Need some advice on becoming an EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyjb123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore at UCR and wanted to be an EMT so I can get some medical experience. I want to become a PA (physician assisstant) and figured this was a good way to earn that experience. I know that RCC/Moreno Valley has an EMT program but I wanted to see if there were any close to areas listed above.

Also from what I researched, I would need to apply at a college for the EMT classes/program and pass those, which would then allow me to take the test I need to become an EMT, and if I pass that then I need to look for a job. (If anything is incorrect or I have a few details wrong, could you point them out?)

Appreciate your help, really want to be an EMT for a year or two until I can apply for PA programs.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, it will be impossible to find an EMT job in Southern California. About 98% of the services there are extremely hard to get into, and paramedic only.

If you want to just see if you enjoy medicine, I would definitely recommend it. I just finished my EMT course a few weeks ago, and will be volunteering with a local ambulance service just to get some experience and see if medicine is what I truly enjoy. However, just realize that EMS and hospital medicine are two completely different worlds, and there may not be as many similarities as you think.

And yes, in order to be an EMT most likely you will need to become certified through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). You will finish your EMT course, most likely go and test at a state practical exam, and then go take a written test offered by the NREMT. After that, you can seek licensure to practice in your respective state.