advice on how I should approach my preparation from now on after getting a 420 on NBME 7 which correlates to a 203 today.

My step 1 date is December 24th.
I started studying with USMLERx with 54% of questions used. Overall 54% correct (started with mid 30's and the last few were in high 60's low 70's).
Then I switched to UWorld and so far I have used 26% of the questions with an avg of 60% (score varied from 48~74% but I feel like there does not seem to be an increasing trend). Looking at the Uworld score estimation, which gave me a 230 with a 60% avg random and timed mode, I thought I was doing ok with my progress and decided to do an NMBE today.

My study style so far was just going over every single explanation on the questions I have done so far with minimal reading on FA or any other books for that matter as I found doing more questions would eventually solidify my knowledge and hence better score.

My concern is should I stick with this study method or try to really memorize the FA book religiously? I have my OSCEs in late november so I won't be able to devote 24/7 to Step 1 before that (although I am spending the majority of time prepping for step 1). Are there any other recommendations as to how I should prep for it and should I even postpone the exam to a later date?

I am confused whether my progress is normal or not as nobody is taking the step 1 at my school at the moment and all I see from SDN are people with 250+

My initial goal was to break at least 240+ to have some chance in an academic general surgery program as a non-citizen IMG.

Thank you in advance.

Well you would definitely need at least a 240 for the general surgery program as a non-citizen IMG. less than 100 non-citizen IMGs get a categorical general surgery spot every year and many of them will have previous training as well as a 240+ on their scores.

I can't advise you too much since i haven't been through this, hopefully someone responds. good luck :)

Hi, there are a few things wrong with your study approach. There is ample info here on SDN (in the USMLE forums) regarding the most efficient and direct study plans for Step 1.
First off, FA should have been your reference. You need to have gone over this numerous times, if not memorized. It has key facts, mnemonics, and formulas that you will require when striving for a good score.
Second, you need to complete UWorld a number of times, having read the explanations and annotated FA. USMLERx was actually my third line back when I did it. I had completed UWorld first and then Kaplan.
Unfortunately, you don't have too much time left. I would focus on FA and UWorld and buckle down.

Lastly, I would, personally, postpone my exam date. This isn't an exam you get to re-take for a higher score and, if you fail, chances at residency begin to dwindle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consult the Step1 forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/step-i.27/).

And I wouldn't worry about the scores you read on SDN. There's reporter bias because those who do well are more likely to post about it. The USA Step1 average is currently 227. On SDN, it's probably low-240s.

But to put things in perspective, you can get into gen surg with <240. I would say the vast majority of the students I've worked with this year will not come close to 240. It's only when you get away from SDN and interact with people in the real world that you realize how rare good scores actually are. On SDN, you're right, it seems as though everyone gets +2SD, but I've never actually encountered an individual in real life who's scored 260+ on Step1.

My USMLE Step1 Thoughts and Experience:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=977497

You need to have FA memorised. Period.

Follow Phloston's advice - he did extremely well.

Question banks are also really good to help you find deficiencies and where to focus your studies. You are 6+ weeks out, which is plenty of time. I didn't start studying until 5 weeks out, and did OK, but not great during my first 2 years as a medical student and scored well on Step I.

Just force yourself to be in the library from when it opens to when it closes daily, take your lunch, snacks and try not to talk with your mates - just focus on reading, reading, and more reading. Don't go out on the weekends, but use that time to go over test questions. It is only 6 weeks of hibernation, but well worth it if you score well.