Need Some Advice / Guidance Desperately

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cj200893

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There, I am very new to the forum (actually just signed up). I have been reading so much these past couple of weeks and I am really hoping to get an unbiased opinion on what everyone thinks is my best plan of attack to pursuing a career in the health field.

I am a career changer (currently working in accounting/big4/cpa exam) and can tell it is just not for me. I have always been interested in med school but to be quite honest, up until taking the CPA exam and passing it on my first try, I never had confidence in myself to believe I was smart enough to pursue a career in medicine.

With that said here is where I am at: thanks to my undergrad school, from what I could tell pre-req wise for most med schools I need 2 semesters of Bio, 1 semester of Chem, 2 semesters of Orgo (yikes). I have taken AP physics B and C in hs and took 2 semesters of physics with lab in college as well, along with a soc, 2 psych courses, stats, and Calc I and II. So I would really like to either A) apply to med school this fall or B) do a postbacc program with linkage so that either way I can hopefully start medical school in 2018!

I have an undergrad 3.3 gpa (not sure if major gpa counts? but for business its 3.7) and with regards to postbacc I have a 1430 (750 math; 680 reading) for the SAT.
1.) Would it be beneficial for me to do a postbacc program for one year and bust my butt and get into a linkage, or take the pre-reqs at either a CC or local state uni? (cost is a huge issue but lets face it, med school is a worthwhile investment).
1.) Any postbacc programs that are 1 yr that anyone could recommend? I am from the NJ coast area(I would really like to commute but do not mind a 1.5 hr commute like Bryn Mawr).
2.) With regards to residencies and future jobs, is it important to go to a top-ranked med school?
-If I had perfect scores, I love Columbia, UPenn, and Temple (who doesn't lol) but I know with my scores they are a long-shot to say the least.
3.) Are there any good postbacc or links to these programs? Or should I worry more about getting into med school and not about the us news ranking?
4.) I was originally tossing up between getting my DPT vs. MD in PM&R, but after shadowing physicians I like the idea of having a more medical focus and being able to work in a hospital and diagnose as well as prescribe treatments (I love manual therapy a lot, so I will miss this by not doing the DPT but I weighed the pros and cons of both)

I know this is asking a lot, and if it is not already obvious I am stressed as to my best way to pursue a career in medicine, the internet is great but it can also make your head spin.

Thank you so much for everyone's honest answers, you have no idea how much it means!!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick (personal) point I'd like to make before offering any other advice: I believe your best bet would be to apply next cycle (2018 matriculation) at the earliest. We're already pretty deep in the current cycle, so piece together your best application now and save yourself from (potentially) becoming a reapplicant next year.

Thanks for the response, I completely agree that was my plan! Applying fall 2017 and starting in August of 2018 correct? After taking pre-reqs this spring,summer,and fall and doing the MCAT over the summer, or is that not a viable timeline? With regards to volunteer hours I have about 50 with a PT (doubt that counts but maybe?) and then 50-60 with a trained physician at Mass General near where I work.

Members don't see this ad :)
In your third paragraph you suggested applying this fall (as in now/Fall 2016). Sorry for the confusion.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you know the medical school application cycle typically opens early May of each year (so that you're able to fill it out) while you're able to submit for verification typically in early June. The cycle actually begins late Spring.

I think taking your MCAT in the summer is a double-edged sword. Good because it'll give you plenty of time to study from now until then, but bad because you'll have to allow a month to get your scores back which will completed application date beach even further back. You'll want your scores asap, but the MCAT is definitely not a test to take unprepared for. It would be tough to prepare for the MCAT while simultaneously taking classes/working.

This more clinical volunteering experience the better.

Yes

1.) Would it be beneficial for me to do a postbacc program for one year and bust my butt and get into a linkage, or take the pre-reqs at either a CC or local state uni? (cost is a huge issue but lets face it, med school is a worthwhile investment).

They're a dime-a-dozen. Flip a coin. You can also do this DIY at a local CC or 4 yr school.

1.) Any postbacc programs that are 1 yr that anyone could recommend? I am from the NJ coast area(I would really like to commute but do not mind a 1.5 hr commute like Bryn Mawr).

Fist get into med school, then worry about residency. And the answer is no.

2.) With regards to residencies and future jobs, is it important to go to a top-ranked med school?
-If I had perfect scores, I love Columbia, UPenn, and Temple (who doesn't lol) but I know with my scores they are a long-shot to say the least.

USNWR should always be ignored.
3.) Are there any good postbacc or links to these programs? Or should I worry more about getting into med school and not about the us news ranking?

So Goro I am a little confused by your responses, I guess my huge issue is that I read too much on this forum and some people seem to say stay away from CC courses (since MD programs do not like to see them). I guess my main thing with the postbacc would be if I wanted to get into a highly ranked program, as well as allowing me to not have a glide year (with some linkage programs). Correct me if I am wrong but even getting all A/A-'s on the pre-reqs I have left, I do not think would help me get into something like even UPenn or Temple?

Siromas- so online most application deadlines seem to be October-December, but is that not how long I really want to wait to submit mine? You seem super knowledgeable so I hope it is ok that I am picking your brain and probably driving you crazy. My main goal (if possible) would be to start Med School the summer of 2018 (if I have that right with most programs start dates? That said, it seems like my options would only be getting the pre-reqs done fast and somehow managing to do the MCAT towards the end of the spring, or doing a postbacc with a linkage program?

I know the road to an MD is very tough, and I still am weighing that vs. a DPT but I like the pharmacology aspect of the MD and I know down the road I could regret not doing the MD, but I am sure if I did it I would not regret getting my DPT instead.

Thank you guys for all your help!

Hi There, I am very new to the forum (actually just signed up). I have been reading so much these past couple of weeks and I am really hoping to get an unbiased opinion on what everyone thinks is my best plan of attack to pursuing a career in the health field.

I am a career changer (currently working in accounting/big4/cpa exam) and can tell it is just not for me. I have always been interested in med school but to be quite honest, up until taking the CPA exam and passing it on my first try, I never had confidence in myself to believe I was smart enough to pursue a career in medicine.

With that said here is where I am at: thanks to my undergrad school, from what I could tell pre-req wise for most med schools I need 2 semesters of Bio, 1 semester of Chem, 2 semesters of Orgo (yikes). I have taken AP physics B and C in hs and took 2 semesters of physics with lab in college as well, along with a soc, 2 psych courses, stats, and Calc I and II. So I would really like to either A) apply to med school this fall or B) do a postbacc program with linkage so that either way I can hopefully start medical school in 2018!
The chem sequence alone (Chem 1/2 +Orgo 1/2) is a 4 semester project, and you're not even mentioning Biochem, which you now need for the MCAT and many schools. You have to take this after the Orgo sequence. So now you're at 5 semesters, plus then a 6th to study for the MCAT (can't study for it until after you've taken the pre-reqs). And you have to take the MCAT before applying, and you apply May-Aug, interview Aug-Mar, to matriculate the following Fall.
Also, AP Physics may or may not be accepted for the pre-req. Depends on the school and whether your undergrad has it listed as a transfer credit. Also, if it's been several years since you took those other classes, consider whether you can self-study enough to refresh your knowledge of them for the MCAT or whether you should retake them. If you have C's in any of them, you should probably consider retaking them, both for the information, and then because you could apply DO and get the grades replaced in your GPA (though not for MD).

So best case scenario, you can apply in summer of 2019 or 2020 to matriculate the next fall (2020 or 2021). Once you have everything together for your app, you apply as soon as the cycle opens for that year. You don't wait until the deadlines to apply with a low gpa, most seats will be filled before anyone looks at your app, and then you're at a double disadvantage and will most likely have wasted a lot of money on a cylce where you won't get accepted.
You could maybe shave time off that if you fork out mad money for a 1 year postbacc like Bryn Mawr, or do your pre-reqs at a school big enough to offer all those classes in fall/spring/summer so that you can start in Jan and go straight through.
But there's no way you'd be be able to start in 2018. Even with Bryn Mawn, it'd be at least 2019 before you could apply, and then the application cycle takes an entire year.

I have an undergrad 3.3 gpa (not sure if major gpa counts? but for business its 3.7) and with regards to postbacc I have a 1430 (750 math; 680 reading) for the SAT.
3.3 is low. Workable, but low. You need to get this up with sustained good grades in the pre-reqs, and maybe then some. And the only subset gpa that med schools will care about is your BCPM (Bio,chem,physics,math) gpa.
Nobody but the school you will do your prereqs at will care about your SAT (and maybe not even them, it you already have a bachelors)

Do the one that you can afford. The cost of this is way more than you likely realize. Don't go bankrupt for it.
Personally I did a DIY postbacc at my state school - signed up as a second-bacc student to be eligible for loans, good registration standing, and cheaper tuition as a FT student than paying per class. Still cost me a lot in loan money.

Not really. It is important to do well wherever you do go.
Worry more about putting together a competitive app first, and getting in somewhere. USNews is mainly just for institutional ego-stroking. Don't base any decisions on it.

4.) I was originally tossing up between getting my DPT vs. MD in PM&R, but after shadowing physicians I like the idea of having a more medical focus and being able to work in a hospital and diagnose as well as prescribe treatments (I love manual therapy a lot, so I will miss this by not doing the DPT but I weighed the pros and cons of both)

I know this is asking a lot, and if it is not already obvious I am stressed as to my best way to pursue a career in medicine, the internet is great but it can also make your head spin.

Thank you so much for everyone's honest answers, you have no idea how much it means!!
Shadow more. Make sure you really want to get into medicine for medicine's sake, and what that really entails, before you make the leap.
And read through the stickies at the top of the non-trad board here. There's a lot of good info that could help you make more informed decisions and answer questions you may not know how to ask yet.

While studying for your MCAT after all your prerequisites are finished would make life easier, it is not required to take all of them before your test. Plenty of people took the MCAT prior to finishing and scored well. Likewise, you can apply even if you still have a few classes left. I agree with the others to do a DIY post bacc. If you can do a second bachelors, all the better. You will still be finished in time to start August 2018, but you would need to take as many courses as you can in all of the semesters.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thank you so much for all of your replies, it definitely gives me a lot to think about.

SailorMD it is nice to know I would still have a shot at the MCAT without taking all the pre-reqs right away. Any specific ones you would recommend to do first?? I know it's a different exam and probably much easier but I took the CPA exam before having all the classes done and did well on that so maybe it is a good sign? I definitely do like the idea of a DIY because it is much cheaper, should I take courses at Rutgers U or is a CC ok? I know with having physics done already for most programs it seems I need 5-6 pre-reqs. Also if I do well in them is there a chance I can get into Robert Wood Johnson? I know that is a very good medical school so not sure about my chances.

I liked how Bryan Mawr almost gives me a "second chance" to do well enough and get into a top program, but like you all have mentioned it is not the cheapest of options. I always so I wish I wanted the DPT because it would be cheaper, but I know I would later on regret not getting the MD.

Thank you guys for all your time and help!

Also if anyone has any info on the best way to get familiar with bio and Chen like khan academy or something that would be great!

No absolutely not necessary. Go where you will be happy so that you can do as well as possible. Your class standing, USMLE scores. AOA will make or break you. Take tuition into account and minimize debt. During my transitional year (Morristown/Overlook hospitals) several of my co-interns (RWJMS grads) were going on to train derm at MGH and rad-onc at UCSF (super-competitive programs)

Prior to med school I was a PT (before DPT became the norm), as things stand now (eg.current healthcare set-up which is quite unpredictable at this time), you will have much higher income potential and longevity as a PMR doc than as a PT (you wanna be climbing onto a treatment table and do manual therapy when you are 60?!)

Also if anyone has any info on the best way to get familiar with bio and Chen like khan academy or something that would be great!

Absolutely, I personally like Khan Academy for everything (they even have MCAT prep), YMMV, so its best to experience with different test prep books and see which style fits you best. Definitely get your bio classes and and basic chemistry at bare minimum out the way. Extra points if you can squeeze ochem 1 during the summer. Most schools prefer that it be taken at a 4 year, so I would choose Rutgers over CC, but again, if cost is indeed a factor, then CC is acceptable as a last resort. At this point your GPA won't necessarily require you to do a formal post bacc, just smash the MCAT out the park and ace your science classes. You will more than likely need to study biochem on your own prior to the exam, and don't forget about psych/sociology.

vm26: thank you so much!! That is awesome to hear, I know RWJMS is an amazing med school (I am biased being an NJ native) and I know rankings do not matter at all but I am still always shocked when I see that it is not highly ranked. It will save me a ton of money so I am definitely hoping to go there, and then I have the added bonus of maybe during med school even fitting in just 1 or 2 shifts at my uncle's bar to have some sort of income and payoff my undergraduate loans. I was leaning towards the MD so I am really glad that you agree with that, do not need anymore sleepless nights wondering about DPT vs. MD haha.

SailorMD: Ok awesome!! My plan is doing bio and chem the spring semester while studying for the MCAT, I thankfully took physics, 2 psych courses (general and developmental), and a soc course in college. I swear I must be the weirdest accounting grad having all these liberal arts courses. Hoping with a 3.3 undergrad gpa, if I nail these Rutgers science courses and score reasonably well (30-33 MCAT realistic? I forget how the 2015 exam is scored) that I have a shot at Rutgers being in-state? I loved the linkage ability with the post bacc / a chance of going to a top-ranked med school but like you guys have said, at what cost is it worth it vs. the fact if I do well in school I will have opportunities no matter where my MD is from. I should be able to fit ochem and maybe a biochem course in the summer? Probably getting ahead of myself but I figure I should plan now.Khan academy is more than just high school level chem right? I remember getting 100's in that class, which is probably nothing like college chem (wishful thinkin).

You don't wait until the deadlines to apply with a low gpa, most seats will be filled before anyone looks at your app, and then you're at a double disadvantage and will most likely have wasted a lot of money on a cylce where you won't get accepted.

Should one want to get in to the 2019 cycle, when in 2018 should that person take the MCAT at the latest and still have a good chance before seats are filled?

Something I picked up in my former profession that I've also found to be quite true as a med school applicant: Don't rush to failure - speed is fine, but accuracy is final.

If it were me, I would set my sights on the EC19 cycle and backwards plan from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Should one want to get in to the 2019 cycle, when in 2018 should that person take the MCAT at the latest and still have a good chance before seats are filled?

Generally accepted advice here and elsewhere is that you want to take your MCAT no later than July of your application year. I took mine in June.

I'm taking Chemistry now and a lot of it is basically high school but on a higher volume. Khan Academy has all levels to their various subjects. I am only familiar with the new MCAT--I believe a 508 is the minimum considered to be competitive, but don't quote me. I'm taking Ochem in the Summer, so it can be done. Biochemistry normally requires two semesters of Ochem, so that may occur later in the fall. You should definitely have a shot at Rutgers.

Oh awesome! That is great to know, I have started doing some chem videos on khan now and taking notes/doing practice problems as a way to get use to the material. I figure the sooner I start, the better. I will be getting an MCAT review book soon... any suggestions? Rutgers is definitely my goal as it seems way more realistic than any other med schools that I dream about going too, and my debt will be considerably less so that is a plus.

Thank you all again for your responses, it has helped me "breathe" tremendously during this process.

Siromas- so online most application deadlines seem to be October-December, but is that not how long I really want to wait to submit mine? You seem super knowledgeable so I hope it is ok that I am picking your brain and probably driving you crazy. My main goal (if possible) would be to start Med School the summer of 2018 (if I have that right with most programs start dates? That said, it seems like my options would only be getting the pre-reqs done fast and somehow managing to do the MCAT towards the end of the spring, or doing a postbacc with a linkage program?

I know the road to an MD is very tough, and I still am weighing that vs. a DPT but I like the pharmacology aspect of the MD and I know down the road I could regret not doing the MD, but I am sure if I did it I would not regret getting my DPT instead.

Thank you guys for all your help!

Although the final deadline to apply to most schools fall on late autumn dates, you have to keep in mind that some schools accept students on a rolling basis, so that even by the time that their application deadline dates arrive, a good chunk of their seats may have already filled up. Your best bet is to submit as early as possible.

Also, note that you don't have to have all the class requirements fulfilled to apply- you just have to have them completed prior to matriculation.

Yes, I believe a lot of programs start mid/late summer as you said.

That makes sense, I definitely do not want to apply in the fall and risk not getting in because I took my time so I will definitely keep that in mine. I am still deciding between a DIY vs. a formal post-bacc, and while I do not think I'll get in I did apply to Bryn Mawr as it is an easy commute from my house so their would be no room and board costs. I know this program is super competitive, so I am trying to put my best foot forward and I will take it as a sign that I made the right choice if I somehow get in.

I know this is a lot to ask but would anyone mind reading my personal statement about why medicine? I am trying to make every part of my application as strong as possible. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to answer all my questions, it truly means a lot that you all have been helping me.

I am about to start my last semester at Columbia University postbac premedical program (accelerated). I just got my grades from last semester and received a C- in Organic Chemistry and am freaking out. My dean emailed me and told me we had to talk. Please help me! Is there anyway to get this grade changed to even a C? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!